Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 11-26-2015, 11:34 AM   #1
paulrow
paulrow began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
No longer able to connect to Kindle from Calibre

I have been using Calibre for several years with no problem connecting to my Kindle (3rd Gen) from my laptop using Win 7. However, my laptop has now died and I am unable to connect Calibre to my Kindle using either my desktop pc or another laptop, both running Win 7.

The Kindle shows up in windows as a removable drive but Calibre will not connect. I can open the documents folder but can't access the driveinfo.calibre folder.

I get the following error message:

calibre, version 2.30.0
ERROR: Error: Error communicating with device

Failed to access files in the main memory of your device. You should contact the device manufacturer for support. Common fixes are: try a different USB cable/USB port on your computer. If you device has a "Reset to factory defaults" type of setting somewhere, use it. Underlying error: [Errno 13] Permission denied: 'L:\\driveinfo.calibre'

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 87, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 463, in _get_device_information
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\usbms\driver.py", line 109, in get_device_information
IOError: Failed to access files in the main memory of your device. You should contact the device manufacturer for support. Common fixes are: try a different USB cable/USB port on your computer. If you device has a "Reset to factory defaults" type of setting somewhere, use it. Underlying error: [Errno 13] Permission denied: 'L:\\driveinfo.calibre'

I have tried running v2.44.1 but the results is the same.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
paulrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 03:37 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
driveinfo.calibre is a FILE
You should be able to open it with Notepad.exe if it is still good.

If not:
I suggest you try to repair that file system. It has become damaged
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 09:54 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Reformat your Kindle drive as FAT32.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 06:53 AM   #4
paulrow
paulrow began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Thanks for that.

I have been able to open driveinfo.calibre with Notepad.

It shows:

{"prefix": "E:/", "last_library_uuid": "e1e38823-5c56-40cd-8898-01b47c67da66", "device_store_uuid": "c778b1c1-4ec6-433e-9bf3-bbe3b9f492f8", "calibre_version": "2.35.0", "device_name": "Amazon Kindle", "date_last_connected": "2015-09-09T09:47:33.545000+00:00", "location_code": "main"}

What do I need to edit?
paulrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 09:46 AM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
That was just a test that the file was still accessible.
If you could not open it, Calibre would have no better luck

BTW that is dated 9 Sep 15 and you were using Calibre 2.35

How many books? FAT has limits on how many files in the drive root (\ ) I just use author_sort-(1st letter) folders there, so I never hit the limit

You probably should reformat as Kovid suggests to FAT32 . you will lose the reading progress status as you will need to reload
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote