Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-10-2012, 10:17 PM   #1
Gilgamesh
Gilgamesh shines like a glazed doughnut.Gilgamesh shines like a glazed doughnut.Gilgamesh shines like a glazed doughnut.Gilgamesh shines like a glazed doughnut.Gilgamesh shines like a glazed doughnut.Gilgamesh shines like a glazed doughnut.Gilgamesh shines like a glazed doughnut.Gilgamesh shines like a glazed doughnut.Gilgamesh shines like a glazed doughnut.Gilgamesh shines like a glazed doughnut.Gilgamesh shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: none
Charging the Kobo Touch

Does the Kobo Touch need to be turned on before it will charge? It seems that I have to have it turned on or in sleep mode in order for it to charge.

If this is really the way it works, it seems to be a bit of bad planning on Kobo's part. Why would you need to turn it on in order to charge it?
Gilgamesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 10:23 PM   #2
RareBird
Addict
RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
I've charged mine from dead so I'm going to go with no on this one.
RareBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2012, 11:19 PM   #3
TonyToews
Evangelist
TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Glo
No, it doesn't need to be turned on to charge. Although it might very well turn itself on when plugged into a charger.
TonyToews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 11:57 PM   #4
Gilgamesh
Gilgamesh shines like a glazed doughnut.Gilgamesh shines like a glazed doughnut.Gilgamesh shines like a glazed doughnut.Gilgamesh shines like a glazed doughnut.Gilgamesh shines like a glazed doughnut.Gilgamesh shines like a glazed doughnut.Gilgamesh shines like a glazed doughnut.Gilgamesh shines like a glazed doughnut.Gilgamesh shines like a glazed doughnut.Gilgamesh shines like a glazed doughnut.Gilgamesh shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: none
Charging the Kobo

Thanks for that.

I was wondering because on my USB wall charger there is a little light that is red when the unit is charging and turns green when it is finished charging.

When the Kobo is turned off, the light will stay green but as soon as I turn it on, the light will turn red and begin charging. It will turn green later once the charge is complete. It usually continues charging even though the Kobo battery says it is full.

It also asks if I want to connect to a computer when I plug in the wall charger.
Gilgamesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 07:34 PM   #5
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilgamesh View Post
It usually continues charging even though the Kobo battery says it is full..

It also asks if I want to connect to a computer when I plug in the wall charger.
When the KT is connected to the USB, it is probably drawing power from that connection, which is why your charger is showing that it is "charging" (which just means that something is drawing power).

The KT sees the power coming in from the USB port and assumes that you are connected to a computer. Either answer the question, or don't...
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2012, 08:08 PM   #6
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
If it's off when you start to charge it will start up on its own.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 08:15 AM   #7
tsb1
Enthusiast
tsb1 can name that ebook in five wordstsb1 can name that ebook in five wordstsb1 can name that ebook in five wordstsb1 can name that ebook in five wordstsb1 can name that ebook in five wordstsb1 can name that ebook in five wordstsb1 can name that ebook in five wordstsb1 can name that ebook in five wordstsb1 can name that ebook in five wordstsb1 can name that ebook in five wordstsb1 can name that ebook in five words

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Terminator View Post
If it's off when you start to charge it will start up on its own.
I use mine until it runs out of charge (in the hope that the battery indicator will show correctly (still doesn't - shows a quarter charge left on the indicator when it runs out) and it switches itself off. When I plug in my charger it turns itself on and goes through the power on sequence.
tsb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 02:21 PM   #8
GHG
GHG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GHG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GHG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GHG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GHG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GHG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GHG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GHG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GHG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GHG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GHG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I believe it does need to be on. I answered the Connect to Computer question as No one time and the Touch did not charge. I always answer yes now and have had no problems charging the device with the charger.

Last edited by GHG; 02-12-2012 at 02:31 PM.
GHG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 06:35 PM   #9
Mollynix
Mollynix began at the beginning.

I just bought my Kobo Touch and am charging it connected to the USB port on my laptop. My Kobo screen reads "CONNECTED AND CHARGING" and hasn't changed for about 2 hours. There's a little icon on the top left of the Kobo screen, which is white on the left and some kind of black symbol on the right..haven't a clue what that means. My question is...how do I know when it has fully charged?
Mollynix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 12:13 PM   #10
RareBird
Addict
RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
When my Kobo Touch is completely charged a check mark appears in the battery icon and the message on screen changes to say it's fully charged.
RareBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 06:07 PM   #11
Mollynix

now I have another problem..I'm having a deuce of a time powering off and on. Takes about 10 trys to do either. I see this seems to be a common accurrence with some of the forum members. I'm wondering if I should just take it back and exchange it..and TRY the new one before I take it home or should I just hang in here and hope for the best!?
Old 02-15-2012, 06:42 PM   #12
Mollynix

problem solved..you need to press down as you slide and hold!!!
Old 02-15-2012, 08:10 PM   #13
plib
Guru
plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsb1 View Post
I use mine until it runs out of charge (in the hope that the battery indicator will show correctly (still doesn't - shows a quarter charge left on the indicator when it runs out) and it switches itself off. When I plug in my charger it turns itself on and goes through the power on sequence.
I understand why you're running the battery all the way down, but I think that completely discharging Li-Ion/Li-Poly batteries can adversely affect their lifespan - which is significant when they're not user replaceable. Most guides I've seen recommend recharging between 25% to 50% of full charge if possible.
plib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 07:19 AM   #14
tsb1
Enthusiast
tsb1 can name that ebook in five wordstsb1 can name that ebook in five wordstsb1 can name that ebook in five wordstsb1 can name that ebook in five wordstsb1 can name that ebook in five wordstsb1 can name that ebook in five wordstsb1 can name that ebook in five wordstsb1 can name that ebook in five wordstsb1 can name that ebook in five wordstsb1 can name that ebook in five wordstsb1 can name that ebook in five words

Quote:
Originally Posted by plib View Post
I understand why you're running the battery all the way down, but I think that completely discharging Li-Ion/Li-Poly batteries can adversely affect their lifespan - which is significant when they're not user replaceable. Most guides I've seen recommend recharging between 25% to 50% of full charge if possible.
You're right. Since I wrote the post I found this website http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/a...ased_batteries so will be charging more frequently. As the indicator is still not working correctly after several charges it seems unlikely that it will ever do so. It'll also stop that annoying running out of charge on the bus.
tsb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 12:18 AM   #15
TonyToews
Evangelist
TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Glo
FWIW I expect within a year to see Kobo batteries available on ebay along with detailed instructions on how to replace them. I can still see lots of such for my six year old Palm TX along with the very small screwdriver.

As others have indicated I never let it go down too far without charging but that's just me.
TonyToews is offline   Reply With Quote