Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 12-01-2011, 03:40 PM   #1
mrobertsbcn
mrobertsbcn began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Mobi line spacing and endnote references

My ebook (a conversion from a Word created html file into MOBI, using Calibre and for use on Amazon Kindle) contains a large number of endnotes.
Everything works brilliantly, but the footnote reference numbers in the main body of the text cause the line they are in to shift.
For some reason, some of the numbers are like this (13) in a perfect line after the text, and cause no problem, but most of them, for no apparent reason, are raised slightly, which causes the whole line to shift down to almost overlap with the line below. It looks horrible.
I had the same problem with ordinal numbers (1st, 2nd, etc), but solved that by using normal letters rather than the little raised type. But I can't find any way of making endnote references act as normal text so as to stop the lines from shifting.
I have tried everything, but can't seem to sort this problem out. Does anybody else have this problem, and do they know how to sort it out?

Thanks!!!!
mrobertsbcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 04:22 PM   #2
Trewaters
eBook Engineer
Trewaters began at the beginning.

Device: None
I have not seen this issue before so I am guessing.

I wonder if your conversion from Word to HTML might be the problem. My conversions from MS Word to HTML have lots of HTML markup "that isn't necessary" added in. I would wonder if your numbers that are displaying incorrectly might not be what they appear in MS Word. For example is the number a super/or sub-script and not a normal number as it appears. I can't be sure without seeing the html code for the numbers that are printing wrong.

Good luck.

If you find an answer to your issue I would be interested to here the solution.
Trewaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-23-2011, 10:41 AM   #3
sjkramer
Connoisseur
sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone
It sounds like your footnote reference markers are superscript (for example, tagged <sup>1</sup>. This means that they are raised above the normal baseline on which text rests. And since there is not enough space between lines (leading) to prevent the superscripts from crashing into the text above, Kindle adds space between the lines. You should open your files in an editor and clean out the <sup> tags. I do this and replace them with brackets to mark them as different from the rest of the text.
sjkramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 12:17 PM   #4
Trewaters
eBook Engineer
Trewaters began at the beginning.

Device: None
@mrobertsbcn- You should post the HTML for the problem area. That would help determine if the error is in the code.
Trewaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 12:36 AM   #5
athol
athol began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I have a similar problem, as does my friend with a poetry book. I use the Kindle Format export from InDesign... and of course it squeezes out all the blank lines...making book of quotes or poetry unreadable. How do we force blank lines as a minimum after a paragraph?
athol is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
endnotes, footnotes, line, spacing