Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 08-26-2011, 03:18 AM   #1
reader363
reader363 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Request New Column Type to support multiple URL addresses

For your consideration...

Would love to have a new Column type definition for "URL web addresses" in the drop-down list when creating a new custom column. So that I could click that web address from either the Library catalog display or the Book Details to execute and retrieve that web page in my browser. Similar function to how Manage Author link currently works except controlled by me through custom columns so that I can have as many as I need.

To explain..

The idea here being that it is now more common place for authors to have multiple web addresses associated to their work. For example, there's usually an author's official web site, alternate websites for their other pen names, contact social media sites (facebook, twitter, myspace), other sites or forums that author contributes to, etc.

Plus, it is now becoming more common for popular series authors to offer a specific URL address for specific series book multimedia content and book trailers. These are usually different URLs from their home author sites.

Another web address I'd like to have in my Library catalog is to identify the source from which I purchased the book. For example, I'd create a custom column with that source URL address so that I can click it to go its homepage or download page of that merchant.

So the above is what I need to support multiple web addresses.

---
Approach to how to get show these multiple addresses is up for debate. Some of these multiple addresses (not all) that I talked about like author official site, social media sites, etc. are unique to the author and could be added to an expanded Author Manager Link dialog. Couple of downsides to that approach is: 1) Those addresses don't appear in any catalog CSV extract using the 'create catalog' function. So that's why I was thinking it would be good to have these multiple addresses over in the actual Library catalog display so the extract would pick it up. And while we're at it, yes, it would be nice if there was an option to have your current Author Manager link also appear there for same reason. 2) Manage Author doesn't allow me to create custom column fields to have as many as I need.

A few of the web addresses that I mentioned are specific to certain books or series and must appear in the Catalog library. Wouldn't make sense to have those in the Author Manager dialog.

I would prefer all the addresses appear in Catalog Library if possible and that way all would appear in catalog CSV extract. If you have to keep some of it in Author Manager dialog, then OK but sure would help if the Author Manager list itself could also a catalog CSV extract function.
reader363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 10:34 AM   #2
tweebee
Enthusiast
tweebee doesn't littertweebee doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, Kindle Paperwhite 3
I second this request also. As I build up my new library, I have links that I would like to add to my books and I haven't quite figure out how I should do that to keep them consistent, and have thought that a URLs field would be nice. Something along the line or similar to the ISBN field, where I can add links to each book.
tweebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-26-2011, 11:12 AM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You can put as many URLS as you like into a comments type field and they will be displayed in book details.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote