Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-22-2011, 02:39 PM   #1
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
Collections Glitch

How do I stop my 350 from adding collections each time I download a book? I've set up my own collections & want to add the books myself. But each time I download a new book over 100 collections are created with one book being added to all of them. For example if I download a mystery, Sony creates a lot of collections like adventure, adventure action, adventure book, adventure mystery & on & on. And then puts that one download in each category.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 03:17 PM   #2
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Are you getting metadata from calibre? It sounds like you are fetching metadata, and it is assigning tags when it does so. Sony reads the tags as collections. I usually turn off the option to assign tags when I fetch metadata in calibre.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2011, 03:26 PM   #3
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don't think so. I've been downloading from the Sony Reader Library. But I do transfer to Calibre from my 350. That shouldn't have anything to do with the collections I wouldn't think.
Old 02-22-2011, 03:30 PM   #4
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
When you have plugged your e-reader and Sony Reader Library running, there will be, in the left pane under the Reader, a folder/button/menu entry with the label Sync. Click it and unselect the check-button "Books". In that way, the books won't be automatically download.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 03:33 PM   #5
Pomtroll
Guru

And that will stop my Sony from making over 100 collections & putting the book in each one?
Advert
Old 02-22-2011, 03:34 PM   #6
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm a little confused by your workflow. Maybe if we answer these questions then somebody will be able to help you better.

1) Do I understand correctly that you are buying the books from the Sony ebookstore through Reader Library software?

2) You have made your own collection names in the Reader Library software, yes?

3) Do you use the Reader Library or calibre to transfer the books to your ereader?

4) Your post says that you transfer to calibre from your 350. I am not sure why you do that? Did you maybe mean the opposite? That you transfer from calibre to your 350?
Old 02-22-2011, 03:51 PM   #7
Pomtroll
Guru

I'm a little confused by your workflow. Maybe if we answer these questions then somebody will be able to help you better.

1) Do I understand correctly that you are buying the books from the Sony ebookstore through Reader Library software? Yes & also from Smashwords

2) You have made your own collection names in the Reader Library software, yes? No, on my Sony350.

3) Do you use the Reader Library or calibre to transfer the books to your ereader? At the moment I am using the Reader Library to transfer to my reader.

4) Your post says that you transfer to calibre from your 350. I am not sure why you do that? Did you maybe mean the opposite? That you transfer from calibre to your 350? No I am slowly transferring all my books to Calibre for sorting & storing them (from my Nook, Kindle & Sony). BUT if it would make more sense I will use Calibre to download my books to my 350.
.................................................. ........................................
My concern is that even if I download one book from the Sony store to my reader via the Reader Library, It causes my 350 to make over a 100 collections based on tags & then putting that one book into each collection created. Now I'm not sure why it is doing this.
Old 02-22-2011, 04:01 PM   #8
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

The books that are being added to the new collections - are they from Sony only, Smashwords only or both? I think that it is the communication between Calibre & your 350 that is creating the extra collections. I don't think that it is the communication between Reader Library & your 350.

Hopefully someone will come up with a better suggestion. My best recommendation is that maybe you should just go ahead get your calibre library setup with your various sources. Cleanup the tags in calibre for what you want the collection names to be. Then retransfer the books back to your 350.
Old 02-22-2011, 04:06 PM   #9
Pomtroll
Guru

I guess I'm not clear. The collections are on the Sony350. Whenever I download a book from either Sony store or Smashwords via The Reader Library to the 350 this causes my Sony 350 to create over 100 collection titles & then to enter that one book into each one.

I hope I'm making sense.
Old 02-22-2011, 04:49 PM   #10
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

Yes, you are making sense. I understand that the collections are on your ereader. It sounds like that the bookstore where you purchased the book had various categories that the book fits into like action adventure assigned to the file metadata. This metadata was then read by your 350 to auto-create collections. I have never had that happen to me when I transfer a book via Reader Library. However, I have had that happen when I transfer a book via calibre.

You could try deleting the media.XML file on your ereader. It will regenerate itself when it reloads after you disconnect the USB cable. However, you might lose any collections that you have created yourself on your 350.

I am curious. When you connect your ereader via USB, do you have a file called metadata.db on your ereader?
Old 02-22-2011, 05:01 PM   #11
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
100??? The most I've seen per book was roughly four!
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 05:17 PM   #12
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
100??? The most I've seen per book was roughly four!
Yes, me too. Usually less than a half dozen or so.

Pomtroll, is this just happening with one particular book or every book?
Old 02-22-2011, 05:34 PM   #13
Pomtroll
Guru

So far it is happening with every book. At least I think so. I never checked out the collections till I had around 10 books on my Sony. I've only had the 350 about a month. I'll give a few things a try when I get home. If all else fails I'll check with CS.

It seems the collection program on my Sony 350 is taking words from pages in the book & making them tags? to form collections from.
Old 02-22-2011, 05:38 PM   #14
Pomtroll
Guru

Bookworm wrote: I am curious. When you connect your ereader via USB, do you have a file called metadata.db on your ereader?

How do I bring up anything on my reader when it is connected via USB. All I get is charging battery & I can't get any other screen? Even if I press options no other screen comes up.
Old 02-22-2011, 05:38 PM   #15
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

Tags from pages? That would be really odd. Have you tried a soft reset yet?