Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 06-07-2010, 04:28 PM   #16
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
I suspect the windows 7 has changed the default format and that window xp could also generate the same file format if the user changed the default setting. It is unlikely that Windows 7 can really do something in formatting that earlier systems cannot do. It is likely just a different default.

Forcing people to buy Windows 7 is certainly not the solution.

Note I checked the format of the internal memory and it is definitely FAT32. I believe the default for XP and perhaps Mac's is FAT (FAT16). This may be the problem.

Dale
Interesting.

I just hooked mine to Ubuntu and looked at it with Disk Utility :

And my main was FAT (16 bit) and the 4G SD card was FAT32

Maybe I reformatted along the way. The (small) size of the internal does not dictate that FAT32 must be used as with larger sizes.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 07:57 PM   #17
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
I have long believed it has more to do with the way it is partitioned, not the filesystem type. There was a 'trick' often found on USB keys for example, where they appeared to have multiple partitions, all referring to the same storage space, and I think this was to ensure they'd work with lots of different computer OS's. I found out because you needed to remove them and make one simple partition to make a USB key bootable (I did this all in linux). I thought this was what the HP utility, that everyone in Windows seemed to be using, did, also.
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 10:19 PM   #18
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
i found a difference which might be helpful in finding a OS independent way of reformatting the device:
  • when looked on the drive info itself the model is reported as "Linux File-Stor Gadget" (instead of hardware manufacturer namestring)
  • the partition table type is reported as "loop" in contrary to the usual "msdos"
  • the internal drive can't be mounted,when the device is off (in contrary to a lot of other usb-storage mountable gadgets like mp3 players which even have to be off when mounted)
this leads me to folowing assumption:
what we see as "internal drive" is in fact a "virtual drive" created by the readers system. that is why conventional formatting attempts fail

the gparted screenshot is attached.

I'm not going to make a test-format (and maybe a flash session) now, since i do not have a win7 box @ hand (ATM) should it fail.
But someone in NEED might to try following steps (after getting gparted of course: http://gparted.sourceforge.net/download.php) in case of Linux-users: use your distros repository
  1. select the right drive (size of 300 something MiB is your hint)
  2. choose "create partition table" under menupoint "Drive"
  3. in the option "extended" there is "loop" to choose from
  4. choose "format as > fat(16 or 32) under menupoint "Partition"
  5. click on "Apply"
and hope it works

would be very happy about reports, in the meantime i'll try to find out additional facts altough I believe an enlightning word from the factory guys or firmware gurus 'd be better than my shots in the dark.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BEBOOK_in_gparted.jpeg
Views:	313
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	52989  

Last edited by Freeshadow; 06-07-2010 at 10:22 PM. Reason: forgot attachment
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 11:34 PM   #19
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
I tried with gparted - not sure if I set it exactly the same as you suggest (it was a while ago) but I had no luck getting it to work.
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 11:33 AM   #20
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
the "loop" setting must be the most important one.
"msdos" means the part table is written ON the storage dev, in the way a x86 would expect it to be. as far as I could find out this isn't the same for images (floppies, or VM "harddisks")
no offence to be meant, but if you don't remember to have changed this setting I simply assumed that you have not, since the partition table type is by default set to "msdos" (what in the most cases is the right way to do it) you would have to open the "extended" submenu and switch it there.

btw. I know, I wouldn't have done it too, having no idea that the formatting has to be done in a different-than-usual way I still don't know if this would actually help, I was only looking around for differences and hints, which might provide us with an OS-independent formatting solution. since parted recognizes this partition, I assume it should be (at least by the factory guys) to give us a parted script or something similar to to format the storage area w/o the need of reflashing
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote