Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-28-2014, 04:45 AM   #136
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
That certainly looks easy enough, if I ever go back to KOreader, I'll upgrade the memory first. But I decided not to keep it (for now at least, Cool Reader seems better suited for me) and it uninstalled perfectly using the 3.3.1 uninstaller tshering was nice enough to post on the previous page, no problems at all.

But before uninstalling I've was reading on it for a several hours, clicking everything in sight changing options, closing it, starting it, etc., trying to make it freeze up and it hasn't frozen up again. Maybe when it locks up while in the settings menu, it corrupts something. So if you're still getting freezes after installing 4.0, 4.0a, and the preventfreeze.zip patch, I'd suggest first reinstalling the preventfreeze patch again. It definitely seems to have stopped the freezing for me.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 11:18 AM   #137
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by kfcghcdy View Post
[Hidden link spammer banned - MODERATOR]
This thread is a sticky. If you mean "Ripplinger's" reinstall preventfreeze comment, I could add it to the guide along with the link.

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 08-29-2014 at 11:21 AM.
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2014, 11:41 AM   #138
SHunter101
Connoisseur
SHunter101 really knows where his or her towel isSHunter101 really knows where his or her towel isSHunter101 really knows where his or her towel isSHunter101 really knows where his or her towel isSHunter101 really knows where his or her towel isSHunter101 really knows where his or her towel isSHunter101 really knows where his or her towel isSHunter101 really knows where his or her towel isSHunter101 really knows where his or her towel isSHunter101 really knows where his or her towel isSHunter101 really knows where his or her towel is

Device: Kobo AuraH2O, Glo, AuraHD, JBC2
Hi

Using the new Aura H2O:

koreader freezes. The main title of koreader is higher than normal with the top one-third of the text cut off the top margin. The text is also smaller than normal, compared to the Aura HD (works fine on the HD).

Also, CoolReader does not work properly. It loads fine, but the menu system is not responsive. Nothing can be selected, not even the exit button. Needed to reboot the device.

Any suggestions.

SH
SHunter101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 06:51 PM   #139
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHunter101 View Post
Hi

Using the new Aura H2O:

koreader freezes. The main title of koreader is higher than normal with the top one-third of the text cut off the top margin. The text is also smaller than normal, compared to the Aura HD (works fine on the HD).

Also, CoolReader does not work properly. It loads fine, but the menu system is not responsive. Nothing can be selected, not even the exit button. Needed to reboot the device.

Any suggestions.

SH
Sure... Buy two additional H2O's and supply them to the main developers of the two alternate readers so they can solve the issue
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 07:54 AM   #140
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Added newest Features list to Post#6

Added Note that Koreader users should use one of the two other launchers, instead of "fmon".

Luck;
Ken
Advert
Old 11-08-2014, 04:24 PM   #141
vugtitan
Addict
vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminrussell View Post
@Ken, works fine on the Mini (with FW 2.6.2). I would recommend a slight change to your instructions in step 11 and 12. For step 11 you say to copy the koreader folder from the zip and then step 12 says to go do step 7 again. I think step 11 should just say to copy the koreader folder and the koboroot.tgz file from the koreader zip to the .kobo folder, splitting this up in two steps is not needed from what I can see.
(one odd glitch seems to be that after installing koreader, the first time you select Library Menu it automatically opens koreader without selecting the koreader icon, but after that first time the Library menu works properly.)

you said it works fine on the kobo mini? i have always been very annoyed at the lack of a back button in search and lack of navigation on the kobo mini.

i have not upgraded the firmware from 2.5.1

so would you be able to install the the file explorer on it?

i am only interested in the file explorer and not bothered with anything else.

what procedure would i use to install the file explorer on the kobo mini version 2.5.1 and would it work with the touch screen as it has no buttons at all.
vugtitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 09:00 PM   #142
Ken Maltby
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by vugtitan View Post
you said it works fine on the kobo mini? i have always been very annoyed at the lack of a back button in search and lack of navigation on the kobo mini.

i have not upgraded the firmware from 2.5.1

so would you be able to install the the file explorer on it?

i am only interested in the file explorer and not bothered with anything else.

what procedure would i use to install the file explorer on the kobo mini version 2.5.1 and would it work with the touch screen as it has no buttons at all.
What "file explorer" are you referring to? You can "Browse" some of the file structure and some file types thru "Scripts" in the Kobo Start Menu. Koreader has a "File Manager" that lets you go through the file system, but it also has limits on the types of files it will list, mostly documents. The same for Coolreader. If you connect through the USB cable (from the Kobo Start Menu, or Nickel) you can access both the internal uSD card and the external uSD card from your PC, using the PC's file explorer.

In fact using the Nickel USB connect function, is normally how the alternative programs are added.

Luck;
Ken
Old 11-15-2014, 07:42 PM   #143
vugtitan
Addict
vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
What "file explorer" are you referring to? You can "Browse" some of the file structure and some file types thru "Scripts" in the Kobo Start Menu. Koreader has a "File Manager" that lets you go through the file system, but it also has limits on the types of files it will list, mostly documents. The same for Coolreader. If you connect through the USB cable (from the Kobo Start Menu, or Nickel) you can access both the internal uSD card and the external uSD card from your PC, using the PC's file explorer.

In fact using the Nickel USB connect function, is normally how the alternative programs are added.

Luck;
Ken
File explorer as in an android or windows os.

lets you list folders or files as in windows explorer.

i tried to read the procedure but its confusing...
Old 11-15-2014, 09:28 PM   #144
Ken Maltby
Wizard

Quote:
File explorer as in an android or windows os.

lets you list folders or files as in windows explorer.

i tried to read the procedure but its confusing...
Both the KOreader and CoolReader programs include the means to view the file structure, for ebook/document file types. As far as I know there is no separate program such as the "File explorer" you describe, there is an ability to view the file structure and select files that are read in the reader programs.
The one in KOreader looks a little like windows explorer, but it only lists folders and files that the program can read/display.

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 11-16-2014 at 08:13 AM.
Old 11-18-2014, 03:54 PM   #145
vugtitan
Addict

Quote:
The one in KOreader looks a little like windows explorer, but it only lists folders and files that the program can read/display.

Luck;
Ken
But that is exactly what i want instead of stupid "collections" and such like.

i want folder A filled with books from author A
Folder B with books by author B and so on...
Old 11-18-2014, 07:42 PM   #146
Ken Maltby
Wizard

Quote:
But that is exactly what i want instead of stupid "collections" and such like.

i want folder A filled with books from author A
Folder B with books by author B and so on...
Yes, you can do that and if you put those folders inside a "Hidden" folder, they will not be processed by Nickel/Kobo. You can have the file structure you want and both KOreader and Coolreader will be able to find and allow you to read the files. (To make a Hidden folder, just give it a name that starts with a dot/period like; ".Books". You can do it with windows explorer by just naming it with a dot/period on both ends ".Books." and the trailing dot will disappear, leaving you with the ".Books" folder you want.)

Luck;
Ken
Old 11-20-2014, 03:38 PM   #147
vugtitan
Addict

Quote:
Yes, you can do that and if you put those folders inside a "Hidden" folder, they will not be processed by Nickel/Kobo. You can have the file structure you want and both KOreader and Coolreader will be able to find and allow you to read the files. (To make a Hidden folder, just give it a name that starts with a dot/period like; ".Books". You can do it with windows explorer by just naming it with a dot/period on both ends ".Books." and the trailing dot will disappear, leaving you with the ".Books" folder you want.)

Luck;
Ken
Thats great information.Thanks.The only thing i need to know is how to install koreader on the kobo mini.I did read the instructions many tomes but unfortunately they are confusing with the numerous postings and revisions.

what i need in 5 or 6 lines what to do with the koreader software which have i downloaded.
Old 11-20-2014, 07:46 PM   #148
Ken Maltby
Wizard

Quote:
Thats great information.Thanks.The only thing i need to know is how to install koreader on the kobo mini.I did read the instructions many tomes but unfortunately they are confusing with the numerous postings and revisions.

what i need in 5 or 6 lines what to do with the koreader software which have i downloaded.
The Koreader and Coolreader ports need some way to launch/start them. The most useful launching program, in my opinion, is Tshering's "Kobo Start Menu". He has just released a new version. The installation of that is very simple if you haven't had KSM on your devise previously.

For Koreader all you need do is copy the koreader folder from the download zip file, into the .kobo directory of your kobo device.

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 11-20-2014 at 07:53 PM.
Old 01-08-2015, 09:24 AM   #149
Heiderose
Heiderose began at the beginning.

Device: PB 623
Thank you very much!

Let me first thank you for your excellent work!!!!

With your help I was finally able to install the startmenu and koreader.
All other description caused serious problems (Koreader explained for example "file missing" - all in all I was forced for 3 Hardresets and was considering to sent the reader back. But now everthing works!
With two minor problems:
First calibre has not detected my hidden book file. So I must synchronise with a folder on my desktop (windows 7) and than synchronise this file with the folder in Kobo - but ok I can live with.
Do you know by chance (I know this belongs to calibre issues in first line, sorry) if there is a possibility to organize my books in genres - I have done that in Calibre and it works fine with my Android mobile via Calibre Companion, but is there a possibility with Kobo as well.
And second I was not able to adapt the Koreader to the size of my screen on every second page or so a line is missing or shown only partial
Sorry for this lengthly reply
Heiderose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 09:56 AM   #150
Ken Maltby
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heiderose View Post
Let me first thank you for your excellent work!!!!

With your help I was finally able to install the startmenu and koreader.
All other description caused serious problems (Koreader explained for example "file missing" - all in all I was forced for 3 Hardresets and was considering to sent the reader back. But now everthing works!
With two minor problems:
First calibre has not detected my hidden book file. So I must synchronise with a folder on my desktop (windows 7) and than synchronise this file with the folder in Kobo - but ok I can live with.
Do you know by chance (I know this belongs to calibre issues in first line, sorry) if there is a possibility to organize my books in genres - I have done that in Calibre and it works fine with my Android mobile via Calibre Companion, but is there a possibility with Kobo as well.
And second I was not able to adapt the Koreader to the size of my screen on every second page or so a line is missing or shown only partial
Sorry for this lengthly reply
Koreader has a number of ways to search and work with calibre, I tried to provide a short description of two of them here. They are WiFi methods. There is also the means to search the Metadata database that calibre maintains on the Kobo device. To have calibre send books to your hidden folder you use "Send to file", instead of send to device.

To select an "in-box" folder you long press the folder you want to use and answer the popup.

Not sure I understand your second issue, is that with PDFs?

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 01-08-2015 at 10:11 AM.