Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-28-2013, 05:11 AM   #166
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluribus View Post
Very good. Of course, I never have to worry since I neither share nor lend.

"Neither a borrower nor a lender be.
Take all the gifts that you can get.
Steal what isn't free."
Or, to put it another way:

A Yorkshireman's advice to his son
Eat all, drink all, pay nowt
See all, hear all, say nowt
And if ever tha does owt for nowt, allus do it for thisen

My dad, a proud Yorkshireman, gave a mug to my uncle, an equally proud Devonian, with that poem on it. My uncle used it until the day he died.
avantman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:32 AM   #167
rkw
Old & Busted Hotness
rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0,Asus TF700T, K1-2-3-Fire
By dropping DRM wouldn't publishers actually increase profit per copy sold? They're still charging the same price for the book only they're not paying the per copy licensing fees for the DRM itself.

To my mind it's that's simple. Decrease overhead equals higher profit per copy. It seems that basic to me.

Yeah I'm aware of all the arguments for the pro DRM camp. But those of been discussed often around here.
rkw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:05 AM   #168
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkw View Post
By dropping DRM wouldn't publishers actually increase profit per copy sold? They're still charging the same price for the book only they're not paying the per copy licensing fees for the DRM itself.
Amazon don't charge for DRM; they own the DRM system.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:46 AM   #169
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
That's an extra 2-20% profit per ebook right there.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:49 AM   #170
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Re: music industry revenue streams:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...259031536.html

Quote:
Georgia singer/songwriter Corey Smith has never had a traditional record contract, but in 2008 he grossed about $4 million from touring, merchandise and other revenue, yielding roughly $2 million that was reinvested in the singer's business, according to his manager, Marty Winsch. Mr. Smith makes his recordings downloadable at no cost from his website, and Mr. Winsch emphasizes that they are promotion for his live shows, not the other way around. "We don't look at it as 'free,' " he says. "When people come to the website and download the music, they're giving us their time, their most valuable commodity."
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:49 AM   #171
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
That's an extra 2-20% profit per ebook right there.
Yep. If you're selling a book for 99c and get 70% of the selling price, the 22c that an ADE bookstore charge for DRM would cut your income from 70c to 48c; a reduction of 31%.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:50 AM   #172
rkw
Old & Busted Hotness
rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Very true. I neglected to include that in my thought process. However that's not the case with Adobe's DRM correct?
Old 03-28-2013, 10:50 AM   #173
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Very true. I neglected to include that in my thought process. However that's not the case with Adobe's DRM correct?
Correct. Adobe charge 22c (which the author/publisher pays).
Old 03-28-2013, 11:07 AM   #174
rkw
Old & Busted Hotness

Quote:
thanks Harry. That was kind of the direction I was thinking, the publisher could save some cash and increase profits without lifting a finger by getting rid of DRM.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:28 AM   #175
calvin-c
Guru
calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moon+ Pro
Quote:
thanks Harry. That was kind of the direction I was thinking, the publisher could save some cash and increase profits without lifting a finger by getting rid of DRM.
This assumes either no change or an increase in sales after getting rid of DRM. Now I don't argue my belief that getting rid of DRM will increase sales-but that's belief. What's needed is to prove the assumptions behind statements purporting to be fact. Can you prove that getting rid of DRM will not decrease sales?
calvin-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:32 AM   #176
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Overly simplistic. They could increase profit per book sold, but the question is whether they would increase profit overall.

They have very highly paid financial analysts and executives who believe that the extra 22 cents is compensated for by the losses they avoid by blocking casual sharing. We can argue our opinions and anecdotal evidence, but they are banking their business on it, so I presume their research is, um, at least as thorough as those who post about it here.

Clearly they see the money spent on DRM to be an investment to increase profits. Just like paying a customer service person has the intent of hopefully getting more money out of happy customers. Eliminating that expense would not necessarily result in more profit.

That being said, analysts have been wrong, and business models have been changed as research results change, and people do take chances and try new things sometimes.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:51 PM   #177
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Are you sure about that? I thought it might come out of the reseller's cut.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:53 PM   #178
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Are you sure about that? I thought it might come out of the reseller's cut.
I thought that it was paid by the publisher, but I'm very happy to be corrected if I'm wrong.
Old 03-28-2013, 01:05 PM   #179
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
I thought that it was paid by the publisher, but I'm very happy to be corrected if I'm wrong.
To the best of my knowledge, the retailer pays the $0.22. Of course, if the publisher acts as their own retailer, they'll be the ones paying the fee.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 01:05 PM   #180
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Thanks for the correction!