Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-10-2012, 11:07 PM   #76
Dahak
Zealot
Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony PRS-505(LC) & Rocket eBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by silasgreenback View Post
Thank you so much for hosting these. I've so far been using the torrents from the site linked on your page to hopefully save you some bandwidth and if any of those torrents should fail, I've got a text file of all the iso links on your page to be adjusted accordingly for one run of wget.
I appreciate the gesture, but I don't really worry about bandwidth, per se.

It's just that in the past, I've noticed that the site throws out watchdog timeouts when the traffic peaks above about 75GB/day. (Surprisingly, I haven't seen any timeout alerts this week.) It's been serving over 100GB/day for just over a week, now, and averaging somewhere north of 250GB for the period. (I've been updating the linked image each day, too.)

Last edited by Dahak; 12-10-2012 at 11:10 PM.
Dahak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:41 AM   #77
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It was the assumption that "it's not going to last forever" that's been the main driver for me buying every Baen Webscriptions bundle as it's been released.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:00 AM   #78
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It was the assumption that "it's not going to last forever" that's been the main driver for me buying every Baen Webscriptions bundle as it's been released.
Good things never last but in this case it is the sudden end that is unexpected. What I expected was a steady stream of small changes (higher prices, maybe DRM) not a literal overnight switch. They did stay at $6 per book for a long time, though...

As is, a 3 month window is a reasonable compromise that stays within the spirit of the original webscription concept.

And its hard to argue when they are raising their ebook royalties along with the prices. Even if total sales do go down the authors should be seeing a boost in income and since we're not talking King or Roberts, that is a good thing.

Times change...
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:07 AM   #79
JoeD
Guru
JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: na
In a way, it may improve the webscription model. You get a bundle for a good discount for a short period of time. More reasons to hit the trigger on bundles you like the look of and since you've now bought it rather than put it off for another month, chances are you'll read it soon and find some new authors.

I'm glad they've worked out a way to keep the free library going with 1st/2nd editions. The free library is for me a great way to try new authors without any cost/risk. Reading a 1st edition or in reality the full story but with some extra bonus content missing, suits that need and in fact, if i really enjoy a book it may even give me an incentive to purchase a copy which I wouldn't otherwise have done (I'd usually only buy the follow on books since I've got the first for free).

Only thing I'm not happy about it the price hike. I won't be buying any baen books until they reach mass paper back levels and generally after waiting that long for a book and losing the hype that comes with new releases I'll probably just wait longer for sales of those books or other amazon books and get some bargains instead.
JoeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:30 AM   #80
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
Price rise was due regardless, I'd imagine, given how long prices have been the same.
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:34 AM   #81
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeD View Post
Only thing I'm not happy about it the price hike. I won't be buying any baen books until they reach mass paper back levels and generally after waiting that long for a book and losing the hype that comes with new releases I'll probably just wait longer for sales of those books or other amazon books and get some bargains instead.
We don't know, though (do we?) what the price will be for the Webscription bundles. I imagine they'll stay lower. Let's wait and see.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:58 AM   #82
JoeD
Guru
JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: na
Quote:
We don't know, though (do we?) what the price will be for the Webscription bundles. I imagine they'll stay lower. Let's wait and see.
I hope so
JoeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 03:48 PM   #83
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Fire 2, NOOK ST, Kindle HDX, Fire 7"
Quote:
Toni Weisskopf, High Lady of Baen, hath said (10 December 2012 20:14 UT)

You should know that we will still be able to sell exclusively at Baen.com eARCs and discounted, serialized monthly bundles at our previous prices. {...} once the book is printed and the books made available individually at other sellers, these editions will not be available for orders.

So $US15.00 for aARCs and $US18.00 for Monthly Baen Bundles until further notice but only if bought before print publication.
Little.Egret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:19 PM   #84
hwlester
Wizard
hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T1, Kindle Touch, misc. Android devices, Nook HD+
Will purchased books and bundles remain available for download at Baen's site?

Last edited by hwlester; 12-14-2012 at 05:32 PM.
hwlester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:38 PM   #85
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hwlester View Post
Will purchased books and bundles remain available for download at [Baen]'s site?
Yes, for the foreseeable future.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:48 AM   #86
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
I just saw you can get the Kindle version of David Weber's A Rising Thunder from Amazon now. Hardback is $15.54, Kindle version is $9.99.

So I guess the transition has begun.
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:58 AM   #87
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Yes, for the foreseeable future.
They're still listed under "Monthly Bundles" but, interestingly, if you select an author's name from the list at the list side of the main page, for most authors now there are no books listed.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:07 AM   #88
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
They're still listed under "Monthly Bundles" but, interestingly, if you select an author's name from the list at the list side of the main page, for most authors now there are no books listed.
If I select "My Books" and then an author's name, I see all the books by that author that I've bought.

The Monthly bundles show up, but as "Not Currently Available", except for February and March 2013.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:13 AM   #89
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
If I select "My Books" and then an author's name, I see all the books by that author that I've bought.
Yes, that works. You don't see any books if you go straight to an author rather than via "My Books".
Old 12-20-2012, 09:26 AM   #90
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
They've started listing Second Editions, three of them, at $6.99.
The corresponding First Editions are in the Free Library.
I can see the Second Edition play serving to relaunch some of their older titles even if the first editions don't go to the Free Library.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote