Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 07-27-2010, 09:18 PM   #16
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
You are definitely right to hold off in your situation. Maggie. Best to wait a few months and see how things develop, how actual US users feel. And lot of new phones will be coming out in the next few months.

I am not really discouraged by the user comments because most of them are in frustration over the delay of the US launch, no Android 2.2 yet, etc. Most actual users have been extremely positive, and those were the ones who liked the Streak for what is important to me -- the screen.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 09:38 PM   #17
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Yes, lots of griping about the delays, no 2.2 and no T-Mobile, which seemed like a delusional expectation anyway, lol. Dell seems to have pissed off a number of eager U.S. fans, which makes me wanna wait to see sales results. The screen size is the big draw for me, but I'm not sure how popular it will be. If it doesn't sell enough, less likely Dell will continue to support it. Sucks that there's no real alternative for that size screen.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 04:13 PM   #18
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/10/d...ntract-550-wi/

August 13th..that's Friday!
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 09:46 PM   #19
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
550 sounds like a good price for such a versatile high-end phone --- but apparently it is still locked!! That would be a deal breaker for me.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 12:27 AM   #20
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
550 sounds like a good price for such a versatile high-end phone --- but apparently it is still locked!! That would be a deal breaker for me.
Why would someone pay $550 if it's locked? Just to use it without the phone function? Otherwise, why not get the subsidized one?

I guess I'll skip it. I want a phone I can use overseas, too, with local SIM cards. I'm going abroad for months. I guess I'll buy an unlocked non-Dell when I land.
Old 09-19-2010, 09:13 AM   #21
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Dell Streak

Got mine a few days ago, if someone's interested in some details...
In brief: Nothing special, neither Android (which I only knew from nook and Alex) nor the Streak itself. I suddenly realize the simplicity/genius of Apple's IOS...
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 10:09 AM   #22
Maggie Leung
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
Got mine a few days ago, if someone's interested in some details...
In brief: Nothing special, neither Android (which I only knew from nook and Alex) nor the Streak itself. I suddenly realize the simplicity/genius of Apple's IOS...
Cool. I want as much detail as you're willing to share. I'm not able to buy one where I am now (unless gray marketed), but I'd seriously consider one on return to the U.S.

I'm interested specifically in Streak vs. iPhone / iPad. I bought an unlocked iPhone 4, so I could use it overseas by just changing SIM cards, but I figured I could easily sell it on return to the U.S. if I chose, because all U.S. ones are sold locked.
Old 09-19-2010, 11:28 AM   #23
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie Leung View Post
Cool. I want as much detail as you're willing to share. I'm not able to buy one where I am now (unless gray marketed), but I'd seriously consider one on return to the U.S.

I'm interested specifically in Streak vs. iPhone / iPad. I bought an unlocked iPhone 4, so I could use it overseas by just changing SIM cards, but I figured I could easily sell it on return to the U.S. if I chose, because all U.S. ones are sold locked.
I can compare to iPhone4 and iPad.

Design/form factor: Streak doesn't look or feel cheap. But it can't measure up to iPhone4 or iPad. The bigger display has some advantages over iPhone4 and it still fits in your pocket/purse. I've got Android 1.6 (O2 in UK did roll out 2.1 already, but I didn't bother yet), which might be an explanation for the sometimes sluggish UI.

Apps: Android may be a rising star. But in any instance I find it way harder to get apps. Be it navigation software, hotel booking, reader apps or games. I'm already not too fond of the quality of many iPhone apps (very often it's pretty obvious it's from a "one man show"), but Android sometimes even is behind that quality level.
I found a phantastic feature though: Uninstall and refund. Bought a navigation app for $ 99 (!!), which didn't work. Got my refund instantly.

Display quality: iPhone4's retina display is more impressive. But Streak is absolutely okay, no complaints.

Build quality: Even though I'm an Apple sceptic (I hate my Mac mini and my iMac isn't that impressive either), I have to say: They know how to build their gadgets. In direct comparison to iPhone4, Streak seems to be 2 quality levels below. There's no actual fault with it. But its housing is plastic and everything just feels and looks a bit cheaper and less "stylish".

Reader experience: For whatever reason, I can't get the nook app. So I'm just using the Kindle app and Aldiko for now. Experience is what you'd expect: The bigger screen tops iPhone4, although I'm fine with the amount of information on iPhone4's display.

Camera: I haven't done any "benchmarks". I've been surprised by the picture quality of iPhone4. Streak even seems to top that a bit. Focus on Streak is quite impressive. Didn't test the geotagging on Streak yet, which is great on iPhone4 (love the combination with faces and places in iPhoto).

Conclusion:
Maybe the 7" or 9" models of Streak make more sense. But for the 5" I have to say, it's "neither fish nor meat" (as we say in Germany). No way it can compete with iPad of course. It's mobile enough to compete with iPhone4. But given the higher resolution of iPhone4 and (slightly) better retina display, I don't see any significant advantage over iPhone4.
The open Android platform theoretically would be of advantage. But so far, I've found way more iTunes apps than Android apps for my needs.
I'm eagerly waiting for the Android 2.2 update and even thought about flashing the UK O2 update to 2.1. But with the existing Android 1.6, iPhone4 beats Dell streak. Not by miles, but not by millimeters either...

Last edited by mgmueller; 09-19-2010 at 11:32 AM.
Old 09-20-2010, 02:43 AM   #24
Maggie Leung
Wizard

Thanks for the info, mgmueller. That's all helpful to know.

I'll pass if that's the case. The combo of iPhone 4 and iPad works fine for me now, and it sounds like I'd be trading my annoyances with the iCombo for another set of annoyances with a Streak. I guess I'll stick with what I have and wait till something significantly better comes along.

I'm rooting for lots of advances in Android gear, firmware and apps. I just want stuff that works without muss, and I'd like to have more to choose from than Apple.

Last edited by Maggie Leung; 09-20-2010 at 02:46 AM.
Old 09-20-2010, 05:59 AM   #25
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie Leung View Post
Thanks for the info, mgmueller. That's all helpful to know.

I'll pass if that's the case. The combo of iPhone 4 and iPad works fine for me now, and it sounds like I'd be trading my annoyances with the iCombo for another set of annoyances with a Streak. I guess I'll stick with what I have and wait till something significantly better comes along.

I'm rooting for lots of advances in Android gear, firmware and apps. I just want stuff that works without muss, and I'd like to have more to choose from than Apple.
I agree. I'm checking out the alternatives to Apple as well.
I guess, Streak might be an alternative for my business phone. But not (yet) for my gadgets...
Old 09-20-2010, 11:34 AM   #26
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
A 5" phone is too big. A WiFi version should be marketed for around $300.
tubemonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 11:34 AM   #27
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
A 5" phone is too big. A WiFi version should be marketed for around $300.
I don't think, a WiFi only version would make much sense.
Streak obviously is targeting the "mobility" market.
On the road, 3G totally makes sense.
To me, WiFi only would have been a showstopper.

And I don't think, they could get close to the $ 300 mark.
Of course, as a phone with respective contract this probably wouldn't be a problem.
But as an unlocked, standalone unit, it probably has way too many features for such price point.
If I consider it a "smaller iPad", € 600 may be a bit overpriced. But $ 300 would be way too low. And of course, iPad/Apple does have additional revenue stream via apps, movies, TV shows, ... whereas Streak links to the Android repository...
What's the price for an unlocked iPhone4? I've heard, it's $ 900? If so, the € 600 of Streak are no problem at all.
Personally, I don't mind the price (actually, I'd happily pay a premium for quality products instead of permanently seeing cheaper products with no use for me because of the low quality). But I don't see the niche for Streak yet. And I even don't see any smartphone being able to compete with Apple's winning combination with iTunes. Apple easily could reduce prices for their units, given the billions of additional revenues. Android of course does have a similar concept. For Google it definitely is a rapidly growing business. But it's not of much use (revenue) for the hardware manufacturers like Dell.

BTW: Does Dell get a revenue share from Google for any apps, purchased in the Android store? I guess not, I'm not sure whether the Android store actually even tracks the manufacturer or just the Android version...

Last edited by mgmueller; 09-21-2010 at 11:36 AM.
Old 09-21-2010, 12:47 PM   #28
petermillard
Evangelist
petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, K3 & Amazon - between them they cover my needs.
Quote:
What's the price for an unlocked iPhone4? I've heard, it's $ 900? If so, the € 600 of Streak are no problem at all.
Unlocked iPhone4 from Apple is £499 ($775) here in the UK, whereas 'no contract' (but still locked to O2 ) Dell Streak is £399 ($620).

I don't see a niche for the Streak either - and perhaps nobody else does, hence the less than stellar sales (UK sales quoted as "modest and immaterial" - here). Is it a phone or a tablet? TabletPhone? PhonePad? <shrug>

Pete
petermillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 05:31 PM   #29
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I don't think, a WiFi only version would make much sense.
Why not? Apple does it and they call their 3.5" WiFi 32GB tablet the iPod touch.

Quote:
And I don't think, they could get close to the $ 300 mark.
Again, why not? Apple does it and they sell their 3.5" WiFi 32GB tablet for $300.

Remember, the 32GB iPhone 4 costs Apple about $215 to manufacture. The iPod touch is even less, since it has cheaper and fewer features.

So if Apple can do it, then so can the rest.

Last edited by tubemonkey; 09-21-2010 at 05:39 PM.
Old 09-21-2010, 06:36 PM   #30
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

There's a lucrative market for pocket-sized WiFi tablets pretty much being ignored by Android. Since its introduction 3 years ago, the iPod touch is approaching 50 million devices sold and who knows how many apps.

Doesn't Android want a share of that market?