Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 03-03-2010, 08:01 PM   #1
zetareticuli
Addict
zetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litter

Device: Aztak Mentor
Entourage eDGe - Great Reader for Scientists

Guys, here are some pictures of the Entourage eDGe displaying the Kepler Extrasolar Planet Finder Instrument Handbook. This is the perfect example of a technical PDF. The same type of PDF that engineers and scientists read. The eDGe does a wonderful job displaying technical PDFs. It really looks no different than reading it on computer using a PDF reader such as Adobe Reader.

The overexposure in the pictures is the result of the light sources around. It actually looks excellent and very sharp.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02879.JPG
Views:	994
Size:	1.46 MB
ID:	47084   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02882.jpg
Views:	884
Size:	249.5 KB
ID:	47085   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02883.jpg
Views:	807
Size:	221.7 KB
ID:	47086   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02885.jpg
Views:	726
Size:	228.7 KB
ID:	47087   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02886.jpg
Views:	693
Size:	232.8 KB
ID:	47088   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02887.JPG
Views:	759
Size:	1.42 MB
ID:	47089   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02888.jpg
Views:	669
Size:	224.5 KB
ID:	47090   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02889.JPG
Views:	631
Size:	1.45 MB
ID:	47091   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02890.jpg
Views:	657
Size:	238.6 KB
ID:	47092   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02891.JPG
Views:	636
Size:	1.50 MB
ID:	47093   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02892.jpg
Views:	640
Size:	252.6 KB
ID:	47094  
zetareticuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 12:10 AM   #2
ckole
Enthusiast
ckole began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
What size was the PDF doc formatted for? 8.5 x 11? If it is that format this is super promising. I have lots of company manuals which I want on a device. My Nook just doesn't work well.

Also can you tell me the physical measurements of the eink screen. Width and Height.

Thanks!
ckole is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2010, 08:49 AM   #3
zetareticuli
Addict
zetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litter

Yes, 8.5 by 11 is the format for this. As far as the exact physical measurements of the eInk screen, I don't have those right now for the eDGe. I will take measurements later today and post them here.
Old 03-04-2010, 03:58 PM   #4
osama_jamal
"eBook Addict!"
osama_jamal began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
Super clear images!!
Way to go eDGe. I think this product is the most advanced eReader available at the moment.
osama_jamal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 04:19 PM   #5
zetareticuli
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by osama_jamal View Post
Super clear images!!
Way to go eDGe. I think this product is the most advanced eReader available at the moment.
Agreed.
Advert
Old 03-04-2010, 04:51 PM   #6
davidspitzer
So Many Words to Read!
davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kindle
it seems the same as my kindle DX in quality (same screen tech of course for the eink side). Si I m unsure as to why the edge claims the title as best ereade for scientist. I am a little dubious of the form factor and power consumption based on the second screen
davidspitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 04:55 PM   #7
davidspitzer
So Many Words to Read!
davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

I checked it is the exact same size and resolution as the Kindle DX screen. I think this is an interesting device as I have never met a gadget i did not like, but it seems sorta frakenstein to me.
Old 03-04-2010, 05:36 PM   #8
zetareticuli
Addict

PDFs look better on the eDGe than the Kindle DX. I have performed side by side comparison with several PDFs and the eDGe wins hands down. The hardware is comparable but the eDGe software for the eInk is better. I think that explains the difference. In addition to this, PDF Table of Contents works and zooming is excellent. Of course, Amazon could release software updates to the Kindle DX that offer similar functionality as far as displaying PDF is concerned.

Now, the eDGe's biggest issues are portability and battery life. At over 3 lbs, the eDGe weighs more than many 10.1" netbooks. Also, the eDGe has sides (the eInk and the LCD), this makes handling it more difficult than the Kindle DX. In addition to this, the battery life of the eDGe is shorter than the Kindle DX by at least a few hundred page turns. Also, Kindle DX gives you access to the rich selection of the Amazon Kindle store. Other than these items, the eDGe is light years ahead and there is no comparison as far as features and functionality.

If Amazon would fix some of the issues with the Kindle DX (better PDF support, folder structure, etc), it would make the Kindle DX a much more attractive device.
Old 03-04-2010, 05:43 PM   #9
davidspitzer
So Many Words to Read!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetareticuli View Post
PDFs look better on the eDGe than the Kindle DX. I have performed side by side comparison with several PDFs and the eDGe wins hands down. The hardware is comparable but the eDGe software for the eInk is better. I think that explains the difference. In addition to this, PDF Table of Contents works and zooming is excellent. Of course, Amazon could release software updates to the Kindle DX that offer similar functionality as far as displaying PDF is concerned.

Now, the eDGe's biggest issues are portability and battery life. At over 3 lbs, the eDGe weighs more than many 10.1" netbooks. Also, the eDGe has sides (the eInk and the LCD), this makes handling it more difficult than the Kindle DX. In addition to this, the battery life of the eDGe is shorter than the Kindle DX by at least a few hundred page turns. Also, Kindle DX gives you access to the rich selection of the Amazon Kindle store. Other than these items, the eDGe is light years ahead and there is no comparison as far as features and functionality.

If Amazon would fix some of the issues with the Kindle DX (better PDF support, folder structure, etc), it would make the Kindle DX a much more attractive device.
I would love to see the kindle and the edge side by side with a technical pdf
Old 03-04-2010, 05:45 PM   #10
davidspitzer
So Many Words to Read!

Quote:
Guys, here are some pictures of the Entourage eDGe displaying the Kepler Extrasolar Planet Finder Instrument Handbook. This is the perfect example of a technical PDF. The same type of PDF that engineers and scientists read. The eDGe does a wonderful job displaying technical PDFs. It really looks no different than reading it on computer using a PDF reader such as Adobe Reader.

The overexposure in the pictures is the result of the light sources around. It actually looks excellent and very sharp.
can you post the pdf so i can try it on my kindle for comparisons
Old 03-04-2010, 05:52 PM   #11
zetareticuli
Addict

http://archive.stsci.edu/kepler/manu...-19033-001.pdf
Old 03-04-2010, 06:25 PM   #12
davidspitzer
So Many Words to Read!

Quote:

attached is a kindle dx image (from me cell phone) i am not sure but it looks the same as the edge (its dark and cruddy because my phone camera is weak)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2010-03-04 16.20.03.jpg
Views:	597
Size:	716.8 KB
ID:	47169  
Old 03-04-2010, 06:33 PM   #13
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckole View Post
Also can you tell me the physical measurements of the eink screen. Width and Height
Same Vizplex screen as the Kindle DX:

(140 × 203mm) 9.7" 825 × 1200 pixels, 150 ppi
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 06:52 PM   #14
zetareticuli
Addict

For some reason, I see the eDGe's sharper. Could be my eyes, though. My main issue is that I am stuck with whatever I see on the DX. With the eDGe, I can zoom in. I really would love to use the DX but the poor PDF support is a big issue for me. 99% of the documents I read are in PDF.

Last edited by zetareticuli; 03-04-2010 at 07:00 PM.
Old 03-04-2010, 07:04 PM   #15
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidspitzer View Post
..it seems sorta frakenstein to me.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote