Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 11-25-2009, 11:30 PM   #16
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kralik View Post
NewEgg has the Libre for $137 -- sounds like a great deal.

EDIT: Looks like you'd get:

* eBook Reader PRO
* USB Cable
* Power Charger
* Hand Strap
* Earphones
* Carrying Pouch
* Quick Start Guide
* Warranty & Registration Card

I wonder what the firmware is like. Nate?
Kralik, I don't think that's right. With the wall charger the price is $146.99, and I don't think that it comes with a pouch or cover.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 10:09 AM   #17
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted NST
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
Kralik, I don't think that's right. With the wall charger the price is $146.99, and I don't think that it comes with a pouch or cover.
The wall charger is a generic NewEgg combo deal - unrelated to the product. The above list is from Aluratek as "What comes in the box." Straight from their website.
Kralik is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2009, 03:42 PM   #18
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for that link, Kralik! Funny that NewEgg doesn't list the complete contents of the box.

By the way, there are a number of books that come with the device that I would like to read. It almost pays for itself right there!
Old 11-26-2009, 09:35 PM   #19
Siwickimom
Bookin' it!
Siwickimom began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505- Sangria :) and Black Aluratek Libre
Can you put the Ectaco firmware on the Libre? I don't see any mention anywhere of the built in dictionaries like the jetbook has.... Want to get one for my 11 year old, and I think that the $20 difference between the Libre and the White Jetbook might be worth it for him. Any way to get the dictionary onto the Libre?
Siwickimom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 10:31 PM   #20
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siwickimom View Post
Can you put the Ectaco firmware on the Libre? I don't see any mention anywhere of the built in dictionaries like the jetbook has.... Want to get one for my 11 year old, and I think that the $20 difference between the Libre and the White Jetbook might be worth it for him. Any way to get the dictionary onto the Libre?
Yes. That's what I did with my Libre.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2009, 10:31 PM   #21
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Nate just mentioned that it's the same device and it can be done, so you might want to PM him. I'm curious about flashing the other way around to see if the Libre firmware is better.
Old 11-26-2009, 10:32 PM   #22
Kralik
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Yes. That's what I did with my Libre.
Nice timing. Posted while I was typing my reply.
Old 11-26-2009, 11:16 PM   #23
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!

Tonight I have emailed NewEgg to verify if what they are offering for $137 is the same as what Aluratek lists as its package on its website.

$137 without a pouch, wall charger and SD card with 100 books might not be such a great deal.
Old 11-27-2009, 01:01 AM   #24
Siwickimom
Bookin' it!

Quote:
Tonight I have emailed NewEgg to verify if what they are offering for $137 is the same as what Aluratek lists as its package on its website.

$137 without a pouch, wall charger and SD card with 100 books might not be such a great deal.

Considering the prices on the Sonys right now and it's impossible to find a 505 or Nook, I think this is a pretty great deal. I don't expect to find another reader with the same build quality and scope of file support this low before Christmas. I just ordered one for my son, here's hoping I can replicate Nate's feat and get a dictionary on there for him, but if not, I still feel pretty good about it. My other option was the Ebookwise 1150, and the price of smart cards really was making me feel like it wasn't worth it in the end.
Old 11-27-2009, 01:59 AM   #25
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!

I decided to also ask Aluratek what online retailers sell the Libre Pro package complete as described on their webpage.
Old 11-27-2009, 08:59 AM   #26
Kralik
Guru

Why the skepticism?
Old 11-27-2009, 02:49 PM   #27
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kralik View Post
Why the skepticism?
Kralik, believe me, I hope that you're right!

But I think its unlikely that NewEgg would fail to include in its list of accessories such important items.
Old 11-27-2009, 03:28 PM   #28
SciFiGal777
SciFiGal777 is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Formerly had Jetbook Lite
I emailed them earlier about if any accessories came with the Libre.

This is what they said:

We apologize for any inconvenience that may have been caused. The production description usually states the content of the package. However, if it is not listed, you may check the pictures on the product description page which will show you everything that will be included with the item when purchased. If you would like to verify the item’s contents further, you can go to the “Manufacturer Info” tab towards the bottom of the product description page and click on the “Manufacturer Product Page” link. This link will take you directly to the item on the manufacturer’s website. You can then compare the information on our website to the manufacturer’s website. Thanks in advance for your kindly understanding and patience.
SciFiGal777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 03:36 PM   #29
Siwickimom
Bookin' it!

Quote:
Kralik, believe me, I hope that you're right!

But I think its unlikely that NewEgg would fail to include in its list of accessories such important items.

I dunno. I just bought a handheld camcorder from Newegg and was pleasantly surprised to find out it came with an AV Cable AND an extra battery. And neither were listed on the item description.

I just hope that after you get all your questions answered that it's still on sale

I think that the price of $137 for the technology absent all the accessories is still worth the price, imo. This was a great compromise as a gift for my son. I didn't want to spend as much as a Sony and I wanted something less restricted than the EB1150. So, I'm thrilled.

Parenthetically, I also picked up 2 8GB microSDHC cards for the R4 units for my kid's Nintendo DS games, Newegg has the best price on those I've seen this week as well.

Now I am moving on to getting books and converting them if necessary, etc. so I can give it to him loaded up.
Old 11-27-2009, 05:14 PM   #30
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!

I've just gone to the NewEgg site, and the black is sold out already!