Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

View Poll Results: which one is better?
cybook 20 58.82%
bebook 14 41.18%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-17-2008, 02:38 AM   #16
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by daviddem View Post
With the plethora of DRM killer and conversion tools available, format support is not critical: you can kill the DRM and convert from one to another quite easily (a bit of a learning curve and confusing at first, but OK if you have basic computer education).
I must respectfully disagree.

Firstly, for many of us, removing DRM is illegal.

Secondly, although the BeBook supports a lot of different formats, it doesn't support any of them as well as the Gen3 supports MobiPocket. For me personally, having one format supported well is more important than having numerous formats whose display is "mediocre".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 02:45 AM   #17
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I must respectfully disagree.

Secondly, although the BeBook supports a lot of different formats, it doesn't support any of them as well as the Gen3 supports MobiPocket. For me personally, having one format supported well is more important than having numerous formats whose display is "mediocre".
Agree with you there, not on the DRM-part, but on the "do one thing good, instead of many half-assed" part.

Granted, BeBook is trying to rectify the worst parts of their format support by releasing new firmware on a regular basis, but they still have a LONG way to go before their mobisupport is as good as the Cybooks. And at the moment, the best format for me on the BeBook is either fb or rtf actually. Those 2 works just fine, mobi and lit which i would have pprefered are more or less useless in the current implementation, and since they use the Java version of Mobireader (as I understand it) it will most likely never support the things I want it too support. It's even gotten to the part where I'm contemplating getting a Cybook as well. Just for it's mobi-support
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2008, 10:20 AM   #18
daviddem
Connoisseur
daviddem doesn't litterdaviddem doesn't litterdaviddem doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
It may be technically illegal. In practice, it is an annoyance that prevents you to buy the book you want at the best price because it is in a format that your reader does not support and DRM prevents the conversion. Besides, I personally feel that DRM is an insult to my fundamental rights and that DRM, not deDRM, should be illegal.

My point was: should you choose to become a criminal and deDRM your books (like many of us do), then the number of supported formats should not be a major factor when choosing a reader.

Last edited by daviddem; 12-17-2008 at 10:24 AM.
daviddem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 11:35 AM   #19
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by daviddem View Post
Besides, I personally feel that DRM is an insult to my fundamental rights and that DRM, not deDRM, should be illegal.
I'm not sure that I'd put "the right to remove copy-protection measures" in my "top 10" list of "fundamental rights", but, well, each to their own .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 02:09 PM   #20
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
reading with my cybook is easy and pleasurable. it's very light, the cover makes it possible to hold the same way as holding a paperback book and since i now own hundreds of drm'ed mobi books, i want the best reading experience i can have for mobi. that means cybook.
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2008, 02:28 PM   #21
daviddem
Connoisseur
daviddem doesn't litterdaviddem doesn't litterdaviddem doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
I'm not sure that I'd put "the right to remove copy-protection measures" in my "top 10" list of "fundamental rights", but, well, each to their own .
Well, er... yeah, maybe I got a little carried over. I should have said fundamental rights as a customer... but still, DRM is outrageous!

Sorry for the hijack.
daviddem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 04:55 PM   #22
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
check this topic:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31329

As you can see identical topic was already present.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote