Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-29-2008, 11:03 AM   #1
ec1matt
Enthusiast
ec1matt has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ec1matt has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ec1matt has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ec1matt has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2019, Paperwhite 2013, Sony PRS-505(RIP)
Finally took the plunge

Took a trip this morning to Waterstone's on Piccadilly and treated myself to a shiny new PRS-505. Got it home and all set up and used the points I earned on my Waterstones loyalty card to get a couple of ebooks.

I've just finished reading The Seven Words You Can't Say On Television by Stephen Pinker, and although the ebook appeared to have a few minor formatting issues (which are nothing to do with the device) I'm completely sold on this gadget - the screen is absolutely superb and after a few pages I completely forgot I was using the Reader and just concentrated on the book, which of course is the whole point.

I suspect this device will be a constant companion, both for reading at home and on my journey to and from work.
ec1matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 11:12 AM   #2
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Congratulations on your new purchase.

I feel as if I know exactly how you feel about ebook reading. They're incredible, aren't they - the books they can hold, this whole idea of having hundreds of titles at your fingertips and to read (almost) whatever is available at any one instant.

For me, I read more than one book at a time, and having an ebook reader is now an essential part of my reading life.

Have fun with your new device.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2008, 11:13 AM   #3
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
If you have to travel on the tube in rush hour, it's brilliant - far easier to read one handed whilst tstanding up than a pbook

And you don't need to worry about the bookmark falling out when you hastily shove it in your bag because you've just got to your station without realising...
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 07:08 PM   #4
ChipnDale
Rescue Rangers
ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad
Congrats! Your back will forever thank you, when i was reading The pillars of the earth my back would be in agony because i'd take the book everywhre i went...viva elec. readers.
ChipnDale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 10:12 PM   #5
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
I got a 505 back in January and feel about it the way you do yours. In fact, the four hours I had to wait for it to charge up was like four days. I couldn't wait to start reading
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2008, 10:45 PM   #6
tech_au
Oz Bookworm
tech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS 505,PRS 650
Congrats on your new reader. After 6 months I can't do without mine now.
It might interest you to know that WHSmiths ebook store is heaps better than Waterstones.
The search engine on WHSmith is a welcome relief after the hopeless one on Waterstone not to mention the prices are better at WHSmith.
tech_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 04:42 AM   #7
ec1matt
Enthusiast
ec1matt has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ec1matt has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ec1matt has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ec1matt has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Thanks for the congrats everyone. Did some more reading last night and this morning and I still can't get over how book-like the whole experience is and how much neater my bedside table is with only one slim device on it rather than a tottering pile of paperbacks.

The only slight downside is that I find myself increasing the font size to Medium - the need for reading glasses can't be too far away
Old 11-30-2008, 10:13 AM   #8
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Welcome to the ranks of owners. So many pleasures await you.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 02:50 PM   #9
ec1matt
Enthusiast

Used my new Reader for the first time in the wild today on my way home from work. It certainly made waiting for the tube and the journey hoitself go quicker. And I felt terribly high-tech reading off a screen. No admiring glances yet, but I'm sure that's only a matter of time
Old 12-01-2008, 02:55 PM   #10
aliencane
Enthusiast
aliencane is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony 505, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by ec1matt View Post
Thanks for the congrats everyone. Did some more reading last night and this morning and I still can't get over how book-like the whole experience is and how much neater my bedside table is with only one slim device on it rather than a tottering pile of paperbacks.
Ha! I still have both. It seems as though I must have at least 6 books going at all times (as long as they aren't too similar, I'm OK)

Quote:
The only slight downside is that I find myself increasing the font size to Medium - the need for reading glasses can't be too far away
Try doing that with your pbooks.
aliencane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 04:03 PM   #11
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ec1matt View Post

Don't sweat the reading glasses. Just tell people what I do. I tell them I have Eagle Eyes, it's these damn penguin arms that don't let me hold the book far enough away!
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 04:38 PM   #12
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidym View Post
Don't sweat the reading glasses. Just tell people what I do. I tell them I have Eagle Eyes, it's these damn penguin arms that don't let me hold the book far enough away!
Was that an avatar dig?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 04:42 PM   #13
BookishDreamer
Cultural Artist
BookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony 505, Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidym View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Was that an avatar dig?

BOb

Dreamer
BookishDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 09:43 AM   #14
Mick4545
Enthusiast
Mick4545 will become famous soon enoughMick4545 will become famous soon enoughMick4545 will become famous soon enoughMick4545 will become famous soon enoughMick4545 will become famous soon enoughMick4545 will become famous soon enough

Device: Oasis 2
Mine is sitting under the tree at the monent. I don't know if I can wait until the 25th.

Mick
Mick4545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 01:22 PM   #15
Harry001
Addict
Harry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enough

Device: palmone lifedrive+sonyreader 505+NookColor+HPTouchpad \32GB+NookSimple
my 505 is under the tree, too - but i tested it and have allmost 90 books on it.
and it's charged - so i can start at christmas morning ;-)
take care
harry
Harry001 is offline   Reply With Quote