Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-28-2008, 01:23 PM   #46
GatorDeb
Evangelist
GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: PW2 + HDX 8.9
Install Windows 4.9:
http://www.mobipocket.com/soft/reade...etReaderPC.exe

Or, if you trust me, send me your Kindle's serial number to gvillepics@yahoo.com and I will do it for you and give you your Kindle's PID.
GatorDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 03:58 PM   #47
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Ah. Well, there's no "need" to install it at all no matter what reader you have.

BOb
This is true. It really isn't needed at all now that you mention it.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2008, 09:57 PM   #48
robb01
Connoisseur
robb01 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I was really edge about buying this, but i'm really glad i did.
robb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 10:51 PM   #49
Boston
Fanatic
Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Aura H20, Pixel XL
Getting the PID won't help her long term if she can't run the Kindlepid.py script as she'll eventually need to run kindlefix.py anyway.

Create a sub-folder under Python25. Make sure it has no spaces in the name. Use the folder to store the kindlepid.py and kindlefix.py scripts as well as any documents you are converting.

You should be able to run the scripts from this subfolder without adding the path to your system variables (step 3) as long as everything is under the Python25 folder.
Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 08:39 PM   #50
crutledge
eBook FANatic
crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP ipac RX5915 Wife's Kindle
Using folders on Kindel

Hello All,
I just got a Kindel for my wife and have downloaded some books via USB. Works fine. I also installed a 16 GB SDHC card and the Kindel reports 15 GB.

My question is: Can the library be segregated into folders for author or genre or even into sub-folders? A mass of books listed in a library seems a mess. Not fully understanding the system, I don't want to screw anything up.

Thanks,
Charlie
crutledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2008, 09:16 PM   #51
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by crutledge View Post
Hello All,
I just got a Kindel for my wife and have downloaded some books via USB. Works fine. I also installed a 16 GB SDHC card and the Kindel reports 15 GB.

My question is: Can the library be segregated into folders for author or genre or even into sub-folders? A mass of books listed in a library seems a mess. Not fully understanding the system, I don't want to screw anything up.

Thanks,
Charlie
Yes an no. Out of the box, no you can't do it. But, if you want to use mobi2mobi you can set up folders. See this thread..https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...=kindle+folder

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 04:37 PM   #52
lime
lime began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
lime

Great omfo from nate. however, I went ahead and purchased some books from mobile refernce .con. the books seem to be in a DRM format and I don't know how to get them to read on my Kindle. Any ideas??
lime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 04:57 PM   #53
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by lime View Post
I went ahead and purchased some books from mobile refernce .con.
Based on the web site, these seem to be MOBI ebooks. I'm not sure they have DRM. Did you try them "as is" on your Kindle?
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 08:17 PM   #54
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by lime View Post
Great omfo from nate. however, I went ahead and purchased some books from mobile refernce .con. the books seem to be in a DRM format and I don't know how to get them to read on my Kindle. Any ideas??
Did you place the books in the "documents" folder on your Kindle?
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 09:16 PM   #55
jams1fan
Kindled
jams1fan is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle, Treo 700p
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMomof2 View Post
My public library uses the OverDrive servers and I've successfully loaded books and opened them on my Kindle.
Tall Mom, You provided an excellent step-by-step to convert library ebooks from .prc to .azw. I was successful in the conversion. I cannot, however, open the file in my Kindle. I get an error message referring me to customer support. I think someone else commented they'd received the same error, but I don't know if any resolution was found. I have 2 PIDs registered with the library (one for the Kindle and one for my laptop). Is that causing a problem, you think? Thanks! By the way, my library uses overdrive as well..
jams1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 11:15 AM   #56
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
All I can think of is to check and be sure you have the correct PID for your Kindle and that it was entered correctly. Since that post I've simply started stripping the DRM and deleting the book after the time limit (3 weeks).
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 06:47 PM   #57
jams1fan
Kindled

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMomof2 View Post
All I can think of is to check and be sure you have the correct PID for your Kindle and that it was entered correctly. Since that post I've simply started stripping the DRM and deleting the book after the time limit (3 weeks).
So I guess it's possible for Igor's script to generate a .azw file with a wrong PID - I'm still trying to figure this process out!
Old 12-01-2008, 06:56 PM   #58
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jams1fan View Post
So I guess it's possible for Igor's script to generate a .azw file with a wrong PID - I'm still trying to figure this process out!
Are you sure of your PID? If you have multiple PIDs registered with a site, are you sure your book was downloaded with the Kindle PID?

Check out the Visual Kindle Guide for step by step instructions with pictures on how to find your Kindle PID and use KindleFIX (based on TallMomof2's instructions).
Old 12-02-2008, 12:22 AM   #59
jams1fan
Kindled

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Are you sure of your PID? If you have multiple PIDs registered with a site, are you sure your book was downloaded with the Kindle PID?

Check out the Visual Kindle Guide for step by step instructions with pictures on how to find your Kindle PID and use KindleFIX (based on TallMomof2's instructions).
Thank you, thank you! Problem resolved. I missed the instruction to input the serial number when running the kindlepid script. Interestingly, without the serial number, the script produced a Kindle-looking pid, albeit the wrong one.

Question: so the books I've downloaded will no longer work once they expire?

Thanks again - I've pored over this for hours. You get much karma from me!!
Old 12-02-2008, 12:40 AM   #60
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by jams1fan View Post
Thank you, thank you! Problem resolved. I missed the instruction to input the serial number when running the kindlepid script. Interestingly, without the serial number, the script produced a Kindle-looking pid, albeit the wrong one.

Question: so the books I've downloaded will no longer work once they expire?

Thanks again - I've pored over this for hours. You get much karma from me!!
Yay! I'm glad it worked for you. Your books will still expire but you can always check them out again.