Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 01-01-2012, 10:05 AM   #1
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
To Kill a Mockigbird. . .

Saw a great documentary last night on the Netflix streaming service called, "Hey Boo: Harper Lee and 'To Kill a Mockingbird' ". It was about Nelle Harper Lee, and "To Kill a Mockingbird". In a way, that book was a mixed blessing for her, it cost her her anonymity and her lifelong friendship with Truman Capote. Precisely the reason I have avoided success all my life.

But in the film, people mentioned the various scenes and paragraphs from that book that stayed with them for the rest of their lives. I was so young when I read that book and it offered so MANY life lessons. It wasn't 'just' about the racial issues of the American South in the 1930's.

One of the 'scenes' or series of scenes that have stuck with me is how Jem is forced to read to Mrs DuBose as a form of punishment for having destroyed her Camellia bushes in revenge for calling Atticus a "Nigger Lover".

It turns out that she was battling morphine addiction, and Jem's reading to her was to help her die addiction free. I remember how Scout described how Mrs DuBose's eyes would glaze over and spittle would trickle down the side of her mouth as Jem read to her while both children tried to hide their disgust and knew only of the punishment they were enduring. Shoot, even I as a child reader could only see the punishment they had to endure, at least until later.

It was there that I leaned that nobility, strength, and evil can reside within the same person. Well, I didn't learn it then, but it planted the seed.

None of the rich and famous they interviewed mentioned that. They all wanted to offer some profundity on the state of race relations in America. and I don't deny the importance of race in shaping our country. But the book was about more than race, or even injustice.

I don't know, maybe my memory is selective, and I'm blowing smoke out my back side. It's time to reread that book, I think.

Last edited by GlenBarrington; 01-01-2012 at 10:14 AM. Reason: editing for precision. . .
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote