Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-09-2010, 06:01 AM   #31
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adjust View Post
I guess it's to each their own, type of thing...I personally like to see the correct spelling of words in the region I choose. Commonwealth titles being formatted using the correct spelling, quote makes, metric measurements (kilometre instead of kilometer). the commonwealth (well, where I am anyway) is becoming to "Americanised" as it is. (no offense to Americans here). I see to many people in my country spelling words how America spells them. When I read a book, these little things really stand out.
They do, don't they ?! [is it not Americanized ? ]
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 04:38 PM   #32
alecE
Evangelist
alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs505, prs650, kobo Glo HD liseuses
This may be of assistance - it's not very elegant (in fact it's totally lacking in elegance), but it works, eventually, for me:
In your favoured text editor (mine is NoteTab Lite) perform the following steps (note that the $ character is being used here to denote a space):
- replace all instances of ^P^P^P with ^P^P (triple para to double para)
- replace all instances of ^P^P with ||
- replace all instances of ^P with $
- replace all instances of || with </p>^P^P<p>
- add a leading <p> at start of document and a </p> at the end

You should now have a text that is neatly broken into paragraphs with zero hard line endings. Then:

- replace <p>' with <p>&ldquo;
- replace '</p> with &rdquo;</p>
- replace .'$ with .&rdquo;$
- ditto for comma, colon, semi-colon, query and bang followed by '$
- replace $' (or $" depending on text) with $&lsquo;
- use the above process to identify the '$ (or "$) and replace with &rsquo;$
Previous two steps should clean most of the quoted phrases ('Marie Celeste' eg and plural possessives survivors' eg)
- replace .$' with $&ldquo;
- ditto for comma, colon, semi-colon, query and bang followed by $'
- should be fairly safe now to replace all remaining instances of ' with &rsquo;

This is not bullet-proof, but does clean up the text reasonably well. I generally reckon on 1 to 2 hours doing the above plus other odds and sods before moving the text into Sigil, where the html entities will be translated into 'proper' text.
alecE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 06:35 PM   #33
Adjust
Addict
Adjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel is

Device: ADE, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
They do, don't they ?! [is it not Americanized ? ]
Wow congratulations to you. for pointing out spelling mistakes from a post on a forum written from an iPhone....

Anyway back to the conversation:
My point still stands.

Last edited by Adjust; 10-10-2010 at 02:47 AM.
Adjust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 04:30 AM   #34
GeoffC
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Why does writing on an iPhone justify any mistakes

Okay, back on with the show ....
Old 10-10-2010, 04:46 AM   #35
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
Why does writing on an iPhone justify any mistakes
It's a very small keyboard, and it has rather an "over-enthusiastic" auto-correction facility (eg it will always change "its" to "it's").
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 05:47 AM   #36
GeoffC

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It's a very small keyboard, and it has rather an "over-enthusiastic" auto-correction facility (eg it will always change "its" to "it's").