Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-15-2011, 07:34 PM   #1
ericepe
ericepe began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
USB Host Mode (Master Mode) on K3

I found out about the mode-switching between ethernet and usb mass storage modes. Based on the hardware specs the USB Controller in the kindle seems to be quite capable of a few modes OTG, host, etc.. Also the internal 3G Modem seems to be connected via the mini-pci-e USB connection (IIRC what I found in the anydata specs)

I would be quite interested to be able and connect an USB Stick etc. to the kindle and copy files.
This needs a hardware adapter and an external +5V power supply for the USB Device, but this would be easy to build. Like this the kindle could be used for copying over files from another device (e.g. the N900 phone or some other smart phone which has some freshly downloaded ebooks!)

I think most other smartphones are not able to be a usb host so this would prob be useful for many of us.
(there has been a long discussion and lots of hacking on the N900, where USB Host mode is only theoretically possible with lots of kernel trickery.)

To make it work, a little config file and/or shellscript on the usb drive could tell the kindle which files/directory to copy over to the internal disk.
ericepe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 04:59 AM   #2
andrewed
typist
andrewed will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowandrewed will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowandrewed will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowandrewed will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowandrewed will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowandrewed will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowandrewed will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowandrewed will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowandrewed will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowandrewed will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowandrewed will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day now

Device: Kindle 3
xda-developers is the key

Boy, this would be great. The K3 is so incredibly hogtied without such simple connectivity.

Although there are some devs here, we are mostly users hoping, waiting, wishing for this or that. I got nowhere till I went to xda-developers.com

See my little story about enabling USB host on Nook Simple Touch.

Last edited by andrewed; 01-25-2012 at 01:00 PM.
andrewed is offline   Reply With Quote