Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-18-2010, 11:28 AM   #31
tulsa
Zealot
tulsa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tulsa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tulsa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tulsa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tulsa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2, Sony PRS 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by raac View Post
If I were you, I'd go the virtual machine route for Windows. In addition to running ADE, you can more easily use certain Windows-based Python scripts to "by-pass" the DRM. Following this, you'll be able to read everything on Ubuntu to your heart's content.
I have a virtual Windows Vista installed, but I've never been able to get the virtual environment to recognize the USB ports.

Yeah, I'm pretty well-versed on the whole getting rid of drm thing.

One of my motivations for getting the Sony 900 was the fact that it can read non-drm epub.

Quote:
When I bought my 900, I just logged into the Sony store on the device and it authorized it before I even hooked up to my computer.
Yeah, I did that last night through the wireless feature of the device. Have a sony and adobe account now. I haven't bought a book through them yet, but will be interesting to see if I can get the purchased book of the device and into calibre.
tulsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 11:30 AM   #32
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulsa View Post
I have a virtual Windows Vista installed, but I've never been able to get the virtual environment to recognize the USB ports.
What VM product are you using?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-18-2010, 11:42 AM   #33
tulsa
Zealot
tulsa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tulsa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tulsa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tulsa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tulsa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
What VM product are you using?

BOb
VirtualBox
http://www.virtualbox.org/
Old 03-18-2010, 11:43 AM   #34
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
If you are using the free version of it, I am pretty sure it doesn't support USB ports.

Try VMWare.

BOb
Old 03-18-2010, 11:54 AM   #35
tulsa
Zealot

Quote:
If you are using the free version of it, I am pretty sure it doesn't support USB ports.

Try VMWare.

BOb
Yeah, I've got the free version.
Guess it wouldn't hurt to try VMware. I've heard of it but never used it.
Advert
Old 03-19-2010, 06:36 AM   #36
tulsa
Zealot

Quote:

Try VMWare.

BOb

VMware workstation is $189!!!
no can do there....
Old 03-19-2010, 09:56 AM   #37
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
Not sure if it's that simple - as I understand it, there's some USB features that aren't in the "open source" edition, but most people will be using the "closed source" edition, which is free for personal use but does have USB support.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 10:09 AM   #38
tulsa
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynevans View Post
Not sure if it's that simple - as I understand it, there's some USB features that aren't in the "open source" edition, but most people will be using the "closed source" edition, which is free for personal use but does have USB support.
I'm using the virtualbox that comes through the Ubuntu synaptic.
I've never been able to use USB through it, even with the add-on "guest additions".
Old 03-19-2010, 10:51 AM   #39
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:

VMware workstation is $189!!!
no can do there....
Um... ok... but VMWare Player is all you need:

http://www.vmware.com/products/player/

its free for personal use.

BOb
Old 03-19-2010, 11:24 AM   #40
tulsa
Zealot

Quote:
Um... ok... but VMWare Player is all you need:

http://www.vmware.com/products/player/

its free for personal use.

BOb
ah, ok. lol..

I'll mess around with it this weekend. thanks for the info!
Old 03-19-2010, 07:40 PM   #41
tulsa
Zealot

Thumbs up

Quote:
ah, ok. lol..

I'll mess around with it this weekend. thanks for the info!
Didn't take as long as I thought it would. Wow, I must say I am very impressed with vmware. It's much, much faster than Virtualbox and is so much more easy to use. Setting up shared folders between the host and guest system was a breeze: something I could never get to work with VB.

The only thing about vmware I don't like is that I had to jump through hoops to download the thing, and had to provide my email address to get the download link. Other than that, two thumbs up!

I installed the Sony Reader software within the Vista OS. Have to say I'm not impressed with it. Think I'll stick with Calibre and purchase my books through the reader itself.

Tags
linux, prs-900bc, transfer, ubuntu