Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-12-2008, 11:33 AM   #1
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
OK ... I confess, I'm confused

I talked at some length with Amazon customer support about memory cards for the Kindle.

I was told, by more than one person, that a 4GB SD (not SDHC ... just SD) card was all they would recommend or support the use of.

So, what do I see today, prominently displayed on the Kindle Home Page?? An "access kit" that includes an 8GB SDHC).

I really do wish Amazon and Amazon customer support would get their stories straight. I cancelled my order for an 8GB HDSC on their say so .... good grief.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 03:05 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
There have been numerous reports that SDHC cards - at least up to 8GB in size - work OK. Whether there's any point in getting one, given the current library system, is a more debatable point; you probably won't want more than a couple of hundreds books at a time on there.

Perhaps best to get a 2GB SD. Very cheap, and will hold more books than you'll ever want.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-12-2008, 03:30 PM   #3
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
I am using a 8GB SDHC card (originally used with my laptop). Besides using it for additional ebook storage, I have some Audible.com audiobooks and may add a few mp3's. I could have done just as well with a 2 or 4 GB card but since I already had it...
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 03:34 PM   #4
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Oh, I absolutely believe an 8GB card will work .... I read somewhere where a 16GB SDHC worked.

What I'm talking about is that Amazon Kindle support is telling people that it's not recommended and not advisable ... and "might" void the warranty ...

And then on the other hand, they are selling the damn thing to Kindle users as the "accessory to have."

I ordered a 4GB SD (not HC) which cost me a little bit more actually, than the 8GB HDSC I originally had on order ... and it should arrive today ... but I'm just a bit miffed at the lack of real information coupled with the old hard sell elsewhere.
Old 06-13-2008, 11:28 PM   #5
CopperTrail
Enthusiast
CopperTrail is on a distinguished road

Device: Dell Axim X3i
Kind of hard for something that can't damage a device to void a warrantee. Someone doesn't have their facts straight at Amazon. The Kindle will either recognize the card or it won't, no damage done.
CopperTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-14-2008, 01:22 AM   #6
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Those cards can hold a lot of books, be sure to back it up
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 11:17 AM   #7
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervserver View Post
Those cards can hold a lot of books, be sure to back it up
Not a problem. I've got several terrabytes of storage on the home PC. Everything is backed up, and then backed up again by my Mirra server.
Old 06-20-2008, 11:59 AM   #8
pagansoul
Fanatic
pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone5, iPad Gen3, Kobo, Kindle Fire, Kobo Vox. Samsung Galaxy Tab 7
I have a 4GB SD card in my Kindle (and would love to have a working 8GB) because I also have 1GB of MP3s on my machine and about 300 free public domain classics on the card and pictures. I only have purchased books on my Kindle itself. It is a pain to scroll so many books but that is why the search is so cool.
pagansoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 12:54 PM   #9
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagansoul View Post
I have a 4GB SD card in my Kindle (and would love to have a working 8GB) because I also have 1GB of MP3s on my machine and about 300 free public domain classics on the card and pictures. I only have purchased books on my Kindle itself. It is a pain to scroll so many books but that is why the search is so cool.
Well, I'm told that an 8GB card will work ... and that a 16GB card will work.

I don't do a lot of turning pages to find the books I want. I too just do a search ... and more than likely, I'll purchase a larger card very soon.
Old 06-20-2008, 01:46 PM   #10
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
I don't have MP3s on my Kindle. I don't listen to music while reading and randomly playing the tracks in an audio book sounds like an interesting experiment, but not a very satisfactory way to follow the plot.

I have a 2G SD card in my Kindle -- taken from my camera when I upgraded it to 8G so it would hold a decent-length video. I only have 100 book files on my Kindle (core memory and SD card combined) because I don't want to have to search through too many books. Instead, I keep my entire eBook library on a USB drive that lives in my backpack and goes everywhere with me. I can mount the USB drive and the Kindle at the same time and move files between the two very easily.

When my sister got her Kindle, I bought a 1G SD card for $14 and put over 250 files on it -- many files containing multiple books. Those files took up only 135M of the 1G.

As you can see, the way I use my Kindle, I'm not a candidate for a large-capacity SD card. Now, give me a software update that provides some kind of organization by folders or "bookshelves" and gives me MP3 playlist capability -- I could change my mind very quickly.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 07:03 PM   #11
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Should I?

On my 'settings' it shows I've got 100mb available....I"m halfway filled up. Should I buy an sd card? Will it make my Kindle more efficient? In reading your posts, I'm thinking a 2 or 4 gb would be plenty for me.......

And please, someone, explain to me, step by step, how to 'back up' books I have on my Kindle to my laptop. I have no clue how I've gotten as far as I have......

Thanks!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 07:21 PM   #12
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
On my 'settings' it shows I've got 100mb available....I"m halfway filled up. Should I buy an sd card? Will it make my Kindle more efficient? In reading your posts, I'm thinking a 2 or 4 gb would be plenty for me.......

And please, someone, explain to me, step by step, how to 'back up' books I have on my Kindle to my laptop. I have no clue how I've gotten as far as I have......

Thanks!
I don't know about more efficient, but it will give you a lot more space, and not for all that much money. I've got a 4GB on mine now, and that should give me enough space to keep about 4,000 books.

Backing up is easy. Just hook your Kindle up via USB. Your book will be detected as a drive on your computer.

On your PC, just create a folder (I called mine "My Ebooks") where you want to back up all of your books. Then move over to your Kindle, and either Control plus click on just the books you want to back up, or ... control plus A to select all, then Control plus C to copy, then move back to your PC and into the folder you created and Control plus V to paste them all in that folder.

There are also some very inexpensive programs that you can purchase to keep your files between the two in sync. My favorite is GoodSync. That will compare both directories and then make copies as necessary to keep everything the same.
Old 06-20-2008, 07:26 PM   #13
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post

Thanks!
Is this a Windows laptop? If so, you should download and install MobiDesktop 6.0. It will do this for you. Here it is:

http://mason.gmu.edu/~nhoffeld/Mobipocket6.zip
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 08:10 PM   #14
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Thanks.......to both of you.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 09:45 PM   #15
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Is this a Windows laptop? If so, you should download and install MobiDesktop 6.0. It will do this for you. Here it is:

http://mason.gmu.edu/~nhoffeld/Mobipocket6.zip
Will it do all the books?? Including the Kindle azw (?) files??