Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-04-2007, 05:33 AM   #1
Detour
Lurker
Detour has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony Reader PRS 500/505 (blue) / iPhone / Kindle (gave away)
Reasons For Keeping My Sony Reader and Giving Away My Kindle

I ordered my Kindle the day they came out and was so excited I couldn't wait to get it. I decided to give my Sony Reader to a friend, and spent quite a bit of time loading it up with books I think my friend would enjoy while waiting for the Kindle to arrive. After using the Kindle I've decided my friend is getting it instead of the Sony. My reasons are:

I don't like the way the Kindle feels in my hands, I hate the buttons and much prefer the Sony controls. I keep accidentally pushing buttons I don't want pushed. It's very frustrating.

I don't need the Amazon store features in the Kindle. I have Sprint EV-DO on my laptop, which I confess I pay 80.00 a month for, (unlimited bandwidth) but I travel almost constantly for my job, and it is my primary internet connection and worth it to me.

I don't like the way the Kindle books are formatted, the margins are too large. I don't like the way the Connect Store books are formatted either though. Most of my ebook purchases are made at Fictionwise and I use BookDesigner to reformat for the reader the way I like them.

I'm comfortable with this process, and even if I kept the Kindle I would have to continue doing this because I made the mistake of giving Sony Readers to some family members who can't manage to put books on them. The Kindle would have been a kinder gift to those people and a smaller burden on myself.

My biggest reason for giving my friend the Kindle and keeping my Reader is that I'm afraid the Kindle will put me in the poor house. I am a compulsive and impulsive gadget and book buyer. I love new gadgets and can't ever have enough books. The LAST thing I need is a gadget that makes buying books any easier for me. This is what will probably happen:

Holy cow, what happened to the house payment money?

Oh yes, it's in my Kindle.

At least with the Reader I have to think about it a bit more before buying. I've had the Kindle for over a week and I like the Sony better by a large margin. Not only because I can control my compulsion to buy books easier with it, but also because it does everything I want it to do, exactly how I want it done.

It's also sexier.
Detour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 06:35 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
That is one aspect of the Kindle nobody has yet to mention. How easier it is to spend too much on ebooks. You are correct in that it is a new level of easy to overspend.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-04-2007, 09:12 AM   #3
airlik
Connoisseur
airlik began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Hah, funny... I've had to impose a rule on myself: no buying anything that hasn't been in my Amazon shopping cart for at least 24 hours. It's saved me scads of money over the last few years...
airlik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 09:41 AM   #4
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado
KlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enough

Device: Fire, Kindle1, Sony PRS-500 Reader, Rocket 1100 eBook
Heh, I feel you pain. There's always BBA (Book Buyers Anonymous)
KlondikeGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 10:44 AM   #5
kezza
Lowlife of the Party
kezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura about

Device: nook, iphone
Yeah, I would totally go overboard with book buying on a kindle. With the Sony I utilize the wish list feature pretty heavily (and when I'm away from a windows computer I use a shopping list app on my treo to keep track of that stuff). If I bought everything right away I'd have made some pretty stupid purchases. Going back and looking at my wishlist sometimes it's like "what was I smoking that day?!"
kezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-04-2007, 11:11 AM   #6
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by KlondikeGeoff View Post
I prefer BBU -- Book Buyers Unanimous.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 06:17 PM   #7
Detour
Lurker
Detour has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony Reader PRS 500/505 (blue) / iPhone / Kindle (gave away)
Quote:
That is one aspect of the Kindle nobody has yet to mention. How easier it is to spend too much on ebooks. You are correct in that it is a new level of easy to overspend.
Very easy. While I exaggerated, I didn't actually spend near the house payment, it is frightening to me how much I spent without realizing I'd spent it. Enough that I had to transfer funds from one account to another, and ask my husband not to use his bank card until this deposit posted - which was embarrassing. Bless him, all he said about it was "I was worried about that happening".

Quote:
LOL Is this where I confess "Hi, I'm Detour and I'm a bibliophile. I admit I am powerless over my need for everything bookish" I don't think I could stick with the program, I'd fall off the library cart.

Quote:
Yeah, I would totally go overboard with book buying on a kindle. With the Sony I utilize the wish list feature pretty heavily (and when I'm away from a windows computer I use a shopping list app on my treo to keep track of that stuff). If I bought everything right away I'd have made some pretty stupid purchases. Going back and looking at my wishlist sometimes it's like "what was I smoking that day?!"
I use the wish list everywhere else, too. Including for Amazon pbook purchases. I've had the same experience of finding things on wish lists that I never really wanted. The Kindle thing is just too easy. I guess I felt like I was wish listing only I was committing.

Quote:
I prefer BBU -- Book Buyers Unanimous.
Where do I sign up for this one? Are there field trips to remote rare and exotic book stores?

I just found out that Kindles are selling on eBay for a thousand dollars! Wish I hadn't already promised this one to someone.
Detour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 06:21 PM   #8
Astropin
Connoisseur
Astropin is on a distinguished road

Device: PRS-505, N800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Detour View Post

I just found out that Kindles are selling on eBay for a thousand dollars! Wish I hadn't already promised this one to someone.

$1000!.......people are stupid.
Astropin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 07:23 PM   #9
nathantw
Zealot
nathantw doesn't litternathantw doesn't litternathantw doesn't litter

Device: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astropin View Post
$1000!.......people are stupid.
Actually, some people have too much money for their own good. Remember, someone purchased a baseball for $300,000 so he could deface it.
nathantw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 12:49 PM   #10
beckaboo71
beckaboo71 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Hmm! You've got me thinking, now! I saw the ads for the Kindle2 and was mesmerized! I wanted one REALLY bad, but after reading some of this stuff, maybe I don't want one afterall! I'll have to do some more research!
beckaboo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 01:39 PM   #11
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckaboo71 View Post
Hmm! You've got me thinking, now! I saw the ads for the Kindle2 and was mesmerized! I wanted one REALLY bad, but after reading some of this stuff, maybe I don't want one afterall! I'll have to do some more research!
Look into my eyes...

You WANT a Kindle....

You WANT a Kindle....

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 01:48 PM   #12
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathantw View Post
Actually, some people have too much money for their own good. Remember, someone purchased a baseball for $300,000 so he could deface it.
Rock star money!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 03:31 PM   #13
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
that is just nuts
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 04:00 PM   #14
Renaldo
Addict
Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
People are selling Kindles on Ebay for $1499.00... This does not mean people are actually buying Kindles on ebay at that price.
Renaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 04:01 PM   #15
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renaldo View Post
People are selling Kindles on Ebay for $1499.00... This does not mean people are actually buying Kindles on ebay at that price.
You can search on ebay for "sold" kindles to see what they are actually selling for.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote