Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-03-2010, 10:35 AM   #46
Tess89
Enthusiast
Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Just saw the instructions for rooting the NC using Windows and ... I think I'll wait to see what the B&N update has to offer. Without 3G access, I really only want one or two android apps anyway. I'm hoping B&N won't be unnecessarily stingy with what they'll allow on the device. I get that they don't want to compete with other tablets but that doesn't mean they need to limit their own.
Tess89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 10:45 AM   #47
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tess89 View Post
Just saw the instructions for rooting the NC using Windows and ... I think I'll wait to see what the B&N update has to offer. Without 3G access, I really only want one or two android apps anyway. I'm hoping B&N won't be unnecessarily stingy with what they'll allow on the device. I get that they don't want to compete with other tablets but that doesn't mean they need to limit their own.
From NOOKDeveloper FAQs:

What type of applications should I create?

NOOKcolor opens up a whole new world of digital reading experiences allowing you to build upon Barnes & Nobleʼs open eReading ecosystem in a variety of ways, beyond the printed word:

• Enrich book content with reference material, audio, photos, videos, Web links, plug-ins, and more to help readers get more out of their books.
• Extend book content with applications from cooking to travel to science and nature, helping readers further explore their interests.
• Expand beyond reading with word games, puzzles, and more when readers want to take a break from a favorite book or magazine.

Can you give me examples of the types of applications you are looking for?

Millions of book lovers are ready for engaging content and innovative applications that relate to their reading experience. Here are a few examples to serve as idea starters:

• Reference: dictionaries, thesaurus, atlas and encyclopedias.
• Education: “how to” guides, language learning, childrenʼs learning and exploring and vocabulary builders.
• Hobbies & Interests: travel, cooking, food & wine, home & garden, science & nature, history, geography, and others.
-*‐ Travel aids and tools, phrase books, destination companions, recipe tools, ingredient information, knowledgebases, and wine and book club pairings.
• Productivity: reading library stats, note-taking tools, sharing tools, journaling and book club organizers.
• Games: word, puzzle, brain-teasers, trivia, board, card and casual games.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-03-2010, 11:05 AM   #48
LoganK
Groupie
LoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notes

Device: PRS-505,nook,Nook Color,Android
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lastblade View Post
Is there an Airvideo equivalent for the droid that works on NC? I really love AV for iPad, it is so easy and works wonderfully.
The technology is called DLNA. Try searching for "Android DLNA client" if you are looking to watch videos on your Nook Color, or "Android DLNA server" if you are looking to share videos from your Color.

I don't have personal experience with any of these tools.
LoganK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 12:53 PM   #49
exodus1999
Enthusiast
exodus1999 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.exodus1999 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.exodus1999 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook classic, nook color
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
From NOOKDeveloper FAQs:

What type of applications should I create?

NOOKcolor opens up a whole new world of digital reading experiences allowing you to build upon Barnes & Nobleʼs open eReading ecosystem in a variety of ways, beyond the printed word:

• Enrich book content with reference material, audio, photos, videos, Web links, plug-ins, and more to help readers get more out of their books.
• Extend book content with applications from cooking to travel to science and nature, helping readers further explore their interests.
• Expand beyond reading with word games, puzzles, and more when readers want to take a break from a favorite book or magazine.

Can you give me examples of the types of applications you are looking for?

Millions of book lovers are ready for engaging content and innovative applications that relate to their reading experience. Here are a few examples to serve as idea starters:

• Reference: dictionaries, thesaurus, atlas and encyclopedias.
• Education: “how to” guides, language learning, childrenʼs learning and exploring and vocabulary builders.
• Hobbies & Interests: travel, cooking, food & wine, home & garden, science & nature, history, geography, and others.
-*‐ Travel aids and tools, phrase books, destination companions, recipe tools, ingredient information, knowledgebases, and wine and book club pairings.
• Productivity: reading library stats, note-taking tools, sharing tools, journaling and book club organizers.
• Games: word, puzzle, brain-teasers, trivia, board, card and casual games.
so basically they want a tablet...lol
exodus1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 12:58 PM   #50
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by exodus1999 View Post
so basically they want a tablet...lol
Or in their words a "Reading-Centric" tablet.
Advert
Old 12-03-2010, 12:59 PM   #51
exodus1999
Enthusiast
exodus1999 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.exodus1999 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.exodus1999 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook classic, nook color
Quote:
Originally Posted by exodus1999 View Post
Wondering who else put apps successfully on there nooks. So far i have tried and had work:

angry birds
Astro filemanager
launcher pro
Scrabble (small screen in corner)
Advanced task killer
dolphin browser hd
gameboid, guitar hero WoR (small screen)
Tetris (small screen)
Tower raiders
GBCoid
kindle
Abducted! 2
Teamviewer <- great for remote desktoping
office suite
winamp
google earth
appplanet.net
google maps
speedx 3d - you must try this game!
rockplayer
droidftp
andtftp (i prefer droidftp)

failed:
vplayer
swype
battle bears zombie
Nexus live wallpaper (all wall papers tried failed)
Backgrounds
pocket legends
aircontrol
asphalt
my paper plane 2
solo
fruit ninja
planets vs zombies
toss it
beautiful widgets
ADW
-----------------------

I think its safe to say majority of the android apps will work. the live wallpapers fail (obvious reasons). and apps that require certain resolution (some need 800 x 400 etc) .
exodus1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 10:15 PM   #52
MikFinkel
MikFinkel began at the beginning.

Device: nook and NOOKcolor
do you have to root the NC to add aps? If not how do you add aps?
MikFinkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 10:19 PM   #53
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikFinkel View Post
do you have to root the NC to add aps? If not how do you add aps?
As of today you do. An app store is expected from Barnes & Noble early next year.
Old 12-04-2010, 04:52 AM   #54
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
I feel like I'm missing out, but another part of me says, "Be patient". You guys aren't helping any!
Well, I finally gave in to you guys. I'm rooted. Did it on a Mac.
Old 12-04-2010, 08:56 AM   #55
s52m3
Enthusiast
s52m3 began at the beginning.

Device: none
So if you root the NC does that mean that you won't be able to apply the updates from B&N? Like when they push out the newer Android operating system to support flash etc. Also will their upcoming app store not work?
s52m3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 01:58 PM   #56
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The nook, ipad 3, Kindle Fire HD (8.9), Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Welcome to the club! Now we just need to corrupt BOSWD next
Noah98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 02:04 PM   #57
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The nook, ipad 3, Kindle Fire HD (8.9), Kindle Paperwhite
***For those that are having problems with apps only taking up a small part of the screen:

Install the latest version of SpareParts.apk
http://forum.cyanogenmod.com/topic/917-spare-parts-app/

Then, follow the directions in this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zasSIA7sexM

Voila! Fullscreen apps!
Noah98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 02:22 PM   #58
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
I use a Mac too. Glad to know it's possible. So what's your verdict? Are you happy you surrendered to the peer pressure?
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 02:30 PM   #59
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
I use a Mac too. Glad to know it's possible. So what's your verdict? Are you happy you surrendered to the peer pressure?
I'm not easily influenced, so I'm surprised I caved in. To the viewing audience at home: Do as I say, not as I do.

The verdict is
Old 12-04-2010, 07:21 PM   #60
lionel47
Addict
lionel47 doesn't litterlionel47 doesn't litter

Device: B&N Nook, Nook Color
Quote:
I'm not easily influenced, so I'm surprised I caved in. To the viewing audience at home: Do as I say, not as I do.

The verdict is
Hmmm...I'm thinking of just waiting for them to add the B&N app store. However, seeing that you can get Angry Birds goodness on there, I am tempted.

However, in the interest of not having to worry about updates ruining functionality, I will wait.
lionel47 is offline   Reply With Quote