Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 06-05-2013, 05:39 AM   #1
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
New Fire Update Breaks Wallpapers on Launchers

Kindle Fire Update Adds Battery % Meter and Breaks Wallpapers on Alt Launchers

Bad move Amazon. The Fire is a great media tablet, if it's allowed to use an alternative launcher without jail breaking. The Fire's biggest problem is it's abysmal interface! The carousel sucks big time. Where is folder organization?

I love the Fire HD 8.9 because of its low price, and the ability to customize the interface via ADW Launcher and sideload apps missing from your store; in spite of your lockdown. Continue to break this ability and you'll find me moving to another 9-10" device.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 11:19 AM   #2
KimberlyFDR
Groupie
KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Fire 7, Fire HD 6, FireStick, Echo, Echo Dot, Echo Connect
On the opposite side, some of us don't use alternative launchers, so this won't negatively affect us. However, I can see the issues for those who do

I haven't checked my Fire to see if the automatic update already came through, but having a battery % meter without having to pull down my screen or check the battery monitor app would be nice.
KimberlyFDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 11:49 AM   #3
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimberlyFDR View Post
I haven't checked my Fire to see if the automatic update already came through, but having a battery % meter without having to pull down my screen or check the battery monitor app would be nice.
Agree with that
Old 06-05-2013, 01:59 PM   #4
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I agree, bad move. I had a nice tiger wallpaper, now it's just black. I suppose it could be worse.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 04:28 PM   #5
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
GSan

Quote:
On the opposite side, some of us don't use alternative launchers, so this won't negatively affect us. However, I can see the issues for those who do

Try GSam Battery Monitor. You can leave a large icon in the upper right corner which shows percentage of charge left.

I went to the Amazon Kindle Fire HD 7 firmware update site:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=201016350

I found the latest firmware offered there is 7.3.1. I looked at my unit and I am up to 7.4.1. Why does the site still display an old version?

Last edited by sirmaru; 06-06-2013 at 04:34 PM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 04:59 PM   #6
KimberlyFDR
Groupie
KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Fire 7, Fire HD 6, FireStick, Echo, Echo Dot, Echo Connect
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
Try GSam Battery Monitor. You can leave a large icon in the upper right corner which shows percentage of charge left.
I already have that (though I use Battery HD a whole lot more). I'm excited to have something non-app dependent, though And mine did indeed update, so I have the battery monitor running from Amazon. Hurrah!
KimberlyFDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 06:19 PM   #7
nprentiss
Connoisseur
nprentiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nprentiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nprentiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nprentiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nprentiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nprentiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nprentiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nprentiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nprentiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nprentiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nprentiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505
Quote:

I went to the Amazon Kindle Fire HD 7 firmware update site:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=201016350

I found the latest firmware offered there is 7.3.1. I looked at my unit and I am up to 7.4.1. Why does the site still display an old version?
This is certainly curious. They've rolled back to the 8.3.1 update, instead of 8.4.1 for the 8.9"HD, as well. They also removed the "headline" about the updates on the homescreen of the Kindle Help Forums.

My HD7 was incredibly unstable after the 7.4.1 update, refusing to take a battery charge unless I reset the device (sometimes multiple times)--reaching the point where I thought I might need to return the device. Maybe they've gotten similar complaints, and have had to pull the update?
nprentiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 06:38 PM   #8
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Where is Amazon Battery Monitor?

Quote:
I already have that (though I use Battery HD a whole lot more). I'm excited to have something non-app dependent, though And mine did indeed update, so I have the battery monitor running from Amazon. Hurrah!
I don't see an Amazon Battery Monitor on my unit. Maybe its covered by the GSam battery icon in the upper right hand corner.
Old 06-08-2013, 08:39 AM   #9
Kwality
Fervent Reader
Kwality began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
I don't see an Amazon Battery Monitor on my unit. Maybe its covered by the GSam battery icon in the upper right hand corner.
Go to the top menu > More > Settings/Device. Under the Battery Remaining bar you will find a new option "Show Battery Percentage in Status Bar" . Switch to On.
Kwality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 10:02 AM   #10
sirmaru
Wizard

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwality View Post
Go to the top menu > More > Settings/Device. Under the Battery Remaining bar you will find a new option "Show Battery Percentage in Status Bar" . Switch to On.
Thanks for that information. I tried it and it shows right next to the huge GSam percentage icon so I turned it off. I prefer just the GSam icon. The percent number is exactly the same as the one in the GSam icon.
Old 06-09-2013, 09:52 AM   #11
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Kindle Fire Update Adds Battery % Meter and Breaks Wallpapers on Alt Launchers

Bad move Amazon. The Fire is a great media tablet, if it's allowed to use an alternative launcher without jail breaking. The Fire's biggest problem is it's abysmal interface! The carousel sucks big time. Where is folder organization?

I love the Fire HD 8.9 because of its low price, and the ability to customize the interface via ADW Launcher and sideload apps missing from your store; in spite of your lockdown. Continue to break this ability and you'll find me moving to another 9-10" device.
The implication of your post is that Amazon did something deliberately to break support for wallpapers on alternative launchers. Do you seriously believe that?

What is more likely is that Amazon fixed some internal bugs and accidentally broke wallpaper support for an application that Amazon does not formally support and has never claimed ever worked on the Fire.

This "Amazon keep preventing me from using the device in a manner that you never intended and I'll go to another device that will!" mindset reminds me of the guy who used a Sears Craftsman push mower as a hedge trimmer.

Last edited by WillysJeepMan; 06-09-2013 at 09:54 AM.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 12:02 PM   #12
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Quote:
Thanks for that information. I tried it and it shows right next to the huge GSam percentage icon so I turned it off. I prefer just the GSam icon. The percent number is exactly the same as the one in the GSam icon.
But using the one Amazon just released takes up less space on the device. Leaves you room for something else.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:30 PM   #13
Breathinlady
Zealot
Breathinlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Breathinlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Breathinlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Breathinlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Breathinlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Breathinlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Breathinlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Breathinlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Breathinlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Breathinlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Breathinlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Fire HD,HD6,10HD,2 Fire Phones iPod touch, iPad3, Nexus 10
Strange just looked to see what version and I have 7.4.3! What is going on?
Breathinlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 10:39 AM   #14
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

My HD upgraded, fell into a black hole and broke the wallpaper
Old 07-24-2013, 07:27 AM   #15
iPatty
Zealot
iPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle2 KFHD 7, Galaxy 10.1
Are there any fixes for the broken wallpaper yet? I enjoyed using ADW launcher .
iPatty is offline   Reply With Quote