Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-16-2008, 09:59 PM   #16
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I'm curious how it does this with multiple PIDs. Most asymetric ciphers use a key to convert plain text to cipher text. I'm not sure how this would work with 3 keys. Unless the whole file isn't encrypted and there is just some header. Hmmm...

BOb

You know... *I'm* not sure myself. I mean, I've got four PIDS registered with Mobipocket and Fictionwise and when I buy a Secure Mobipocket ebook and download it, I don't have to download one for each of my devices - one download does it all.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 10:05 PM   #17
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
You know... *I'm* not sure myself. I mean, I've got four PIDS registered with Mobipocket and Fictionwise and when I buy a Secure Mobipocket ebook and download it, I don't have to download one for each of my devices - one download does it all.

Derek
I wonder if the file is a compressed package with one copy of the document for each PID. Is the document smaller when you have 1 PID registered with the store as opposed to 4?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 10:19 PM   #18
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I wonder if the file is a compressed package with one copy of the document for each PID. Is the document smaller when you have 1 PID registered with the store as opposed to 4?

BOb

I haven't tested it. Nor am I willing to go through the hassle of deleting PIDs from the registered PID lists to find out. I've had hassles changing/adding them before. Sorry.

Derek
Old 05-16-2008, 10:48 PM   #19
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Wallcraft, did you downloaded this one? If that's the one you had, did you notice the restrictions on it? The conversion could have failed because of the DRM put on the file by Adobe.

XHTML Rights:
Copying not allowed
Printing not allowed
Lending not allowed
Reading aloud not allowed

P.S. Try one from Feedbooks instead. I'll try some also.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 11:12 PM   #20
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
If that's the one you had, did you notice the restrictions on it?
That is the one, but I never got to the full web page on the ebook. It does not have DRM, and I don't see these restrictions in the actual .epub. The .opf file says:
Quote:
<dc:rights>Public Domain</dc:rights>
What it does have is an embedded font, which might be part of the problem.

I have tried EPUBs from feedbooks, and they work except that the .ncx file is again ignored. There is a TOC, but it comes from the guide section of the .opf file rather than the .ncx file.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 11:18 PM   #21
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
That is the one, but I never got to the full web page on the ebook. It does not have DRM, and I don't see these restrictions in the actual .epub. The .opf file says: What it does have is an embedded font, which might be part of the problem.

I have tried EPUBs from feedbooks, and they work except that the .ncx file is again ignored. There is a TOC, but it comes from the guide section of the .opf file rather than the .ncx file.
If there is no DRM, then the conversion should have worked. I tried a couple from Feedbooks, and you're right. It leaves much to be desired.

There is a vast amount of data in the epub file. The conversion should be just as good as a conversion from an exploded MSLIT.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 12:21 AM   #22
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
I haven't tested it. Nor am I willing to go through the hassle of deleting PIDs from the registered PID lists to find out. I've had hassles changing/adding them before. Sorry.
No big deal. Just my geek/programmer curiosity.

BOb
Old 05-17-2008, 02:38 AM   #23
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:

BOb
No, it isn't. I've just re-downloaded my (extremely large) Chambers Dictionary having added the PID of my new Gen3. The file is the same size.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 12:10 PM   #24
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
No, it isn't. I've just re-downloaded my (extremely large) Chambers Dictionary having added the PID of my new Gen3. The file is the same size.
Thanks for the info. The plot thickens.

BOb
Old 05-17-2008, 05:06 PM   #25
Gudy
Wizard
Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux (623)
Quote:
Thanks for the info. The plot thickens.
Not necessarily. One way to achieve this would be a two-step process where you encrypt each book with a key unique to that book, then encrypt the key needed to decrypt the book with the PID. If the mobipocket format has a fixed place to store the decryption key four times for each of the four PIDs allowed, the size doesn't need to change.

If you assume a 2048 bit key for encrypting/decrypting the book, then storing four encrypted versions of that key takes 1 kB, which isn't that much.

I don't know if this is what happens, but IIRC, this is how gnupg works if you encrypt an email for multiple recipients (except that gnupg doesn't have a fixed number of "slots", so each additional recipient you encrypt the message for enlarges the whole thing by a couple hundred bytes).
Gudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 05:46 PM   #26
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Which will generate a very ugly TOC then since we follow the advice from Adobe's best practice guide and divide our books into multiple-flows.

I guess that currently, they generate the TOC this way, because that's how OEBPS1.0 worked with an OPF and they didn't changed anything compared to their normal Mobipocket generation.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 06:55 PM   #27
delphidb96
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudy View Post
Not necessarily. One way to achieve this would be a two-step process where you encrypt each book with a key unique to that book, then encrypt the key needed to decrypt the book with the PID. If the mobipocket format has a fixed place to store the decryption key four times for each of the four PIDs allowed, the size doesn't need to change.

If you assume a 2048 bit key for encrypting/decrypting the book, then storing four encrypted versions of that key takes 1 kB, which isn't that much.

I don't know if this is what happens, but IIRC, this is how gnupg works if you encrypt an email for multiple recipients (except that gnupg doesn't have a fixed number of "slots", so each additional recipient you encrypt the message for enlarges the whole thing by a couple hundred bytes).
There's a 16-byte primary key (the same across all Secure Mobipocket ebooks) and a 10-byte PID key. That gives 128 bits in the hidden key and 80 bits in the PID key. I suppose you should study how the various decryption python scripts handle it all.

Derek
Old 05-19-2008, 06:54 PM   #28
StephanieP
StephanieP has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Reading aloud not allowed
*is amused* How would they enforce that one.
StephanieP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 03:06 AM   #29
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephanieP View Post
*is amused* How would they enforce that one.
The Windows version of Microsoft Reader has a "reading aloud" feature (which actually works pretty well). It's disabled for books with DRM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 02:34 PM   #30
StephanieP
StephanieP has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Cybook Gen3
Oh, I didn't know that. But still, you have to admit it sounds awfully funny to not allow something to be read aloud.

Even if the program won't read it aloud, nothing is stopping the person who bought it from doing so. I fail to see how disabling that protects much of anything.
StephanieP is offline   Reply With Quote