Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 07-10-2010, 09:40 AM   #1
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Free Book (Kindle pre-order) - Hour of the Hunter

A special edition of Hour of the Hunter: With Bonus Material, by J. A. Jance, is available as a free pre-order (this means if you pre-order it while it is priced at $0.00, then you won't pay anything when it is released, no matter what it is selling for then).

Book Description
The hunter is free to kill again -- and hour by hour, he draws closer . . .

The brilliant psychopath Andrew Carlisle spent only six years in prison for the brutal torture–murder of a young girl of the Tohono O'otham tribe. The testimony of Diana Ladd -- a teacher on the reservation -- put Carlisle behind bars, and now she can't ignore the dark, mystical signs that say a predator has returned to prowl the Arizona desert. Because no matter where Diana and her young son hide . . . he will find them.
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 03:34 PM   #2
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
It's a 1990 novel in the Brandon Walker series -- the first -- in anticipation of the fourth book in the series, Queen of the Night, being released this month. The pre-order is also free in Canada.

More on the author's Walker series here: http://www.jajance.com/jajance.com/Walker.html
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 04:33 PM   #3
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Released today and still free. Also now free @ B&N.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 05:33 PM   #4
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Free for iBooks as well (and also released today!)
Old 08-24-2010, 07:53 PM   #5
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Apparently someone forgot to tick the box to make it available to Australia. Looks like it is geo-restricted.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 10:07 PM   #6
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Got my copy on the Kindle today ... but it's also FREEly available at Kobobooks for $9.79 ...
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 05:24 AM   #7
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Now also free in the Sony store, but greyed-out to "US-only".
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 01:58 AM   #8
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
Yep... It's not available in Australia..
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 03:35 PM   #9
koland
Grand Sorcerer

The special edition of Hour of the Hunter: With Bonus Material, by J. A. Jance, is once again available in the Kindle store. This one is supposed to have the corrected text (minus all the typos and formatting issues of the first edition). If you missed it the first time, don't dally in ordering it this time, as it will only be free "for a week" (which could mean anything, from a 7 day period to only until Friday). If you purchased it the first time, however, in order to get this version you'll either need to get customer service involved (you can talk them into sending you the new version, usually), or just do what I did: go to the Manage My Kindle page, search for Jance in Your Orders, click the + sign next to the book title and then click on the Delete This Title button. Once you've done that, you can re-order the book, using the link above. Takes only a few seconds, and is probably faster than using the Call Me option, let alone explaining the issue to a Customer Service Rep.

Book Description
The hunter is free to kill again -- and hour by hour, he draws closer . . .

The brilliant psychopath Andrew Carlisle spent only six years in prison for the brutal torture–murder of a young girl of the Tohono O'otham tribe. The testimony of Diana Ladd -- a teacher on the reservation -- put Carlisle behind bars, and now she can't ignore the dark, mystical signs that say a predator has returned to prowl the Arizona desert. Because no matter where Diana and her young son hide . . . he will find them.
Old 09-21-2010, 04:21 PM   #10
koland
Grand Sorcerer

For those outside the US, it appears that this one is free in Canada, Europe and Asia, $1.15 in the UK (in the US store; it's full price in the UK store), full price in AU & $2.99 in Africa, India, Latin America, and the Middle East.

This is also free in the Sony store and from Kobo, but not (at least, yet) from B&N.

Last edited by koland; 09-21-2010 at 04:30 PM.
Old 09-21-2010, 04:55 PM   #11
AbFabGab
Gadget-Luster
AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Samsung Galaxy Tab S2
Don't put it in your trash.. LOL. It took me forever to find the trash, put it back in my collection then delete as you instructed above. (I got impatient waiting for my order list to load so started clicking away..)
AbFabGab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 09:04 PM   #12
koland
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbFabGab View Post
Don't put it in your trash.. LOL. It took me forever to find the trash, put it back in my collection then delete as you instructed above. (I got impatient waiting for my order list to load so started clicking away..)
LOL! I forgot about that trick (hiding things in the trash). That can prevent you from finding it, so it can be deleted, true.

With Sony, all I had to do was delete the old copy and re-download. I didn't have it from Kobo, but "bought" it there, as well, so I could compare old Sony to new Kobo before I did the redownload.

With the Kindle, there was the extra step to remove the old one from my online library, but it took a lot longer to type up the directions than to do it.
Old 09-21-2010, 11:00 PM   #13
koland
Grand Sorcerer

I'm posting this from my blog, as I had to go thru several steps to get the updated version on my Kindle (epub stores only required a quick re-download) and I thought others might have run into the same problem.
======================

It turns out that getting the updated edition of Hour of the Hunter: With Bonus Material may not be as simple as it should be. Usually with a book, you can delete it manually from your account (as outlined in this post), then re-purchase the book to get the new edition. In my account, though, this didn't work (more later on how you can tell if you have the fixed edition). I went thru this process several times, including while on the phone with Amazon Kindle support, but still the old version kept being redownloaded. She even tried setting the book to the new version manually (still, it didn't work). Finally, the customer support rep had me remove it from my account (for about the 6th time, I think), then she "reset the last page read" on the book and she added the book to the account from her end. This finally worked and I have the new edition on my Kindle. Definitely more work than at Sony, where all I had to do was delete the book from the library on the PC and re-download from inside the software. I wasn't able to check on the nook, since I hadn't downloaded it to my PC before today and the new version downloaded when I opened it.

Also, the book is now free again at B&N (although it won't appear in searches), HERE, joining Sony and Kobo in giving away EPUB versions. Don't forget that with Kobo, if you don't click on "Add to Library" under the cover picture, you won't get access to the book later on, when it is no longer free, although you can download it right now without adding it to your library.

So, how do you tell which version you have? Open the book to the Table of Contents (menu, Go To, Table of Contents). If it says

Quote:
Contents

Cover
Title Page
Epigraph

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
without any other text added, you have the new version. The old edition included part of the first line of each section after the chapter numbers (and didn't have the word "chapter" in the TOC at all). This one check will tell you which you have. There are other problems, including OCR'd typos, as was explained on JA Jance's blog:

Quote:
... for the "free" promotion, they had to do a "new" edition. To do that they scanned the old file of the manuscript using an OCR (Optical Character Recognition) program. Since this was "a very old pre 2005 file," as my editor called it, the OCR didn't exactly recognize lots of the words. The resulting file was sort of like reading the book in not quite English. For instance, where I said "that" the free edition said "mat." Where I said "him"; the free edition said "nun." Where I said "thud," OCR said "mud." Where I said "truth," the free edition said "tram."
If you have the old edition and have already gone thru permanently deleting (not just removing from the Kindle) and re-purchasing, then you'll need to contact Kindle customer service (on the Kindle Support page, reached from any Kindle book page, go to the very bottom and choose Contact Us, then use the phone option for the fastest results). Once you go thru the introductions with the rep, ask them to reset the last page read on the book and to set the book to the current edition (this may require them to have you remove the book from your account, just as I did, although it shouldn't). Make sure you have the current edition by checking the table of contents before you get off the phone.

This is definitely one that Amazon should be contacting us on and giving us the option to get the new version substituted easily (usually all you have to do is reply to an email or forward it to a special address, but since this one is a screw-up by one of the Agency publishers, Amazon isn't technically involved in getting the replacement version distributed, as they are when they are the ones selling the defective editions).
Old 09-22-2010, 02:34 PM   #14
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I must have the newer edition, as there is only one "nun" used incorrectly; and there is only one "tram." (The word "nun" is used in more than one place, but it's used correctly.)

For anyone else who does a Search on those two words, you apparently have the latest edition.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote