Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-27-2014, 11:43 PM   #31
sian
Addict
sian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: kindle oasis ( 2018) kindle Fire hd 10 ( 2017)
trying to find out what the best kindle for low vision friend who wants a non computerised voice . he heard my kindle hd bit its out of his budget at the moment

also needs a built in light ( not add on) like the pw has

any suggestion?

the problem is the exiting books and finding the volume and power buttons on the kindle fire hd is extremely difficult. also need so sort of light to show when charging
sian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 11:53 PM   #32
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by sian View Post
trying to find out what the best kindle for low vision friend who wants a non computerised voice . he heard my kindle hd bit its out of his budget at the moment

also needs a built in light ( not add on) like the pw has

any suggestion?

the problem is the exiting books and finding the volume and power buttons on the kindle fire hd is extremely difficult. also need so sort of light to show when charging
I just checked.

The $99 Kindle HD6 (not sure when it will be available in Europe?) has accessibility features, most importantly voice over: see attached for options.
The on button is easy to feel (top of device), the micro usb is right next to it. When you plug it in, there is a sound and the screen turns on. No LED light, though.
The volume buttons are on the left, easy to feel as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	1.44 MB
ID:	130259  

Last edited by xendula; 10-27-2014 at 11:55 PM.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2014, 01:40 AM   #33
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by copyrite View Post
Clarifying... I really wish the Kindle app supported TTS! I've even made the suggestion to Amazon over the phone, in chat, on the Android app page.
Well unfortunately Amazon owns audible too and wants you to buy audio books, so it's probably not happening.

Google Books has tts, but I guess nobody cares about Google books.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 02:42 PM   #34
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
I just checked.

The $99 Kindle HD6 (not sure when it will be available in Europe?) has accessibility features, most importantly voice over: see attached for options.
The on button is easy to feel (top of device), the micro usb is right next to it. When you plug it in, there is a sound and the screen turns on. No LED light, though.
The volume buttons are on the left, easy to feel as well.
If by the $99 Kindle HD6 you mean the 8GB it's already here and it's £79, the 16GB IS £99. I've ordered mine today with the red case for delivery tomorrow
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 02:46 PM   #35
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've got Voice Dream on my iPhone and iPad but it only takes epub so it's a flaff getting the epubs into Voice Dream, I have to go via Dropbox and Marvin. I've ordered a Kindle Fire HD 6 so looking forward to seeing how the TTS works on the HD 6
Advert
Old 10-28-2014, 07:03 PM   #36
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
If by the $99 Kindle HD6 you mean the 8GB it's already here and it's £79, the 16GB IS £99. I've ordered mine today with the red case for delivery tomorrow
Oh nice! Europe usually gets new Amazon devices later than the US, but at least much earlier than Canada.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 12:01 AM   #37
sian
Addict
sian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

i love the kindle fire hd voice is it in the new kindle hd 6 and kindle hd 7

my very old keyboard kindle and kindle 2 are so robotic it hurts my ears
Old 10-31-2014, 12:10 AM   #38
sian
Addict

thanks very helpful

we solved the exit book problem accidently taped the centre on the screen.

but now cant seem to sync with widows xp or any other computer. by that i mean its listed but the folders are all empty but ive got 1000 books on the kindle and really need to back up before my friend trys my kindle.

as he borrowing it for over a week .

he be so happy about the speech in the kindle hd 6 or hd 7 (2014)

now the fun starts
Old 10-31-2014, 12:14 AM   #39
sian
Addict

can u let me no how u get on as im to near the tts hd 6 hd 7 issue to see if there will be problems for him. as im the only one to help i dont want to recommend things if unsutable.

Quote:
I've got Voice Dream on my iPhone and iPad but it only takes epub so it's a flaff getting the epubs into Voice Dream, I have to go via Dropbox and Marvin. I've ordered a Kindle Fire HD 6 so looking forward to seeing how the TTS works on the HD 6
Old 10-31-2014, 12:20 AM   #40
sian
Addict

it would be nice if amazon kindle app could talk without useing voice over.

but i guess its better than not talking . its just too robotic and it speaks everything ( on my spread sheet it read every cell letter then every number of the row then the box contence )
Old 10-31-2014, 04:01 AM   #41
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sian View Post
can u let me no how u get on as im to near the tts hd 6 hd 7 issue to see if there will be problems for him. as im the only one to help i dont want to recommend things if unsutable.
The TTS on the Fire worked very well, I only had it for a day before I sent it back but it was good. I had a female voice, I couldn't see a way to change the voice but it was a nice even voice.
Old 10-31-2014, 04:03 AM   #42
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
The TTS on the Fire worked very well, I only had it for a day before I sent it back but it was good. I had a female voice, I couldn't see a way to change the voice but it was a nice even voice.
The Fire uses Ivona TTS, and you can load other Ivona voices onto it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 11:40 AM   #43
sian
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The Fire uses Ivona TTS, and you can load other Ivona voices onto it.
i cant see how to change the voice, but from what my friend been say he wants a non robotic

so going to let him listen to my kindle 2 and kindle keyboard to compare to the fire cus havent a clue how to change the voice .

any idea how to change the fire voice? ( save me having to take both . which will be awkard for me)
Old 11-02-2014, 12:39 PM   #44
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
Swipe down, press Settings.

Settings -> Language & Keyboard -> Text-to-Speech -> Download Additional Voices

The Fire HD 6's voice is *much* less robotic sounding than the Kindle Keyboard. It's nice to be able to have the choice in the native TTS to choose between a male and female (US) voice. My older Kindle Fire only had a female voice.
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 01:01 PM   #45
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

For non human recorded audiobooks the Ivona TTS (which is what The Fires have ) is about the best there is.