Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-17-2013, 09:27 PM   #76
rdjack21
Groupie
rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elocity A7, Nook STR, Galaxy Nexus
Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
I use Firefox with Ubuntu 10.04 LTS on my Netbook. The last time I bought a book at B&N -- a couple of weeks ago, I guess -- it downloaded fine.

I don't plan to buy a new book just to test it, but I do hope this isn't a new move on their part.
Just tried again and Fire Fox is still not working for me (ArchLinux) But Chromium is working fine.
rdjack21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 01:10 AM   #77
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Section8 View Post
Sorry about that - I'll play with it again tonight. I tested it out yesterday (just before posting) and used the "alternate download" link to re-download a magazine.
It's odd. I installed it yesterday and saw it there on B&N's library page too. I specifically commented that it even put a link on the "Archive" page (so you don't have to move the book back to the active library to redownload the book).

When I checked my library today, it's not showing (as a duplicate link) on my books on the regular library page, but it is displaying still on the Archive pages.

EDITED LATER: I take it back - it shows on my main library page if download is the first button. But if the download link is the very last option (meaning that view in Nook on the Web is the first option), then I can see an Alternative Download link. So - it's working for me at the moment. (Using Firefox 14)

Last edited by FizzyWater; 06-18-2013 at 01:31 AM.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-18-2013, 08:07 AM   #78
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morganucopia View Post

As an ebook developer, it is impractical to purchase all the myriad devices out on the market for testing purposes. Does anyone know of an app or utility that would allow me to preview how my EPUB will appear on a Nook device without actually owning a Nook?

Just a WAG, but how about installing an Android development environment, and then you could install Android EPub reading apps?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 03:44 PM   #79
Morganucopia
Bookaholic
Morganucopia can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Morganucopia can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Morganucopia can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Morganucopia can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Morganucopia can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Morganucopia can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Morganucopia can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Morganucopia can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Morganucopia can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Morganucopia can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Morganucopia can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Just a WAG, but how about installing an Android development environment, and then you could install Android EPub reading apps?
Thanks John F for your kind suggestion. Unfortunately, as I'm not a programmer, I'm not quite sure how I would go about setting that up. But I can see how installing the NOOK for Android app would give me a better idea how EPUBs may appear on NOOK devices. I'll be acquiring an Android-powered tablet soon, and I'll try installing the various apps then. That would be easier for me!
Morganucopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 05:03 PM   #80
Rbneader
Fanatic
Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Quote:
Thanks John F for your kind suggestion. Unfortunately, as I'm not a programmer, I'm not quite sure how I would go about setting that up. But I can see how installing the NOOK for Android app would give me a better idea how EPUBs may appear on NOOK devices. I'll be acquiring an Android-powered tablet soon, and I'll try installing the various apps then. That would be easier for me!
You could just buy a Nook tablet. Then you'll know how they look on the device, *and* you'll have an Android tablet.
Rbneader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-18-2013, 05:03 PM   #81
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjack21 View Post
Just tried again and Fire Fox is still not working for me (ArchLinux) But Chromium is working fine.
I just bought some books at B&N, courtesy of the HarperCollins 99 cent sale, and had no trouble downloading them to my Netbook. I'm using Firefox 20.0 on Ubuntu 10.04 LTS.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:50 AM   #82
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350, Nook HD+ & HD
Quote:
I installed Nook for PC under the mistaken assumption that I could test my EPUB files under development and see how they would display on a Nook device. Unlike Sony's Reader for PC, there is no way to import your own EPUB files, which makes Nook for PC completely useless for my purposes.
I have both Nook for PC and Nook Study installed on my PC. Both allow you to import your own epubs.

In Nook for PC, click on "My Library" in the left hand pane. On the top, you should now see a button that says "Add New Item" ... click on it and you can navigate to wherever the book is on your PC and import it into the reader.

Both Nook for PC and Nook Study are also connecting properly with the B&N store now to download your books. Don't know how long that will last, but both work on my PC at the present.

--Pat
PatNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:48 AM   #83
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
B&N has restored Nook for PC and Nook for Mac to their website...
http://www.the-digital-reader.com/20.../#.UcG2jvn2bCk
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 10:23 AM   #84
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
B&N has restored Nook for PC and Nook for Mac to their website...
http://www.the-digital-reader.com/20.../#.UcG2jvn2bCk
One thing though. According to the article, nook for OS X won't run on Mountain Lion. And I have to blame Apple for making Mountain Lion not compatible.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 01:23 PM   #85
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Now if someone from the UK would report that they've also added a download button to purchases, I'd start to feel like maybe they're not moving towards forcing content online only or on their readers.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 12:07 AM   #86
Enraptured
Connoisseur
Enraptured has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Enraptured has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Enraptured has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook Touch
I read on a Nook, and this makes it very unlikely that I'll buy any more books from B&N. I've never gotten the files downloaded directly from their site to work correctly (although maybe things have changed since I've tried last), and I haven't found a way to access the B&N books on my Nook from my computer; I'd rather not buy a book only to find out that I have no way to back it up because Nook for PC doesn't work anymore.
Enraptured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 11:11 AM   #87
Prepper
Connoisseur
Prepper can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Prepper can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Prepper can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Prepper can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Prepper can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Prepper can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Prepper can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Prepper can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Prepper can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Prepper can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Prepper can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Forma
I ordered an Aura from Kobo (I'm hoping it arrives today) to replace my non-glow Nook ST and in preparation I've used the Nook for Mac app to download all my Nook book purchases to my computer. I've run them through Calibre and removed DRM and have them ready to load on the Aura as soon as I get it. Everything looks good, so I can confirm that the apps (for both PC and Mac) are still working properly, including downloads.
Prepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 12:46 PM   #88
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prepper View Post
I ordered an Aura from Kobo (I'm hoping it arrives today) to replace my non-glow Nook ST and in preparation I've used the Nook for Mac app to download all my Nook book purchases to my computer. I've run them through Calibre and removed DRM and have them ready to load on the Aura as soon as I get it. Everything looks good, so I can confirm that the apps (for both PC and Mac) are still working properly, including downloads.
Have you tried downloading without using a Nook App? You don't really need one.

Be sure and check out the process to have calibre put your books on their proper shelves. You might want to create a separate "calibre Kobo Library", if you are using calibre for several devices. That way you can manage the settings a little better. calibre has a feature that lets you move selected books between its libraries. You should also check out the "Kobo Touch Extended" plugin, by Joel Goguen.

It is also always a good idea to backup the internal memory to a folder on your PC, when you first get the device, so you have a restore point. If you are at all adventurous, you should also remove the internal uSD card and make an image of the whole card. That can be used to restore your Aura even if the firmware gets totally messed up. If you wish a larger internal memory, you can also follow the posted directions for using a larger uSD card in the Glo, (I use the tools linked to make and write the image of the uSD card.)

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 01:15 PM   #89
Prepper
Connoisseur
Prepper can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Prepper can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Prepper can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Prepper can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Prepper can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Prepper can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Prepper can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Prepper can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Prepper can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Prepper can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Prepper can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Forma
I knew you could download the books via the BN website, but wanted to test the apps to make sure they were still working since some people were "concerned."

I did download the Kobo Extended Plugin and have it installed. I haven't looked at creating shelves or anything yet. I took the time to get covers the way I wanted them and make sure the metadata was updated with series info (so I'll be able to see what's next without looking at reading orders online ) I am planning to only use the one device so don't need to keep separate libraries in Calibre.

As for the other stuff you mentioned, I probably won't upgrade the internal SD card but will make sure I back it up just in case.
Prepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:59 AM   #90
Indio777
Addict
Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Mobile Phone, Kindle (rarely), but mostly still read paper
Apps for Windows PC (not Win 8) and Mac are back.
Indio777 is offline   Reply With Quote