Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-09-2011, 10:02 AM   #1
fred_yu_job
Connoisseur
fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.

Device: kobo
New kobo touch user confused

I just bought kobo touch, setup with the newest firmware (1.9.14).

With the kobo touch attached to my windows XP desktop, I just copied the books to the root directory of the kobo.

Unplug it, after it processed whatever it need to process; my books are listed.
and I could start reading. I didn't try to organise the books becasue I don't normally read more than 3 books the same time.

Here I'm confused: why people here use Calibre to load books? any benefit?

I have a first generation kobo, for sure calibre is required on that one, but I don't see why calibre is required for kobo touch.

Last edited by fred_yu_job; 12-09-2011 at 10:13 AM.
fred_yu_job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 10:53 AM   #2
feedbakbwr
Redwood Original
feedbakbwr is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.feedbakbwr is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.feedbakbwr is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.feedbakbwr is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.feedbakbwr is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.feedbakbwr is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.feedbakbwr is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.feedbakbwr is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.feedbakbwr is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.feedbakbwr is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.feedbakbwr is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.

Device: Kobo, Kobo Wifi, Kobo Touch
Its not really required but it will organize your books as well as convert them from any format to epub for the Kobo. That is what I use it for mostly, converting and getting metadata. This way you also have a backup.
feedbakbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 01:30 PM   #3
fred_yu_job
Connoisseur
fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.

I saw many ppl are complaining about issues transfering books with Calibre...
why bring troubles with Calibre when we can simply copy books into the Kobo?!

To convert or organize books on the computer has nothing to do with the Kobo tho.
Old 12-09-2011, 01:39 PM   #4
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Fred; there are NO issues these days with calibre. Most of the complaining reports are OLD OLD ones!

One reason for using it, is the ease of managing series for instance; where calbre can massage the books title to include the series name / index in the title, and thus ensure that books are logically sorted.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 01:46 PM   #5
fred_yu_job
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Fred; there are NO issues these days with calibre. Most of the complaining reports are OLD OLD ones!
Thanks for telling me this!
Seeing all those OLD issues, I dear not connect my new Kobo to calibre so far.
Now I'll try!
Old 12-09-2011, 02:01 PM   #6
Ninjalawyer
Guru
Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nexus 7 (2013)
Calibre is very useful if you have hundreds or thousands of books.
Ninjalawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 02:49 PM   #7
Latch
Porcupine Tree fan
Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Sideloading via Explorer is dead-simple, so Calibre is only useful as a collection management tool. However, Calibre can also move books to an fro, fetch metadata and covers, and do ebook format conversion among many other functions. I'd be lost without it, but others don't use anything at all so it's just a matter of personal preference.
Latch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 02:53 PM   #8
GoingDown
Zealot
GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.

I personally have over thousand book on my library (most of them are free books from somewhere). So Calibre is really nice for organizing them. Also, Calibre includes content server which can be used as webserver for books. I am using it on home so that I can browse and download books via wifi
GoingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 03:18 PM   #9
ekster
Currently without a title
ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I like to use calibre to backup and organize my books, change the titles (especially for series, I like to use 'XX series #1: title' so they're all shown together on my Touch), change covers, and if needed, convert to epub.
ekster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 04:48 PM   #10
therealjoeblow
Zealot
therealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfolded

Device: Samsung Android Tablet w/Moon+ Pro Reader
Dead simple really -> Calibre is to ebooks as Winamp or iTunes are to music files.

If you have an MP3 player, I'm going to assume you use one of those to manage your music collection on your computer, convert formats as required (eg. aac to mp3, etc), download and add cover art and tags (album, artist info, etc) to the files, and sync your collection and playlists with your player...

Calibre does exactly the same thing with your books and ereader - it manages your collection overall, lets you convert formats and edit the books to suit your preferences, download metadata (author info, synopsis, genre, collection info) and book covers and transfer them to your reader.

I can't imagine too many people managing extensive music collections simply from Windows Explorer. Why would you do so with ebooks?

Cheers
The REAL Joe
therealjoeblow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 06:11 PM   #11
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Just wondering why you think it is great for the Kobo 1 and not for the Touch? You load books exactly the same with either one using Windows Explorer.

Last edited by The Terminator; 12-09-2011 at 07:01 PM.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 10:46 PM   #12
fred_yu_job
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Terminator View Post
Just wondering why you think it is great for the Kobo 1 and not for the Touch? You load books exactly the same with either one using Windows Explorer.
I don't think we can copy books onto Kobo 1 directly with Windows Explorer, can we?
Old 12-09-2011, 11:45 PM   #13
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Sure you can. When you connect the Kobo via USB to your computer, it appears as a drive to Windows.

You shoiuld be able to see it in Explorer and copy files to it.

To be safe though, do click on the Windows "Safely remove hardware" icon in the system tray and remove the Kobo before disconnecting the USB cable.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 05:16 PM   #14
TonyToews
Evangelist
TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
To add to PeterT's reply. Calibre is updated weekly. Many bugs reported have been fixed within several weeks. New hardware, such as the Vox, have frequently been supported within several weeks.
TonyToews is offline   Reply With Quote