Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Fictionwise eBookwise

Notices

Old 10-26-2006, 10:23 AM   #1
funkgut
funkgut began at the beginning.

Device: SONY PRS-700, GEB 1150
Help with a new GEB 1150

Hello all, new to the site so want to say hello. Now down to my problems!!

I purchased a GEB 1150 from ebay, it was brand new and sealed. I am having all sorts of trouble connecting to the eBook network. I have successfully updated my USB drivers and can connect to my computer fine. I was able through Ebpook Librarian to load a couple books on my device. The problem is that I need to update my firmware to be able to read personal content. Anytime I try to connect, to register my device, it gives me either a "Auto Connect: "

-or-

"The requested server could not be located on the Internet. This may only be temporary. Disconnecting and trying again in a few minutes may resolve the problem. If not consult your system administrator regarding "DNS Configuration""

I have went through all the troubleshooting information. Such as firewall and anti-virus issues and all is fine there.

I am completely lost as to what to do. All I am looking to do is be able to register my device and read personal content loaded through Ebook librarian.
I assume that the device is trying to find an Internet address that no longer exists (since Gemstar is out of business), but I don't know where to change the address nor do I know what the address should be. Please Help, I have this lovely device and I can't read anything.......

Thanks in advance for all that can help
funkgut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 04:58 AM   #2
Tom Swift
Addict
Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (plus lots of older devices)
I bought mine off eBay as well and also had problems with registering the device. Have you registered with eBookwise yet? I find that they will answer emails and although I never any technical issues to ask them, they were prompt.

Try to go through eBookwise and try that method. If you can download a free version of a book from their site, everything should be working for you from then on.

Actually, I have had some problems recently in downloading from their site. I have to retry the download over and over until it catches. I don't know why.

Just noticed that their site is down. That has never happened to me before. Maybe that is your problem.
Tom Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2006, 05:21 PM   #3
BuddyBoy
eBookin' Fool
BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, KK, iPad (Ex Prs 505, 500, Reb1100-2150, Rocket)
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkgut
Hello all, new to the site so want to say hello. Now down to my problems!!

I purchased a GEB 1150 from ebay, it was brand new and sealed. I am having all sorts of trouble connecting to the eBook network. I have successfully updated my USB drivers and can connect to my computer fine. I was able through Ebpook Librarian to load a couple books on my device. The problem is that I need to update my firmware to be able to read personal content. Anytime I try to connect, to register my device, it gives me either a "Auto Connect: "

-or-

"The requested server could not be located on the Internet. This may only be temporary. Disconnecting and trying again in a few minutes may resolve the problem. If not consult your system administrator regarding "DNS Configuration""

I have went through all the troubleshooting information. Such as firewall and anti-virus issues and all is fine there.

I am completely lost as to what to do. All I am looking to do is be able to register my device and read personal content loaded through Ebook librarian.
I assume that the device is trying to find an Internet address that no longer exists (since Gemstar is out of business), but I don't know where to change the address nor do I know what the address should be. Please Help, I have this lovely device and I can't read anything.......

Thanks in advance for all that can help
Funkgut, I am so sorry, but it soulds like you have an original GEB 1150 and not an eBookwise 1150. The GEB units rely on Gemstar's ebook servers which were taken off line in August. All Gemstar owners were given three years notice and in the last two months it was possible to connect to the network and download a firmware upgrade that made the units eBookwise compliant.

ETI, the holders of the Gemstar rights and manufacturer of the eBookwise 1150 may still be offering a method to flash your firmware - you'll need to contact them. Here's is a link to their Migration page: http://www.ebooktechnologies.com/migration.htm
BuddyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 01:08 AM   #4
funkgut
funkgut began at the beginning.

Device: SONY PRS-700, GEB 1150
Thank you for your responses. I actually emailed ebooktechnologies. They sent an immediate email telling me that I have to update firmware. Since I bought the item off of ebay I didn't have a Smart Media card and a PC reader. Apparently according to the email you can no longer upgrade via the server. The person sent me the files to upgrade. So I am now waiting for my Smart card and reader to come to see if this works. I will keep you updated.
funkgut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 07:42 AM   #5
Jaapjan
Avid reader
Jaapjan doesn't litterJaapjan doesn't litter

Device: HTC Touch Diamond, iLiad Book Edition
Could you send those files to me as well?
Jaapjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2006, 11:54 PM   #6
Flatline
Flatline began at the beginning.

Device: GEB 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaapjan
Could you send those files to me as well?
They are actually downloadable from the page listed above. Here is a direct link:

http://www.ebooktechnologies.com/dow...iles4.2f15.zip

Note, it seems to be a higher version number than the firmware I got when I did the migration on my GEB 1150 a few months ago. Gonna try updating it again and see if there's any difference hehe...
Flatline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 06:59 PM   #7
marypinchesme
marypinchesme began at the beginning.

Device: gemstar 1150
Me to, got one from ebay, what is this card called, is mb meaning mac based or is mb just maga bites, trying to find one on line and not sure how it would be listed as needing a mac based I guess ? I am such a girl.
marypinchesme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 09:41 PM   #8
shighfield
Groupie!? GROUPIE!?!?
shighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enough

Device: EBW 1150, Kobo Touch
You need a 64 mega byte Smart Media card. You will probably need to order one online somewhere as they are no longer made.
shighfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 11:48 PM   #9
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by shighfield View Post
You need a 64 mega byte Smart Media card. You will probably need to order one online somewhere as they are no longer made.
Actually if you are going to buy a card you might want to go to 128 Meg, which is the biggest that was made. J&R still has new ones and there is also eBay.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 02:45 PM   #10
godelocs
godelocs began at the beginning.

Device: ebookwise 1150
hi all. i just received my ebookwise 1150 yesterday and have been trouble shooting it every since. i was able to register it online and i purchased one book to test the download process. although the book was supposed to already be formatted as an imp file when i downloaded it to my 1150 the pages are too large for the reader. does anyone know how to change the settings of the page size so that the page shows up correctly on the reader. i already tried changing the font size to small but that did not work.

also for some reason when i tried to download the purchased book onto the reader it would not connect to the internet through my pc. i then hooked it to the phone line and was able to download it to the reader that way but it took about 20-30 minutes. sure hope that was a toll free number because i only have basic service on my home phone and have to pay per minute for long distance. someone please tell me that it is at least not an overseas number. that would really suck.
godelocs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 02:55 PM   #11
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by godelocs View Post
hi all. i just received my ebookwise 1150 yesterday and have been trouble shooting it every since. i was able to register it online and i purchased one book to test the download process. although the book was supposed to already be formatted as an imp file when i downloaded it to my 1150 the pages are too large for the reader. does anyone know how to change the settings of the page size so that the page shows up correctly on the reader. i already tried changing the font size to small but that did not work.

There are two IMP files. You have to get the correct one for an 1150, the other is for a 1200. Generally both will be available and you just pick the one you need.

Dale
Old 05-09-2009, 03:52 PM   #12
shighfield
Groupie!? GROUPIE!?!?
shighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enough

Device: EBW 1150, Kobo Touch
OEBFF Half VGA(Imp) if purchasing from FIctionwise.
shighfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 06:08 PM   #13
250 Coupe
Groupie
250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch

Device: Many ebook readers at my house
You will need the USB driver installed and running for the USB connection to work.

You can find it here,
http://www.ebooktechnologies.com/sup...r_download.htm

Don't worry about it being for an ETI2, if you look at the label on the back of your reader, you'll find it's actually an ETI2.

Michael
250 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 08:38 PM   #14
marypinchesme
marypinchesme began at the beginning.

Device: gemstar 1150
I need help finding a pc/mac based smart media card to migrate to ebookwise , if you find one let me know where to buy one?
marypinchesme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 09:33 PM   #15
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by marypinchesme View Post
I need help finding a pc/mac based smart media card to migrate to ebookwise , if you find one let me know where to buy one?
A card reader or the card itself? Try J&R http://www.jr.com or eBay.

Dale