Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-30-2012, 11:01 AM   #91
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysJeepMan View Post
I'm pleasantly surprised and quite impressed at both Amazon and B&N upping the ante in this next round of devices.

I would've held off buying a Fire HD to wait for B&N's offerings to be announced except that the local B&N store closed down 8 months ago. I loved the in-store perks for those with nooks.
I have one I can walk to and two others within ten miles. I cannot wait for them to put these new ones on display to look into.
robertc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 12:09 PM   #92
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Yeah, I really want B&N to stay afloat and succeed, but they need to improve their online content, not only ebooks, but Android apps.

Users are smart and they now realize that hardware specs its just half of the story. Ability to find and download content is the other half.

Something you can't do with Amazon is socialize, visit the store, use their wifi and get advantage of free content on your device. It's the positive side of having a physical store. Internet can't replace that human touch and interaction.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2012, 12:02 PM   #93
bfollowell
Fanatic
bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Nook & Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5
My wife and I both love the looks and price of the 32GB HD+ and we're both drooling over them, I think we're going to pass this time around though. We just got into e-readers when we got each other Kindle 3s for Christmas 2010. Christmas 2011 she gave me a 16 GB Nook Tablet. She liked it so much that we picked one up for her a couple of months later. Now here we are again, right around Christmas time, with new electronic toys to drool over. Our NTs are still in great shape and, other than a few simple games, we really use them more as readers than tablets and we're concerned the 9" screen might be a little large for reading. Also, most of the multimedia features are wasted on us. We can't get real, wired high-speed Internet where we live and have Hughesnet, unfortunately. We don't do a lot of videos and you can forget Hulu and Netflix.

Hopefully, we'll be in a part of town where we can get broadband by next Christmas, right in time to look at the fourth generation Nook HD+ Plus. It would probably be better to skip a generation anyway. Heck, we can't have them all!

Like many others, we would definitely want to wait until we see if they could be rooted or not. I definitely wouldn't buy a B&N device that is crippled by being shackled only to their online store. I'm sure someone will figure out a way to root them all eventually though.

Good luck to those that purchase these. I'm sure you'll love them and I know of at least two individuals that will be very envious.

- Byron
bfollowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:59 PM   #94
megthered
Connoisseur
megthered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.megthered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.megthered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.megthered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.megthered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.megthered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.megthered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.megthered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.megthered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.megthered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.megthered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 10.1, Galaxy Note 8.0, Nook HD
I just bought the Galaxy Note 10.1, the larger tablet and really love it. I have designated my notebook computer as my desktop because it was really too big to carry around, so I needed something smaller. My Nook tablet was just too small, but a 9 in with the HD screen would have been perfect for me . It's ok though, my Nook tablet went to my son in college who had a Nook 1st gen, I got the Galaxy 10.1 and now will probably get the Nook HD, if I can talk my husband into another toy. Maybe for Christmas.
megthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 07:38 PM   #95
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

When these do come in at B&N stores for demo, what available video is on the web that would show off picture quality the best for these tablets??????
Advert
Old 10-14-2012, 12:38 AM   #96
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertc88 View Post
When these do come in at B&N stores for demo, what available video is on the web that would show off picture quality the best for these tablets??????
I think you'll have to use youtube for that. There are 1080p videos that should do the trick; I would choose some of the BBC documentaries, like "BBC Natural World" or any by David Attenborough.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 08:47 AM   #97
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Check here:
http://www.demo-world.eu/trailers/hi...n-trailers.php
It exists for precisely that; the THX ones should do the trick.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 10:45 AM   #98
robertc88
Fanatic

I do currently utilize you tube for 1080p material. If there isn't any higher resolution, why do manufacturers make displays more capable?

I have some blurays that include ultraviolet which the new nook supports. What resolution would one watch those in with the new nook?
Old 10-14-2012, 07:51 PM   #99
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I do currently utilize you tube for 1080p material. If there isn't any higher resolution, why do manufacturers make displays more capable?

I have some blurays that include ultraviolet which the new nook supports. What resolution would one watch those in with the new nook?
That will depend on the file the studio makes available: Ultraviolet files can be SD as well as HD.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UltraVi...rmat_.28CFF.29

One thing to consider when talking internet and streaming video: high resolution is no guarantee of quality video because the files will be compressed with lossy algorithms and quality will depend on the compression rate and the source material quality and *type*. (I.E., Talking head movies will tolerate higher compression better than SFX-heavy action flicks.)
Old 10-14-2012, 09:57 PM   #100
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
That will depend on the file the studio makes available: Ultraviolet files can be SD as well as HD.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UltraVi...rmat_.28CFF.29

One thing to consider when talking internet and streaming video: high resolution is no guarantee of quality video because the files will be compressed with lossy algorithms and quality will depend on the compression rate and the source material quality and *type*. (I.E., Talking head movies will tolerate higher compression better than SFX-heavy action flicks.)
Indeed. Also highly compressed videos are more CPU demanding than lightly compressed ones, so are more prone to cause dropped frames and other artefacts.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 04:06 PM   #101
robertc88
Fanatic

With about what I figured from Apple for the mini, I will not even bother trying it. More anxious now for the Nook entries.
Old 10-23-2012, 05:13 PM   #102
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Quote:
With about what I figured from Apple for the mini, I will not even bother trying it. More anxious now for the Nook entries.
Yep, I'm just hoping there will be developer interest to get CyanogenMod on there. Right now, everyone is expecting the HDs to have locked bootloaders, which would be a significant hurdle.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:37 PM   #103
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by taosaur View Post
Yep, I'm just hoping there will be developer interest to get CyanogenMod on there. Right now, everyone is expecting the HDs to have locked bootloaders, which would be a significant hurdle.
I'm a tad less demanding myself.
If B&N would simply let me sideload apks without hacking(like Amazon does) I'd be buying the HD+ on release day.
Otherwise, I'll go with the FireHD9 or the Nexus10.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:34 PM   #104
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
I'm a tad less demanding myself.
If B&N would simply let me sideload apks without hacking(like Amazon does) I'd be buying the HD+ on release day.
It'd be great if they'd do that, but considering the Nook Tab could do that and they patched it to take away that ability I doubt it'll happen.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:37 PM   #105
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
It'd be great if they'd do that, but considering the Nook Tab could do that and they patched it to take away that ability I doubt it'll happen.
It's been a year. Maybe they've learned their lesson...