Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-14-2013, 07:59 AM   #1876
Jdschi
Connoisseur
Jdschi is far more humble than you.Jdschi is far more humble than you.Jdschi is far more humble than you.Jdschi is far more humble than you.Jdschi is far more humble than you.Jdschi is far more humble than you.Jdschi is far more humble than you.Jdschi is far more humble than you.Jdschi is far more humble than you.Jdschi is far more humble than you.Jdschi is far more humble than you.

Device: Nexus 7.2, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
The current Kobo unlimited use 50% off coupon (Sept50) was worth waiting for. 11 books by favourite authors for under $3 per book on average.
Or... not? I splurged on Kobo and I really shouldn't have and now I think I should get even more
That makes 12 books bought this week... but my average is much higher than yours, sigh.
I've been waiting to replace my german version of the Deverry cycle with ebooks, but those are 15 books... but with 50% off, restraint is hard! But since I already read them, it does not make that much sense to get them... yet. So I only got 4 of those. There will always be another sale, there will always be another sale...
I did get most of my "seriously need to be bought" books, though, which is really nice.
Now off to
Jdschi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 10:39 AM   #1877
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Bob View Post
I didn't get off that light, even without factoring in the Pottermore set. I've got 17 so far, including two rebuys, and some Star Wars stuff is still calling to me at about $4 each.

Yep, my Kobo's gonna top 500 books reeeeal soon now.
I'm rather surprised to find that my bought kobo total is only at 34. But over half of those are in the past two months. I think it's the recent spate of high discount coupons. My average ebook cost from Kobo is $2.88!
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2013, 10:44 AM   #1878
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdschi View Post
've been waiting to replace my german version of the Deverry cycle with ebooks, but those are 15 books... but with 50% off, restraint is hard! But since I already read them, it does not make that much sense to get them... yet.
That's a hard call.

I have just bought two books I've already read, but that's because they're part of a series, and when I first got the series, these two weren't available to buy as ebooks. I read them as ebooks anyway, but when that happens I feel obliged to buy the ebook when it eventually gets released. They're the two most expensive ebooks I bought this time around - $5.49 each (& that's at 50% off)!

I'm glad I didn't notice they'd become available before, as at least the 50% off made them only expensive, not outrageous.
Old 09-14-2013, 10:55 AM   #1879
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
Luckily, of the few I've checked from my amazon wishlists so far, the regular kobo price is so much more than the amazon price that even with 50% off it's only a minor saving, so I haven't bothered yet.

(Mind you, I did take two books to donate to charity today and come back with three.)
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 11:47 AM   #1880
Crusader
Space Cadet
Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Cybook Opus, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
Luckily, of the few I've checked from my amazon wishlists so far, the regular kobo price is so much more than the amazon price that even with 50% off it's only a minor saving, so I haven't bothered yet.

(Mind you, I did take two books to donate to charity today and come back with three.)
Really? It must be a region thing. I generally find that Kobo is far cheaper than Amazon.
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2013, 01:37 PM   #1881
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
Really? It must be a region thing. I generally find that Kobo is far cheaper than Amazon.
Amazon's been quietly bringing back their 25% discount, but on ebooks instead of mass-market paperbacks. Given that, 50% off of "full digital retail" is less impressive - but it's still a better deal than I'll get anywhere else!
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 02:05 PM   #1882
wawasteele
Addict
wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 1st PW, Sansa Clip Zip, Samsungs: GT 7.0 Plus, Note4, GT 4 10.1"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
Where do you live? My friend in Canada finds that often Kobo is cheaper than Amazon. I live in the USA and find the opposite.

With this sale, so far not one of the books I have searched for have been able to accept a coupon. I had her search for the same books and in Canada, the books could accept a coupon.
wawasteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 05:38 PM   #1883
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I typically assume that if kobo are cheaper amazon will price-match, so kobo will never be cheaper for long (without a coupon). It's not always true; the last book I bought from kobo was already quite a bit cheaper before I added the discount, but on the particular books from my wishlist I checked today, amazon had a substantial advantage. The kobo code does make them cheaper there, but it doesn't move them into a whole new impulse-buy price bracket.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 10:31 PM   #1884
gabby98
Wizard
gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android, Nook Simple Touch, Nook Color, ..., Glo
Quote:
The current Kobo unlimited use 50% off coupon (Sept50) was worth waiting for. 11 books by favourite authors for under $3 per book on average.

[Edit: make that 12 books. 14 if you count the two I got yesterday as well.]
Yea, thanks to Kobo I'm fighting the urge to purchase 6/7 or my WL books...but if I think about what it comes out to per book I may not be able to fight it long
gabby98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 05:11 AM   #1885
Jdschi
Connoisseur
Jdschi is far more humble than you.Jdschi is far more humble than you.Jdschi is far more humble than you.Jdschi is far more humble than you.Jdschi is far more humble than you.Jdschi is far more humble than you.Jdschi is far more humble than you.Jdschi is far more humble than you.Jdschi is far more humble than you.Jdschi is far more humble than you.Jdschi is far more humble than you.

Device: Nexus 7.2, PW2
Quote:

It's the same with the German amazon and kobo - kobo prices are around 30% higher than amazon, but I thought that kobo did this on purpose because they expect you to use a coupon... So with a 50% off coupon the saving usually was around 2$ compared to amazon but since I bought 10 books that's still 20$
Jdschi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 12:20 PM   #1886
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
That's a hard call.

I have just bought two books I've already read, but that's because they're part of a series, and when I first got the series, these two weren't available to buy as ebooks. I read them as ebooks anyway, but when that happens I feel obliged to buy the ebook when it eventually gets released. They're the two most expensive ebooks I bought this time around - $5.49 each (& that's at 50% off)!

I'm glad I didn't notice they'd become available before, as at least the 50% off made them only expensive, not outrageous.
Yes, I've had to buy a couple recently for the same reason. Sadly, neither was "on sale", nor did I have a decent Kobo coupon at the time. Sigh. Ah, well. The price of my own conscience.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 01:16 PM   #1887
Crusader
Space Cadet
Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Cybook Opus, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawasteele View Post
Where do you live? My friend in Canada finds that often Kobo is cheaper than Amazon. I live in the USA and find the opposite.

With this sale, so far not one of the books I have searched for have been able to accept a coupon. I had her search for the same books and in Canada, the books could accept a coupon.
South Africa. Amazon still charges that $2 'digital delivery fee' so I guess that makes quite a difference in the pricing.
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 01:17 PM   #1888
dandelioncottage
Abibliophobe
dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 2 64 gb, Nook Glowlight, iPad 4 (128 gb)
Oops!--answered in another forum.
dandelioncottage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 02:13 PM   #1889
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
I used the Kobo 50% off coupon for 13 books, all on my wish list, for $53.40 ($4.11 each, including tax). None are available digitally at the library and I want to read them all right away. This thread saved me money by encouraging me to place books on a wish list and wait for a good deal. So I am happy and consider it money well spent.
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 02:54 PM   #1890
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelleZora View Post
I used the Kobo 50% off coupon for 13 books, all on my wish list, for $53.40 ($4.11 each, including tax). None are available digitally at the library and I want to read them all right away. This thread saved me money by encouraging me to place books on a wish list and wait for a good deal. So I am happy and consider it money well spent.
Hooray! A success story.

Because, of course, if we didn't buy any more books at all, we'd (eventually) run of of books to read.

But by keeping control of our purchases, and following the rules we've come up with in this thread, we end up with good books to read, and spend less money.