Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-09-2010, 03:39 AM   #1
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Your #1 Fiction read after 1901 (NO Sci-fi or Fantasy)

I would like to read outside my norm.

I have a good idea of what is available in the Fantasy and Sci-Fi areas, excluding these two areas what work of fiction would you recommend written after 1901.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 04:21 AM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
what work of fiction would you recommend written after 1901.
Only one? Much too hard. How about three, spread across the last century?

Kim, by Rudyard Kipling. Available in a nice edition I put together, here on Mobileread. First published in 1901.

Mr. Midshipman Hornblower by C. S. Forester. Unfortunately not yet available as an ebook. First published in 1950.

The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency by Alexander McCall Smith. First published in 1998.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2010, 04:33 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You have pretty much the whole genre of detective fiction open to you: Agatha Christie, Dorothy L. Sayers, etc. Far too much to be able to make any single recommendation.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 04:36 AM   #4
Guns4Hire
Reading...Since 1970
Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Nova Air C, Nova Pro, LifebookMars, BoyueT62+ Glowlight, NST, PB360
Ill second Rudyard Kipling with Captains Courageous. Figured 1897 was close enough to 1901. But I haven't as of yet found a really good epub of it. Still looking. I have a 3/4 that I haven't looked at yet. So when I do and if they cut the mustard Ill post it here.

This one is very nice with a nice cover. Done by Infogrid Pacific. Even has a table of contents which a lot of them don't. Which bums me out. Its 3/4 way down the page. They also have PDF but I didn't look at it. I prefer epub.
http://www.infogridpacific.com/igp/A...d%20Resources/

So I looked at 6 of them in epub format. And a few didn't open. 3 looked ok. But the one I posted above was easily the best.

Hope you enjoy it.

Last edited by Guns4Hire; 01-09-2010 at 05:02 AM.
Guns4Hire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 05:09 AM   #5
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
I would like to read outside my norm.

I have a good idea of what is available in the Fantasy and Sci-Fi areas, excluding these two areas what work of fiction would you recommend written after 1901.
That's, uh, quite a wide field you're left with :P Do you like literary/intellectual writing, historical, very modern or closer to 1900? Social realism or the more fantastic, or crime/mystery, humour?

Something that is probably quite outside what you normally read - and a bit of a page-turner, is "Fingersmith" by Sarah Waters.

I can't say I have one no. 1 read - it all depends on mood - and as I have discovered, my taste has developed quite a bit over the last 20 years.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2010, 05:11 AM   #6
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
'The Grapes of Wrath' by John Steinbeck

Of course, there are loads of great 20th century books by heaps of great authors, and I've only read a fraction of them - but GoW is the one that knocked my socks off the furthest (28.4m if you're interested).
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 05:19 AM   #7
mbagsh55
Enthusiast
mbagsh55 doesn't littermbagsh55 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-700/Zaurus SL-3100
I agree that the mystery and thriller section is where you should focus. I am not much of an Agatha Cristie man, but I love pretty much anything by Tony Hillerman (RIP).

Probably "Talking God" would be the one non SF/Fantasy book I would choose if I was sent to a desert island with only the one book.
mbagsh55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 05:42 AM   #8
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thomas Mann
Umberto Eco
Old 01-09-2010, 06:48 AM   #9
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post

Of course, there are loads of great 20th century books by heaps of great authors, and I've only read a fraction of them - but GoW is the one that knocked my socks off the furthest (28.4m if you're interested).
++++

kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 06:51 AM   #10
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
I can't name just one but...

The World according to Garp - John Irving or
Last Night in Twisted River

The Road - Cormac McCarthy or
No Country for Old Men

The Sun Also Rises - Hemingway

Dinner at the Homesick Restaurant - Anne Tyler
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 07:22 AM   #11
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
If you liked Sherlock Holmes stories, nearly all Dr. Thorndyke ones (more scientific than Holmes) are available here.

I think lots of Edgar Rice burroughs books (Tarzan/John Carter) are here as well.
Krystian Galaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 07:23 AM   #12
Ea
Wizard

Joseph and his brothers by Thomas Mann
Old 01-09-2010, 08:31 AM   #13
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
That's, uh, quite a wide field you're left with :P Do you like literary/intellectual writing, historical, very modern or closer to 1900? Social realism or the more fantastic, or crime/mystery, humour?
I have read a few crime/mystery novels. I am just looking for a few books in areas that are new to me. So any suggested book or two or three will give me some food for thought.
Old 01-09-2010, 08:34 AM   #14
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You have pretty much the whole genre of detective fiction open to you: Agatha Christie, Dorothy L. Sayers, etc. Far too much to be able to make any single recommendation.
Thanks for the input, but I am looking for any specific book or books that pop out at you. I am not looking for an author or authors.
Old 01-09-2010, 08:46 AM   #15
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Only one? Much too hard. How about three, spread across the last century?

Kim, by Rudyard Kipling. Available in a nice edition I put together, here on Mobileread. First published in 1901.

Mr. Midshipman Hornblower by C. S. Forester. Unfortunately not yet available as an ebook. First published in 1950.

The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency by Alexander McCall Smith. First published in 1998.
Excellent, thanks for the input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guns4Hire View Post
Ill second Rudyard Kipling with Captains Courageous. Figured 1897 was close enough to 1901.
Thanks

Quote:
"Fingersmith" by Sarah Waters.
Nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
More food for thought. Thanks for the suggestion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbagsh55 View Post
"Talking God" by Tony Hillerman (RIP) would be the one non SF/Fantasy book I would choose if I was sent to a desert island with only the one book.
I'll be checking these out later tonight. Thanks for playing, it sounds promising.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
The World according to Garp - John Irving or
Last Night in Twisted River

The Road - Cormac McCarthy or
No Country for Old Men

The Sun Also Rises - Hemingway

Dinner at the Homesick Restaurant - Anne Tyler
A nice selection outside of my usual haunts, thanks for the feedback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krystian Galaj View Post
If you liked Sherlock Holmes stories, nearly all Dr. Thorndyke ones (more scientific than Holmes) are available here.

I think lots of Edgar Rice burroughs books (Tarzan/John Carter) are here as well.
I downloaded these but wasn't sure how they would fare. Thanks for the input.

Quote:
Thank to all who have suggested books so far.