Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-17-2009, 09:34 AM   #1
Stacey34
Connoisseur
Stacey34 doesn't litterStacey34 doesn't litter

Device: Sony 505 (Red)
I got my 505 yesterday!

First off let me just say that I LOVE my 505! I mean I am hooked!
I did not end up ordering it from B & H tho. I appreciate all the feedback about their store I may use them in the future.
I will try to tell my story in a short version.
I went to the Sony Style store on Sunday and purchased a red 505. I didn't open the box because of their 15% restocking fee. I wanted to be sure I was going to keep it. Spending that much money made me nervous. On the way home I posted on here about B & H photo and video to get some info about them since they were selling it cheaper than I had just paid for one. (I know I should have done my homework before buying one not after! lol)
I decided that I was going back yesterday to return the one to the store and order online. I explained to the salesperson that I had changed my mind and was returning it. I said it just cost too much and sadly I was returning it. (I left out the part that I was ordering it online!) She said we just had a red one returned would you be interested in it, I said how much will be taken off since it was in an open box item. She said I could get it for $179 plus tax! I of course wanted to know how long the other person had it and she showed me that it was out for 3 days. It looks brand new which I guess in a way it still is. Yes, it is a final purchase. I cannot return it for any reason but I did purchase the additional warranty for it, which covers anything. So for a little over $200 I got the 505 and a 2 year (any accident) warranty. I have never purchased anything in this manner before and I am hoping I didn't make a big mistake but I am happy with my purchase. I read my first book last night. 338 pages and I LOVED every minute of it.
Thank you all for all your help!
Stacey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 09:37 AM   #2
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Hooray!!! What did you read?
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2009, 09:38 AM   #3
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Congrats!!!!! That's awesome! I'm sure it's fine Smart move with the warranty.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 09:55 AM   #4
Stacey34
Connoisseur

Baby Bonanza. One of the romance novels from the free list for this month. I'm a sucker for a cheesy romance story! I've decided I want to expand my reading tho. I want to try some mysteries and I'm not really sure what else. Any ideas for me?
Old 02-17-2009, 09:59 AM   #5
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacey34 View Post
Baby Bonanza. One of the romance novels from the free list for this month. I'm a sucker for a cheesy romance story! I've decided I want to expand my reading tho. I want to try some mysteries and I'm not really sure what else. Any ideas for me?
Right now I'm hooked on Jim Butcher's Dresden Files series. First book is "Storm Front." If you want to get an idea of what it is like, check out the TV episodes on hulu.com. Good show, great books.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2009, 10:03 AM   #6
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
I just finished "The Idiot Girl and the Flaming Tantrum of Death" to anyone who asks. It is pants-peeing funny! Free at the Sony store.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 10:18 AM   #7
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
I have never purchased anything in this manner before and I am hoping I didn't make a big mistake but I am happy with my purchase.
No mistake in taking up the store's offer, especially since you were able to get the extended warranty. Essentially the store (and Sony) are saying there is nothing to worry about, because if there was, they'd be hesitant to sell you the warranty.

So, sit back, read, and enjoy. Nothing like a good book to make time go by pleasantly.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 10:30 AM   #8
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
Stacey34, I see you're from Ohio, Clevnet library has one of the best ebook libraries for romance readers. Most of them are Abode format, which your reader reads.
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 10:32 AM   #9
pcmedic
Enthusiast
pcmedic began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505
Glad to hear that you like it. My red one should be here Thursday.

David S.
pcmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 10:37 AM   #10
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
I just finished "The Idiot Girl and the Flaming Tantrum of Death" to anyone who asks. It is pants-peeing funny! Free at the Sony store.
Her book was really good. I was skeptical before starting to read but really enjoyed it.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 10:41 AM   #11
Stacey34
Connoisseur

Lilly,
Is that something you can do online? I guess I mean do you have to physically go into the library? I called our local library and they do not deal with e-books and they don't forsee ever doing it. My loss I guess.
Thanks
Old 02-17-2009, 10:54 AM   #12
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
Quote:
Lilly,
Is that something you can do online? I guess I mean do you have to physically go into the library? I called our local library and they do not deal with e-books and they don't forsee ever doing it. My loss I guess.
Thanks
You might have to get the library card in person but after that it's all online. You need the library card number and a 4 digit pin. You sign in your account using both from your computer. You also need the Abode Digital Reader Software. You just add the books you want to cart and then when you ready you check out, and all the books are download into the Abode Digital Software. Just connect your reader and it shows up like in the Sony Reader software. You drag your books to the reader the same way.

It's made up of 30 libraries in Ohio, here is the link for you:
http://dlc.clevnet.org/FC2EB2D7-4E63...en/Default.htm

Last edited by Lilly; 02-17-2009 at 10:59 AM.
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 10:56 AM   #13
AbFabGab
Gadget-Luster
AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Samsung Galaxy Tab S2
Quote:
Lilly,
Thanks
Stacey,

Check out:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/EBook_Lending_Libraries

Look under Ohio for Clevnet and other Ohio libraries.

Some libraries allow online registration, others want you to
register in person showing ID.

There are also many libraries that offer out-of-state cards
for an annual fee ($30 to $100 range).
AbFabGab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 12:24 PM   #14
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
I got my Sony at a similar good (and pure luck) price. I agonized over which eBook reader to get for months. Almost got the Sony 500 but demurred. Then the 505 came out and, since I didn't get a gift certificate for X'mas (great shirts instead), I decided I was going to buy myself the 505.

So, I marched into the Sony Style Store ready to pay full price when the clerk told me they had three window displays on sale at 40% off. So I got mine for $170 plus tax and have been delighted with it ever since.

I just read 'The Surgeon' by Tess Gerritson, a freebie on Sony, and liked it. Good mystery
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 01:17 PM   #15
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
I want to try some mysteries and I'm not really sure what else. Any ideas for me?
One of the Mobileread Book Club selections a few months ago was The Hound of the Baskervilles. A Sherlock Homes story by Author Conan Doyle. I would highly recommend it.

It is available for free in our d/l section. It is in the Sherlock Holmes Omnibus uploaded by our own HarryT.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote