Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-11-2013, 03:44 AM   #1
marcl
Enthusiast
marcl began at the beginning.

Device: Iriver Story HD (FW 1.13), Kobo Glo (FW 2.8.1), Kindle PW2 (FW 5.40)
Generate same page numbers for epub und mobi/azw

I want to read (sideloaded) books (epub) with Amazon Kindle Paperwhite and beside with my android smartphone for example with the Aldiko Reader. To do so I want to jump to the actual position (page). I don't want to use the Amazon Whyspersync but I know it works also for sideloaded documents.

With Kobo Readers there are no problemls because they count with the ADE method and for example the Aldiko Reader App the same.

Is it possible to generate the same page numbers for the mobi/azw as for the epub or is there a android reading app which interprates the "page map" same as the kindle or any other solution?

Effect should be: Same page numbering in Kindle PW and Android Reading App.

Last edited by marcl; 10-11-2013 at 03:51 AM.
marcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 06:10 AM   #2
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
No, I don't think it is possible. At least not using only calibre and an epub reader app. By manually inserting forced pagebreaks in the epub, while using the Kindle pagebrakes as reference, it would be possible, but most likely that is not what you are after.
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2013, 06:22 AM   #3
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I use Moon+ (pro) to read. It supports syncing reading positions across devices.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 06:38 AM   #4
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

As do Mantano, if you pay for the add on cloud feature. But it only syncs with other devices that also has Mantano installed. Not with the Kindle Reader app.
Old 10-11-2013, 07:50 AM   #5
marcl
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
I use Moon+ (pro) to read. It supports syncing reading positions across devices.
Is it possible to sync with that method to the Kindle?
Advert
Old 10-11-2013, 08:17 AM   #6
Adoby
Handy Elephant

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcl View Post
Is it possible to sync with that method to the Kindle?
No. Not to the Kindle reading app.
Old 10-11-2013, 08:53 AM   #7
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adoby View Post
No. Not to the Kindle reading app.
As far as I can tell, the kindle reading app on the paperwhite does not support epub. Thus the OP will either need to use mobi on the PW and epub everywhere else, or (somehow) get an epub reader for the PW. The latter option seems difficult, as Amazon has blocked most if not all of the epub reader apps from the kindle section of their app store.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 09:39 AM   #8
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
To do so I want to jump to the actual position (page). I don't want to use the Amazon Whyspersync but I know it works also for sideloaded documents.
Quote:
Effect should be: Same page numbering in Kindle PW and Android Reading App.
AFAIK what you want can't be done using two different formats & reading platforms. You can of course use the Kindle app on your phone and jump to the same location using the same file you're using on the Paperwhite (not sure about page numbers, but locations will work).
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 01:04 PM   #9
marcl
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
AFAIK what you want can't be done using two different formats & reading platforms. You can of course use the Kindle app on your phone and jump to the same location using the same file you're using on the Paperwhite (not sure about page numbers, but locations will work).
Ok what should work I think is: Convert source Epub into a mobi/azw (Calibre) and transfer this file to the Kindle PW and to the Kindle Android App directory on my phone. Then jump to location/page. I think Kindle Android App will not automatically sync this file to the Amazon cloud!? Otherwise I can block the Amazon Android App to go online or switch into flight mode. Don't want Amazon to monitor every page I read.
Old 10-12-2013, 08:54 PM   #10
Adoby
Handy Elephant

Not sure if that will work either. I seem to recall that mobi sets pages based on the number of bytes in the data. That is including text and tags and stuff that isn't visible. After you convert a few times you may end up with the same text, but the tags and other stuff may be different. And the page breaks slightly different.

But just try it. It might work.
Old 10-14-2013, 02:26 AM   #11
marcl
Enthusiast

I tried and it worked fine with a Kindle 4 and the Kindle Android App: Convert a Epub with Calibre in azw3 and copy this file to the Kindle and the Kindle Android App. Both show the same number of locations und I can jump to the same position with a spezific location number. The Kindle Android App also worked offline and only says that it can't sync.

Seems that Calibre don't generate page numbers in azw3!?
Old 10-14-2013, 07:34 AM   #12
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Calibre does not generate page numbers for any output format except for PDF.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 08:06 AM   #13
Adoby
Handy Elephant

Quote:
I tried and it worked fine with a Kindle 4 and the Kindle Android App: Convert a Epub with Calibre in azw3 and copy this file to the Kindle and the Kindle Android App. Both show the same number of locations und I can jump to the same position with a spezific location number. The Kindle Android App also worked offline and only says that it can't sync.

I suspect that the page breaks are slightly different from the original book. But perhaps that doesn't matter?