Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-22-2013, 02:20 AM   #391
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmilica View Post
In all the reviews so far, on the photos the text of the books in Aura always appears not justified. Or am I wrong?
You can choose your justification settings in the font modification dialogue.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:24 AM   #392
jmilica
Banned
jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KB, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
You can choose your justification settings in the font modification dialogue.
Then I don't understand why they didn't do it prior to reviews since on the comparison with Kindle PW the books on Kindle are shown justified and on Aura are not. Doesn't really give a nice impression...
jmilica is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-22-2013, 03:48 AM   #393
BadBilly
Nodding at stupid things
BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, OnePlus 6, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e, iPad Mini 2, PC
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
I used a Visa from Chase. My husband uses this often in Canada, and always gets a foreign transaction fee when buying his morning coffee & donut. Perhaps the FTF will show up in a few days.
Based on my years working with Visa cards for a major Canadian bank (which I don't do now and my answer is in a personal capacity), I've not heard of a foreign transaction fee. There is a foreign currency transaction fee. If you use a card denominated in one currency to buy something in another currency, there is a conversion of currencies and, just like changing cash at a moneychanger, you're going to pay a service fee. The official Visa exchange rate is usually pretty fair, but most issuing banks charge a fee for these transactions.

Kobo undoubtedly has a merchant account in the USA, denominated in US dollars, allowing them to process US credit cards without any foreign exchange fees, just as Amazon processes my purchases from its Canadian store in Canadian dollars and I don't pay a foreign currency transaction fee.
BadBilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:39 AM   #394
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestidigitweeze View Post
A clear mismatch, Don, were it not for the fact the Espresso case is forthcoming. Some people on this thread have said that Kobo sold out of it on the first day the Aura became available; [/URL]
I would imagine that some folks who bought the white Aura (not that they call it white) also bought the espresso cover. I had one in my cart, initially, but decided to hold off on the cover and get one locally after payday .
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:22 AM   #395
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestidigitweeze View Post

I'm glad someone understands that that's one of the two most important product considerations for any device. The other consideration, of course, is whether the body is matte or shiny.
(If you intended a joke, I appreciate it. If not, I'm making one at my own expense, not yours.)
ROFL....no I was serious. The reason is I am curious. To me the white one makes the screen look hideous, at least in that video review. So I was wondering what color they had on display. I think they should display the brown one, since that is a new and unique color.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-22-2013, 06:40 AM   #396
Jen_Smith
Nameless Being

My Aura HD has just arrived. I have the 'onyx' version, which is satin-finish black - or maybe ever-so-slightly off-black. I've heard it said that the Aura looks cheap and plasticky - I don't agree. Yes, it's plastic, but it has a sort of elegant simplicity. The satin finish is nice - not quite matt, but definitely not the shiny black of the Sony. It feels nice in the hand.

First impressions: only a smidgen taller than my Sony PRS-T1, and about 3/4 of an inch wider. It's thicker and heavier, but definitely light enough to hold in one hand. The weird zigzag back is nice to hold in one hand - I have little hands, and my fingers rest quite naturally in the 'dip' in the middle, with the corner of the reader in my palm. The bezel around the screen is just wide enough to rest a thumb on.

Display is a major improvement. My Sony is pretty clear, and I've never had a problem with it, but the Aura is noticeably clearer. As you'd expect with the 'HD' tag, you can't see the pixels, which you can if you look close enough on the Sony.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:16 AM   #397
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
ROFL....no I was serious. The reason is I am curious. To me the white one makes the screen look hideous, at least in that video review. So I was wondering what color they had on display. I think they should display the brown one, since that is a new and unique color.
The problem is that Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dumb reviewed a white device on a white background with lots of white light. I couldn't tell where the reader stopped and where the background began.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:18 AM   #398
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen_Smith View Post
My Aura HD has just arrived.
envy. the Lord of the Exchequer says I have to wait another generation or two before I can get an HD eink screen.

given that this is a limited edition, I hope they're still making them when I can afford one!
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:29 AM   #399
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
envy. the Lord of the Exchequer says I have to wait another generation or two before I can get an HD eink screen.

given that this is a limited edition, I hope they're still making them when I can afford one!
Me, too. I want one for Christmas. It is the best ereader currently on the market. They'd better make a lot more!
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:41 AM   #400
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1988 View Post
surprised that a kobo ereader is evoking so much interest here.
Ask Swindon bookshop in Hong-Kong. You can purchase with a Western credit card. They deliver in the main cities of China.

Last edited by roger64; 04-22-2013 at 09:45 AM.
roger64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:57 AM   #401
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post

What Limited Edition? I can't even buy it had I wanted to. Although I'm not signed in, half the Kobo site is in Dutch. (The other half is English. Stupid.) I can't find the Aura anywhere.

I'm not going to order one . My 4 month old PW works just fine, and I'd happily use it if no new e-reader would have appeared for 2 years. Getting an Aura now would just be greedy and wanna-have-the-latest behavior. And I don't know if I'd actually like an ereader bigger than 6". That size feels OK for me.

Look on the bright side. If you wait longer, the readers will be even better.

Last edited by Katsunami; 04-22-2013 at 11:11 AM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:27 AM   #402
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
Getting an Aura now would just be greedy and wanna-have-the-latest behavior.
yes, and your point is...?

BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:39 AM   #403
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
For those who have the Kindle Paperwhite, are you buying the Aura HD?

I've read that the built-in light can be turned off completely (unlike the Paperwhite), is this true?
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:45 AM   #404
Jen_Smith
Nameless Being

Yes, the inbuilt light can be turned on and off. There are two physical buttons on the Aura HD: the orange one is the device on-sleep-off switch. The other one is the switch for the light. You turn it on and off with the switch, and adjust the brightness with a slider on the touchscreen.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:52 AM   #405
jmilica
Banned
jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KB, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazella View Post
For those who have the Kindle Paperwhite, are you buying the Aura HD?
I am waiting to see how people like it, and if it passes with users AND when it becomes available internationally, I am considering buying it as a ereader I will be using at home. Paperwhite is for me perfect for carrying...and Aura would be my first epub ereader.
jmilica is offline   Reply With Quote