Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 02-21-2008, 03:39 PM   #31
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsgreer View Post
Hey I make my living as a graphic artist and I am a Mac guy! But I totally agree with you the "i" stuff is way overused.
It's just a fad, isn't it. About 10 years ago the large computer company I work for went through a spell of renaming all its division "e-something"; we had "e-business", "e-applications", "e-consultancy", etc. Lasted a couple of years and then in the inevitable next reorganisation it all went away again.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 09:32 PM   #32
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I call mine a 505 and what I am reading an eBook.
Now, Jon, you can be as pragmatically practical and foolery-crushing as you wish, but, listen here,mate. "505" is not even a word; it's a number!

So, to solve this obstinate unfoolery of yours, from now on you're going to find that you can't help saying to yourself (because I have now put the thought in your head), when you switch "505" on, "Number 505 is alive!" and, because of homophonic resonance, you will call your Sony "Johnny Five!".

(If you have never seen Short Circuit, all of the above is going to look like nonsense...or more so )

Cheers,
Marc (I'm just teasing you a little, Jon. Heaven knows I wouldn't want to curse other people with my silly penchant for giving names to inanimate objects )
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2008, 11:02 PM   #33
Cthulhu
Technologist
Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY Reader PRS-500
I can't necessarily fault anybody for this, because it all written, but please, for the love of the Elder Gods:

'oh' is a letter. ZERO is a NUMBER.

Also, can we revert to tom-foolery? All the semiotic makes my neurons ache.

WRT 'pads,' Did Greg Bear use the notion of an Uber PDA "Pad" in any books beyond Slant ? That seems like a darned handy device, whatever the heck it was.
Cthulhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 12:26 AM   #34
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthulhu View Post
I can't necessarily fault anybody for this, because it all written, but please, for the love of the Elder Gods:

'oh' is a letter. ZERO is a NUMBER.
I thought "oh", amongst other things, was what my loved one said when I shouted out "Help! I'm stuck in the Time Machine again" (and by "Time Machine" I mean "Washing Machine". A man can dream, can't he?), however, who am I to argue with a Great Old One, no matter how cute the avatar.

Quote:
Also, can we revert to tom-foolery? All the semiotic makes my neurons ache.
I don't know who this Tom fella is (I know a Tom O'Bedlam - nice chap, keeps trying to lick the back of his own head), but I prefer the ordinary kind of foolery; the kind you have to shout to be heard over all the voices in your head.

Quote:
WRT 'pads,' Did Greg Bear use the notion of an Uber PDA "Pad" in any books beyond Slant ? That seems like a darned handy device, whatever the heck it was.
I tend to think that "touch screen" is likely to become more common in these devices. If so, they're more likely to have a stylus come with them too. As such, the idea of them being named a "pad" might be something they evolve towards.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 02:25 AM   #35
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
Book TNG

mores is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2008, 07:21 AM   #36
Prospect
Other
Prospect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook, Kindle
My conclusion after reading this thread so far would be that the generic name for the devices is “ereader”, (not to far in the future “reader” will probably do) and that the name for the content is “ebook”.

For the device there are alternatives (read-box, readpad and other) but I do not think they will make it.

There might be issues with competing companies not being allowed to refer to their devices as “eReaders” since this already is a brand name, but I think that this will not be an issue in the long run (I doubt that Sony is in position to make claims related to “Reader”, it is probably too generic).

There is of course the issue with the confusion between ereader as a generic term for the device and the ereader format, but in lack of stronger alternatives I think the possible confusion is something we would have to live with. Alternatively the name of the format could be slightly changed?
Prospect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 08:08 AM   #37
spooky69
Stats:
spooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505
Bbookkzz
spooky69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 08:46 AM   #38
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Fiona. Or did Bezos reserve that for the Kindle?
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 11:06 AM   #39
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Based on the analogy to "computer" - a device one uses for computing (sort of), I'd go with "reader." Unfortunately, that also refers to a person who reads (never mind the Sony device). I'm thinking "ereader" is likely to become very common.

Since eReader.com has been bought by FictionWise, maybe that format will go away, which would be less confusing. (Or, I suppose, FictionWise might keep the eReader format name, end up on the top of the heap, and become the default standard... but I'm still holding out for a non-proprietary format!)
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 11:16 AM   #40
Oh, Why Not?
Groupie
Oh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Galaxy Note 2; KindleFireHDX
ebookshelf
Oh, Why Not? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 05:28 PM   #41
electristan
newbie reader
electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: reMarkable, Boox T68, Kobo Mini, Nook STR, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
e-folio (i like the pun on "in folio" and etymologically "electronic leaves of paper" makes sense especially with e-ink screens...)
i like this one, if there way only a way to make it roll of that tongue
electristan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 07:02 PM   #42
Jadon
Hermit
Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kobo Glo
mybrary
Jadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 07:06 PM   #43
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I hereby name the Kindle... Mr. Ed.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 10:31 PM   #44
Cthulhu
Technologist
Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY Reader PRS-500
Personally, am absolutely against trendy vowels masquerading and posturing as meaningful prefixes. "Electro-Reader" would be acceptable, because the device is that, plus there's the tie-in to fancy e-ink, and of course, the retro credit that could be squeezed out.
But 'a' is really the only single letter prefix that I recognise.

@ MountsMagi: Give me an Illiad that has colour and costs at most as much as the PRS, and I will be a happy happy cuttlefish. By the way, do you folks lick those evil cane toads as a matter of course? I love the non-sequiturs.

Speaking of which, I just listened to an Arcade Fire tune all alone in my room, missing my girl and lamenting my injured hand. Guess I finally get this indie/emo deal.

Continuing my ramble:

Are there any classical nerds who went so far as to name a device Homer?

C'mon, we won't judge you....
Cthulhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 10:52 PM   #45
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If we are being serious for a moment, then what we have with the 500/505, Kindle, Gen3, etc.. is an ULTRA PORTABLE ELECTRONIC DOCUMENT READER.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
birth of the cool, farking and lower farking, hugo and lefty, liseuse, ongoing saga, saga, screaming mad adrian, the birth of the cool, the goose, unutterable silliness, vera