Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 08-02-2012, 11:30 AM   #1
Francois_C
Zealot
Francois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Touch, Kobo Mini
"In device" check not properly refreshed with latest versions

I use Calibre 0.8.62 on Win 7 and Ubuntu Linux 12.04 (both 64-bit versions).

I noticed that since version 0.8.61, when I remove a book from the device, the green check remains (while it was refreshed in former versions), and the behavior of the checking of the presence of books on the device seems to have become somehow erratic.

I use Kobo Touch + micro SDHC 4Go with firmware 2.0, but this appeared when I still used 1.9.14. This problem came precisely with the new feature taking care of possibly unsupported new versions of Kobo firmware: I had to check the "Attempt to support newer firmware" option.

Did someone else notice this issue?

Thanks.
Francois_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 09:16 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois_C View Post
I use Calibre 0.8.62 on Win 7 and Ubuntu Linux 12.04 (both 64-bit versions).

I noticed that since version 0.8.61, when I remove a book from the device, the green check remains (while it was refreshed in former versions), and the behavior of the checking of the presence of books on the device seems to have become somehow erratic.

I use Kobo Touch + micro SDHC 4Go with firmware 2.0, but this appeared when I still used 1.9.14. This problem came precisely with the new feature taking care of possibly unsupported new versions of Kobo firmware: I had to check the "Attempt to support newer firmware" option.

Did someone else notice this issue?

Thanks.
How did you remove the book (Calibre or Device/file system)?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-02-2012, 09:22 PM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
I don't normally delete from my Kobo Touch using calibre. Actually, books normally stay on the KT forever. Anyway, I just did a couple of quick tests. I am seeing the same thing. The list of the books on the device is not being updated either.

I've actually been looking at this code, and this not happening might explain something else I am seeing. The problem isn't related to the firmware version, or at least not a recent version. I didn't think there any changes in the Kobo driver code that would account for this. But, it might be a change elsewhere that hasn't been reflected in the driver properly.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 09:29 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I don't normally delete from my Kobo Touch using calibre. Actually, books normally stay on the KT forever. Anyway, I just did a couple of quick tests. I am seeing the same thing. The list of the books on the device is not being updated either.

I've actually been looking at this code, and this not happening might explain something else I am seeing. The problem isn't related to the firmware version, or at least not a recent version. I didn't think there any changes in the Kobo driver code that would account for this. But, it might be a change elsewhere that hasn't been reflected in the driver properly.
Deleteing from Calibre forces a update.
Note: just leaving an lone OPF (external) in a folder, counts as a book to ADE.

Kiwidude added a 'fix' section to the Quality check plugin, that cleaned those if the book was not in the same folder
Old 08-02-2012, 09:56 PM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Deleteing from Calibre forces a update.
Unfortunately, it isn't for our Kobo Touches. I am sure I have seen it in the past, but I rarely delete from the device using calibre, so I can't be sure.

Quote:
Note: just leaving an lone OPF (external) in a folder, counts as a book to ADE.
I'm not sure what you mean hear. There are no OPF files on the device and ADE doesn't come into it. What we are reporting is happening in calibre.
Quote:
Kiwidude added a 'fix' section to the Quality check plugin, that cleaned those if the book was not in the same folder
That is handy to know about. I have the plugin but I rarely use it so I am not familiar with all the options.
Advert
Old 08-02-2012, 10:04 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:

I'm not sure what you mean hear. There are no OPF files on the device and ADE doesn't come into it. What we are reporting is happening in calibre.
Calibre Looks at your Device
If your device has the Book and/or the OPF file, Calibre considers it is on Your device

This does not make it a calibre problem.... It makes it a garbage collection problem.
Old 08-02-2012, 11:13 PM   #7
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Calibre Looks at your Device
If your device has the Book and/or the OPF file, Calibre considers it is on Your device

This does not make it a calibre problem.... It makes it a garbage collection problem.
As there are no OPF files at all on my Kobo Touch device, and the book has been deleted from the file structure on the device and the appropriate records have been deleted from the SQL database on the device, that makes me think that calibre is not refreshing something somewhere.

Another test: If I exit calibre and come back in, then the display is correct. That was done without disconnecting the device. That means that it is calibre not doing something to refresh the original display. As I said earlier, my guess is that something was changed elsewhere that the Kobo device driver hasn't been updated to reflect.

Hmm, the other possibility is that the recent change in the device driver to test the firmware version and use an option to ignore this is not working correctly. It is called at the start of a lot of methods and I haven't looked at all of them to see if there might be one that is different somehow. If someone with a calibre version from before check was added can check what happens, then we can eliminate/confirm this. At the least it will help determine when this started happening.
Old 08-03-2012, 12:09 AM   #8
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

OK, I just saw an error in the Kobo device driver code. With the change I mentioned above for the checking the new firmware, I can see the following at line 463:
Code:
    def remove_books_from_metadata(self, paths, booklists):
        if self.modify_datbase_check("remove_books_from_metatata") == False:
            return

But, "modify_datbase_check" doesn't exist and it should be "modify_database_check". I have fixed this for my local version of the code and done a test. With this, the "on device" state gets updated properly when I delete a book from my Kobo Touch.
Old 08-03-2012, 12:17 AM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Thanks, fixed.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 12:23 AM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
OK, I just saw an error in the Kobo device driver code. With the change I mentioned above for the checking the new firmware, I can see the following at line 463:
Code:
    def remove_books_from_metadata(self, paths, booklists):
        if self.modify_datbase_check("remove_books_from_metatata") == False:
            return

But, "modify_datbase_check" doesn't exist and it should be "modify_database_check". I have fixed this for my local version of the code and done a test. With this, the "on device" state gets updated properly when I delete a book from my Kobo Touch.
My apology; You really had, and Found the code error in a driver.
Old 08-03-2012, 12:06 PM   #11
Francois_C
Zealot
Francois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Touch, Kobo Mini
Thank you, especially davidfor an kovidgoyal, for the fast reaction!
Reporting a bug is sometimes discouraging, as some programmers may be haughty, and you get also answers from people who pretend to know more than you while they did not understand the question...
As I have been a hobby programmer for a rather long time (but rather long ago), I think I'll have a glance at the code, because the sort of error found by David is exactly the same as some I found in the last beta of WinFF some months ago
Thank you, Kovid, for the great software!
Francois_C is offline   Reply With Quote