Notices

Old 02-22-2011, 02:52 PM   #1
tscamera
Enthusiast
tscamera began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-650 ... ipad
Question lower case to capital via regex

hi,
does anybody know, how i can change lower case to capital.
(i mean whole words)
via
regex.

Last edited by tscamera; 02-22-2011 at 03:41 PM.
tscamera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 03:30 AM   #2
tscamera
Enthusiast

Question coming closer

....while browsing through the regex references i found the search string:

([a-zA-Z])*-

using the hyphen or any other (i.e. space) as the delimiter.

BUT how to replace?

please help!
Advert
Old 02-23-2011, 04:01 AM   #3
Perkin
Guru
Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Kobo Aura HD, iPad (Marvin)
I'm pretty sure you cant batch replace with capitals.

Depending on how many need capitalizing, you've got two options.

Loop through each lowercase letter and replace with it's capital
Search 'a' -> Replace 'A'
Search 'b' -> Replace 'B'
etc. (match case)

Or
Copy all the text into a text editor of your choice, select a section that you want capitalized and in menus/toolbar 'Change to UPPERCASE'.
(Will only work if your editor has that ability)

Depending on how much you want changed and a couple of other factors, the Search/Replace will probably be easier, if not monotonous.
Perkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 05:10 AM   #4
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
css syntax has something called text-transform but I've not messed with it
http://www.w3schools.com/css/pr_text_text-transform.asp
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 06:42 AM   #5
tscamera
Enthusiast

Question in general: is there a way to capitalize (+visversa) with regex?

thanks so far.
but i'm definitly searching for a REGEX solution.
not just for SIGILs find/replace, also for other engines/progs with replace option.
so, in general: is there a way to capitalize (+visversa) with regex?

as i said: ([a-zA-Z])*-
will find whole words ending with a choosen delimiter.
i need the syntax for the replace field.

Last edited by tscamera; 02-23-2011 at 06:47 AM.
Advert
Old 02-23-2011, 07:04 AM   #6
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
css syntax has something called text-transform but I've not messed with it
http://www.w3schools.com/css/pr_text_text-transform.asp
And it's not in the ePUB-supported subset.
Jellby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 09:04 AM   #7
Perkin
Guru
Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.

You can't replace with uppercased-match with regex.
Old 03-18-2012, 04:00 PM   #8
goranjan
goranjan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
I think the answer is is Python

I assume you guys are talking about the regex search and replace while doing a conversion.

I am hitting the same problem - except in my case I am matching on text which is in bold, and I want to make it upper case.

If this Search/Replace is based on Python, why can't we use the Python function:

string.upper()

in my case it would be (\1).upper(), since \1 is the match group from my regex.

Thanks,
Goran
goranjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 04:51 PM   #9
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
A little over a year later but... with PCRE (that Sigil uses) anyway...

Find: \b(word)\b
Replace with: \U\1\E

Turns "word" into "WORD"

Find: \b(word)\b
Replace with: \u\1

Turns "word" into "Word"

Last edited by DiapDealer; 03-18-2012 at 05:46 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 05:55 PM   #10
Perkin
Guru

@DiapDealer Nice, but can you also change upper to lower case

e.g Chapter ONE -> Chapter One

If it's lower to upper as wanted in topic we can do
Chapter one -> Chapter One

Search
Code:
(Chapter )(.+?\b)
Replace
Code:
\1\u\2
So what would the replace be for this if possible?
Code:
Chapter ONE
Desired result would be
Code:
Chapter One
(I'd expect same or similar search as above)

EDIT:
Found a solution.

Search
Code:
(Chapter )(.)(.+?\b)
Replace
Code:
\1\u\2\L\3\E

Last edited by Perkin; 03-18-2012 at 06:12 PM.
Old 03-18-2012, 06:50 PM   #11
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I see you already discovered a solution while I was typing, so I modified it so it will detect and fix Chapter TWENty-oNE as well.

Code:
(Chapter )(\w)(.+?\b)
Replace:

Code:
\1\u\2\L\3\E
But that won't help when you get as high as "Chapter TWENTY-ONE," soooo.....

Code:
(Chapter )(\w)(.+?\b)((-)(\w)(.+?\b))?
Replace:

Code:
\1\u\2\L\3\E\5\u\6\L\7\E
Should straighten up any capitalization issues of the part that follows "Chapter ", as long as it maintains a standard "word" or "word-word" convention)

"Chapter ONe" will become "Chapter One" and "Chapter THIRTY-two" will become "Chapter Thirty-Two"

Last edited by DiapDealer; 03-19-2012 at 08:35 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 03-18-2012, 09:06 PM   #12
Perkin
Guru

Great, that also gives everyone a rough idea of how to adapt either version for other uses.

Thanks.
Old 03-18-2012, 10:54 PM   #13
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Great, that also gives everyone a rough idea of how to adapt either version for other uses.
Just in case it's unclear for any following along:

\u Uppercase the next character
\l Lowercase next character
\U Uppercase until \E
\L Lowercase until \E
\E End case modification

Last edited by DiapDealer; 03-19-2012 at 08:36 AM. Reason: typo

Tags
capital, case, changing, lower