Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 02-28-2011, 11:30 PM   #1
numberman
numberman began at the beginning.

Device: IQ
Pocketbook IQ battery and internal SD

Hi, All

I have just received my pocketbook IQ few days ago, I have many questions, and here are two of them.

1. Is it possible to replace the battery? if yes, how?
2. How do I replace the internal SD card, I am thinking of replacing the internal SD card say to 4 Gig.

Can someone show me how to open the back of the unit, I do not see any cover at all on the back, just a little indent on one side.

Thanks!
numberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 09:06 AM   #2
hoghead3
hoghead3 began at the beginning.

Device: pocketbook iq 701
I upgraded my internal memory with an 8gb class 6 micro sd card from Amazon.com for $20 works great.
hoghead3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2011, 09:11 AM   #3
hiaig
Addict
hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: jetbook and PocketBook IQ
Use a credit card and start prying at the indent on the side. the back cover will pop up.

The battery is replaceable but I have no idea where you would buy the battery - Just unplug it

The microSD card is also replaceable - just slide the metal holder and lift to remove the microSD Card.

Cheers
hiaig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 11:23 AM   #4
numberman

Thanks guys, I will try that as soon as I get home.

Just hope I don't break the thing!
Old 03-01-2011, 10:03 PM   #5
numberman

Hi,

I was able to open the back cover, and now I see that it may not be so easy to find a replacement battery for it. In the beginning, I thought it was like a cell phone battery, but this looks much larger.
As to replacing the SD card, I need further instruction, please.
Is the process simple as copying what is on the SD card to a larger SD card using a PC? And do I need to reinstall the firmware after I do this? And I noticed that the file system is FAT with the internal SD, can I format my replacment SD card as FAT32? Will this create any problems.

Thanks for all your help!
Advert
Old 03-02-2011, 07:42 AM   #6
hiaig
Addict
hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Format the new card FAT32.

You can backup a copy of what you have in the internal card to your new card if you want (mostly to save the ebooks that were packaged).

The internal and external card has nothing to do with the firmware.

Cheers
Old 03-13-2011, 07:05 PM   #7
numberman

Hi,

I have swapped the internal card with a larger one, but to my surprise, I noticed that the available memory has not changed, so I have since read some of the posts on this forum. If I understand correctly, there is no point of increasing the internal card to a larger one, the only and therefore the proper way is to use an large external SD card and use a2sd to install app to the exteranl sd card.
I have not yet install a2sd, but I have also read that the SD card should be formatted with 2 partitions, one FAT32 and the other Ext 3, I think, now I don't understand why it needs to have 2 partitions and format as such.
Did I understand this correctly? Can someone please explains?

Thanks!
Old 03-13-2011, 09:02 PM   #8
hiaig
Addict

a2sd does not allow you to install apps to the external card.

a2sd allows you install apps to the newly created ext3 partition (either in your internal or external card).

Keep in mind that you need to keep your ext3 partition small (ie less 500MB) otherwise the IQ will become unstable.

The FAT32 partition can be used to store books, music, etc. BUT not the apps themselves.

Cheers
Old 03-16-2011, 10:10 PM   #9
brennivin
brennivin began at the beginning.

Device: Augen - The Book, Coby Kyros MID7015
Yay for 8GB internal memory! Might not be app space but now I'll always have my Sigur Ros on hand, no matter whats on the SD card. Thanks for the tip!
brennivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 01:46 PM   #10
numberman

I have upgraded my IQ with CoreDump-EE’s firmware repack. And as it mentioned the app “A2SD” is preinstalled, ready for setup, (I read some where here in this forum, that it does not shown on the window, so I assume it is installed.)
Now according to the instruction, I need to format one of the 2 partitions as an Ext3 paritition, as I do not have linux installed on my pc, so I am wondering how can I format an Ext3 partition under Window.
I have just run out of space on my unit, therefore can not installed anymore apps. Can someone please take me through this process?

Thanks!
Old 04-24-2011, 10:07 AM   #11
Tytonegro
Tytonegro began at the beginning.

Device: pocketbook IQ
Unhappy SD card blues

After all the confusion about the IQ and how it handles SD cards, I decided to swap the internal card for a bigger one.

See :
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=128527
for my experiences with SD cards...

- I bought a *Transcend* 4Gb class 6 card.
- I'm running Eclair 2.0.6
- I exchanged the internal 2 GB with the new 4GB
- I inserted an external card with the 2.0.6 update ...
...and re-booted....

Everything appeared to be working fine. The card showed about 2.8 GB space, the rest is used by the Linux partitions as before.
But then suddenly files/books were not readable anymore on the IQ. The system would not even shut down and start up normally. When it started up I got the message that there was an internal memory problem and that I should contact my supplier...

I removed the card, tested on the PC, saw everything was broken, formatted the card and did the whole process again.

Same song as before, seemed to work first, things got from bad to worse and this time the card was totally unreadable and could not be formatted anymore.

I suspected a faulty card, claimed warranty, got a new card, and everything went the same as before.

This time I only tried once, the second new card was still useable on the PC, so I just gave up. I re-installed the original 2GB internal card and now I'm using an external 4 GB class 2 card without any problems.

Has this something to do with the brand of the card?
Other experiences, good or bad, which brand/type card?

Thanks, Tom
Tytonegro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 02:13 PM   #12
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
the 701 is the same hardware (with a few alterations) as the Pandigital Novel, and both are the same as the Cruz Reader.

I know the last two use the same battery. I assume the IQ does as well.

You can buy replacement batteries thru Velocity Micro. Not sure if this will hold true in a year or two when the batteries die, but here's the link. Under 30 bucks:

http://www.velocitymicro.com/item.php?iid=4604
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote