Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-11-2012, 10:06 AM   #14581
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
1982 is 30 years ago now. And, yes that is making me feel old too.

Another Terry Pratchett Discworld selection with Guards! Guards!.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 11:35 AM   #14582
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Ha! Funny how our minds fill in the blanks. When reading this post on Tapatalk, the preview window showed:

For a minute I thought you had read Plato's Republic while watching a game of football.
I'll add it to my "reading while watching football" list.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-11-2012, 03:08 PM   #14583
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool The Dresden Files and the James Potter Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
Just finished re-reads of Turn Coat, Changes and the novella, Aftermath. Aftermath is a bridge between Changes and Ghost Story. All of these were quite exciting and I've thoroughly enjoyed re-reading them. I've just started my re-read of Ghost Story.

Also I've read the fist two chapters of Cold Days. Two more chapters will be made available one-at-a-time on the next two Tuesdays. And then the entire novel will be released on Tuesday the 27th. Hooray!!

I finished re-reading Ghost Story yesterday, which completes my preparation for the release of Cold Days on November 27th.

I've begun my re-read (again) of James Potter And The Vault Of Destinies in preparation for the Autumn release of the 4th novel in the James Potter series, James Potter and the Morrigan Web.

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 03:29 PM   #14584
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Finished the final version of Captain Vorpatril's Alliance (I had read the eArc). Time for a bit of a break, so reading one of my Georgette Heyer's, Charity Girl.
(Meanwhile, listening to Nine Princes in Amber)
Finished Heyer's Charity Girl. Typical Heyer regency. Delightful and ridiculous.

Next was Death at Victoria Dock by Kerry Greenwood. #4 in the Phryne Fisher series. I'm still enjoying the heck out of this series, but going to take a break and read the second in the Morse series by Colin Dexter.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 07:19 PM   #14585
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I'm about half-way through Cloud Atlas and I'm finding it rather cheesy. Oh, it's a good-enough read, but I hope the payoff is worth it.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2012, 07:54 AM   #14586
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I'm about half-way through Cloud Atlas and I'm finding it rather cheesy. Oh, it's a good-enough read, but I hope the payoff is worth it.
I'm not done yet, but I agree that it is rather uneven. I also hope that it earns the reputation it has by coming together in the end. Major spoiler:
Spoiler:

That scenario about the nuclear reactor reads like a film script for one of those 1970s films about how the establishment was all powerful and evil. Sort of a cross between Three Days of the Condor and The China Syndrome.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:08 AM   #14587
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
1982 is 30 years ago now. And, yes that is making me feel old too.

Another Terry Pratchett Discworld selection with Guards! Guards!.

Well, when you're 60, you can say that 30 years ago was 50% of your life ago.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:29 AM   #14588
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
The Best of Marion Zimmer Bradley. A collection of shorter works.
Some I had read before, some I had not. Not all were Fantasy/SF. Interesting, but I think I do prefer her novels.

Next up: Shadow of a Dark Queen by Raymond E. Feist. I bought this one back in 2008, for $5.64. A lesson in 'don't buy except when on special offer or you're going to read immediately', as it's now readily available for under $3.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:36 AM   #14589
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Inspector Morse: Last Seen Wearing

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Finished Heyer's Charity Girl. Typical Heyer regency. Delightful and ridiculous.

Next was Death at Victoria Dock by Kerry Greenwood. #4 in the Phryne Fisher series. I'm still enjoying the heck out of this series, but going to take a break and read the second in the Morse series by Colin Dexter.
Reading Last Seen Wearing, by Colin Dexter. Enjoying it immensely. As marvelous as the TV series was, the book is at least as good. (Not available in eBook format in the US, but is available in the UK and Canada. )
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:59 AM   #14590
LovesMacs
Fanatic
LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kindle Touch
I'm reading several things at once. Ereaders make that so much easier to do.

I set myself a goal to read through the entire Bible, from Genesis to Revelation. I've never read through the Bible straight through before. I haven't set a specific deadline to complete this.

Coupled with this is the Catechism of the Catholic Church, again no real deadline.

I'm also continuing my year of Lincoln by reading Team of Rivals. I plan on seeing the Spielberg movie based on this, and I may break my general rule of completing the book before the movie. I've already read another biography, A. Lincoln, as well as books on the American Civil War.

I'm also rereading Taft 2012 with plans to write a Wikipedia article on the book. Its premise is that President William Howard Taft mysteriously appears in the modern day USA, just in time to disrupt the 2012 presidential election campaigns. I recommend the book, it's quite funny and timely.

Yes, there's more. I'm rereading Les Misérables before the movie musical comes out. I may finish the reread by then, I may not, I'm not concerned about that.
LovesMacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:47 PM   #14591
LovesMacs
Fanatic
LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kindle Touch
I forgot, I'm also reading a book on the Reformation by Diarmaid MacCulloch, but it's a paperback.
LovesMacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:02 PM   #14592
DonnaFaz
Connoisseur
DonnaFaz calls his or her ebook reader Vera.DonnaFaz calls his or her ebook reader Vera.DonnaFaz calls his or her ebook reader Vera.DonnaFaz calls his or her ebook reader Vera.DonnaFaz calls his or her ebook reader Vera.DonnaFaz calls his or her ebook reader Vera.DonnaFaz calls his or her ebook reader Vera.DonnaFaz calls his or her ebook reader Vera.DonnaFaz calls his or her ebook reader Vera.DonnaFaz calls his or her ebook reader Vera.DonnaFaz calls his or her ebook reader Vera.

Device: Kindle
The Justice Series

I read the entire Justice Series, purchased book by book, and loved this MI5-type crime drama. But now I see the series is boxed: The Justice Series.

Last edited by dreams; 11-12-2012 at 10:13 PM. Reason: Please use full links without affiliate links - moderator
DonnaFaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:09 PM   #14593
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I'm reading "The Old Dick," a nice PI novel from 1982, by L.A. Morse....
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Describing something from 1982 as good old stuff. How ancient does that make me feel .
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
And here's a quote from one of the characters in Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell on aging. Not really a spoiler, so I'm not bothering with the spoiler tags:

“Oh, once you’ve been initiated into the Elderly, the world doesn’t want you back.” Veronica settled herself in a rattan chair and adjusted her hat just so. “We—by whom I mean anyone over sixty—commit two offenses just by existing. One is Lack of Velocity. We drive too slowly, walk too slowly, talk too slowly. The world will do business with dictators, perverts, and drug barons of all stripes, but being slowed down it cannot abide. Our second offence is being Everyman’s memento mori. The world can only get comfy in shiny-eyed denial if we are out of sight.”

(I'm now 78% through Mitchell's book.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Well, when you're 60, you can say that 30 years ago was 50% of your life ago.
FWIW, 30 years ago was 48% of my life ago, but I don't feel bad about that. I know people much older than me who were born long after I was. It's only in the past few years that I've stopped thinking of myself as a teenager.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:46 PM   #14594
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
I'm not done yet, but I agree that it is rather uneven. I also hope that it earns the reputation it has by coming together in the end. Major spoiler:
Spoiler:

That scenario about the nuclear reactor reads like a film script for one of those 1970s films about how the establishment was all powerful and evil. Sort of a cross between Three Days of the Condor and The China Syndrome.
Spoiler:
And in the well-worn thriller manner, the heroine in that story cheats death umpteen times, as well.

I'm done and I think Cloud Atlas is grossly overrated. A lot of cheap effects and lazy pastiche.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 04:32 AM   #14595
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenyoga View Post
I'm reading Yoga Sutras , loving it ...
Show and tell!!
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote