Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-08-2012, 07:13 AM   #76
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
How can anyone judge if a write off of 3 billion or 6.2 billion is justifiable? I'm thinking that when MS has the opportunity for a write off like this, they go all in to use a mangled poker phrase.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 07:19 AM   #77
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
I'll judge (provided I get a nice percentage ).

Mee! Meee! Choose Me!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 07:34 AM   #78
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1

I could've had a V8.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 10:54 AM   #79
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
How can anyone judge if a write off of 3 billion or 6.2 billion is justifiable? I'm thinking that when MS has the opportunity for a write off like this, they go all in to use a mangled poker phrase.
Not hard.
The units are simply priced as a standalone business and if the book value exceeds the estimate, the difference is either carried on the books as goodwill (brand value and other intangibles) or gets written down.

A classic case is the TimeWarner merger with AOL just before the 90's internet bubble burst. It tooks years to write down all the lost value and by the final tally AOL had lost two thirds of its total *value*. TimeWarner was worth *less* after merging with AOL that it was worth without it.

http://www.time.com/time/business/ar...233436,00.html

The opposite is also true, BTW: some companies are composed of units that are individually worth more than the combined company is valued at.

Last edited by fjtorres; 12-08-2012 at 11:00 AM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:21 AM   #80
Top100EbooksRank
Banned
Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
http://www.windowsitpro.com/article/...ibution-144927

Both Windows 8 and Surface are off to slower-than-expected starts, missing the firm’s internal projections for the first month of availability by a wide margin. But Microsoft hopes that increased Surface distribution and a broader availability of diverse Windows 8 hardware can still save the quarter and set up the systems for long-term success.
Top100EbooksRank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:48 AM   #81
MV64
Addict
MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
I know a lot of people who aren't impressed with the way Windows 8 looks. Haven't heard of anyone actually using it yet, but it doesn't surprise me that Microsoft is struggling with the Surface (also a stupid name for a product).

I can say that from a marketing standpoint, to a savvy consumer, Windows 8 looks extremely limited. I don't know if it is or not, but from commercials and whatnot it seems much less customizable than Windows 7. Tablets are nice and all, but on my laptop I want a high powered, customizable OS that I can do basically whatever I want with, not be limited by stylistic choices like those menus.
MV64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:57 AM   #82
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There have been a number of posts here of people using it.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:41 AM   #83
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by MV64 View Post
I know a lot of people who aren't impressed with the way Windows 8 looks. Haven't heard of anyone actually using it yet, but it doesn't surprise me that Microsoft is struggling with the Surface (also a stupid name for a product).

I can say that from a marketing standpoint, to a savvy consumer, Windows 8 looks extremely limited. I don't know if it is or not, but from commercials and whatnot it seems much less customizable than Windows 7. Tablets are nice and all, but on my laptop I want a high powered, customizable OS that I can do basically whatever I want with, not be limited by stylistic choices like those menus.
I installed Win8 and kicked the tires for a few days. I then uninstalled it and went back to Win7. Win8 feels like a kludge...multiple personalities each fighting for attention. The odd thing is, I like many of the individual aspects of Win8, but the way they were all put together felt strange.

I installed a "flat" theme for Win7, and the Omnimo theme for Rainmeter and I have what LOOKS like Win8 but operates in a much more cohesive manner.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:15 AM   #84
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I'm really tempted to get a surface RT. It seems like a great choice for hacking presentations together for work in PowerPoint and Excel as well as a general purpose entertainment device.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:03 AM   #85
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
^ If you use Office a lot, it is probably the best tablet for you.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:24 PM   #86
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
^It probably is. I'm tempted to wait for the Pro for SharePoint Designer stuff as well, but then I'm losing battery life and gaining a lot of weight as well as well as cost. At that point running a VM on a Macbook Air or going down the path of an ultrabook would make more sense to me.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:23 AM   #87
Nathanael
Groupie
Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sibrary G5
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysJeepMan View Post
The odd thing is, I like many of the individual aspects of Win8, but the way they were all put together felt strange.
I admit to having hardly touched Win8. I've seen non-interactive demos, and there are certain features I, as an iPad owner, find intriguing. I'd love to be able to view two apps side by side on my iPad -- even a four-finger swipe to hop back and forth can be inconvenient -- and I'd like to see something like live tiles (aka Android's widgets) on the iPad. I run a number of apps that don't need to take the whole screen. Who needs a 10" alarm clock at night, for example?

It's mostly the aesthetics that turn me away. All those 16-color flat rectangles look like a throwback to Win3 days. And, as others here, I sit a good two arms-lengths away from 27" monitor, making a touch interface on my desktop just a little impractical.

In any case, I've already got both a tablet and a laptop (running Kubuntu); there's just no room between those to squeeze in a Surface, even edge-first.
Nathanael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:44 AM   #88
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathanael View Post
I admit to having hardly touched Win8. I've seen non-interactive demos, and there are certain features I, as an iPad owner, find intriguing. I'd love to be able to view two apps side by side on my iPad -- even a four-finger swipe to hop back and forth can be inconvenient -- and I'd like to see something like live tiles (aka Android's widgets) on the iPad. I run a number of apps that don't need to take the whole screen. Who needs a 10" alarm clock at night, for example?

It's mostly the aesthetics that turn me away. All those 16-color flat rectangles look like a throwback to Win3 days. And, as others here, I sit a good two arms-lengths away from 27" monitor, making a touch interface on my desktop just a little impractical.

In any case, I've already got both a tablet and a laptop (running Kubuntu); there's just no room between those to squeeze in a Surface, even edge-first.
It really works just as well as a mouse interface, that is what most people don't understand since it has been misreported in various places.

Scrolling mouse wheel shifts the tiles left and right. Mouse pointer to the top right corner brings up the charms bar, top left brings up the pictures of currently running programs. It is all well thought out, quick and easy.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:26 AM   #89
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
"Microsoft ups Surface production, to sell in more stores"

http://news.yahoo.com/microsoft-surf...--finance.html
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:29 AM   #90
kennyc

Wait what roller-coaster is this that I'm riding....