Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-12-2006, 01:14 PM   #1
Archaegeo
Archaegeo began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
But...sniff....can I read it in the tub?

I love to read in the tub. To crawl in with a nice bath pillow behind my head and emerge 4 hours later, all pruned but satisfied.

Now if im careful, the book does well, but I fear I must give this up if I move to the reader

Is it even splash resistant? Or does it attract liquid like a sponge?
Archaegeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 01:26 PM   #2
SoCal Bob
Connoisseur
SoCal Bob began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader, iLiad, Palm Tungsten T3
One dunk its done
Zip Lock bag... twice!
SoCal Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-12-2006, 01:38 PM   #3
Archaegeo

Oooh,

I hadnt considered reading it through a ziplock <grin> Wonder how much that will affect the readability

WOOT! Tub here I come!
Old 12-12-2006, 02:36 PM   #4
lint
Enthusiast
lint has learned how to buy an e-book online

Ive thought about this too. Wish someone would make a slim fitting waterproof case!

-lint
lint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 03:04 AM   #5
BuddyBoy
eBookin' Fool
BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, KK, iPad (Ex Prs 505, 500, Reb1100-2150, Rocket)
A single Ziploc works fine, is still quite readable, and is as equally at home in the bathtub as it is in the Hot Tub on your next cruise.
BuddyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2006, 03:53 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You can get completely waterproof cases for many cameras, allowing them to be used for underwater photography. Perhaps there's a market for something similar for the Reader? .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 06:53 AM   #7
Moonraker
Addict
Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ILiad. Gen 3, PocketBook 360, Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Oasis 2
A zip-lock bag is good -- but I put my reader into the bath rack.
I have one of those deep metal chrome ones. I get it at the exact angle I want by placing a folded hand towel behind it.

There are special bath racks available that have book stands on them but I haven't investigated these.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bath rack.jpg
Views:	458
Size:	159.4 KB
ID:	2407  
Moonraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 08:43 AM   #8
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Have a try in a Diving gear speciality store or an Outdoor sports shop.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 08:50 AM   #9
Archaegeo

Great pic in the tub!

Picked my Reader up last night for long flight to Hawaii and back this week

Now to load it up with stuff.
Old 12-13-2006, 10:33 AM   #10
tcv
Addict
tcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enough

Any chance I could read it in the shower?
tcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 10:41 AM   #11
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcv
Yes, sure!
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 10:53 AM   #12
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcv
Someone has to invent an eink soap bar!
Old 12-13-2006, 11:32 AM   #13
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
The mind behind your avatar is becoming clearer and clearer, Moonraker.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 11:46 AM   #14
randyman
Enthusiast
randyman shines like a glazed doughnut.randyman shines like a glazed doughnut.randyman shines like a glazed doughnut.randyman shines like a glazed doughnut.randyman shines like a glazed doughnut.randyman shines like a glazed doughnut.randyman shines like a glazed doughnut.randyman shines like a glazed doughnut.randyman shines like a glazed doughnut.randyman shines like a glazed doughnut.randyman shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Now, iPad!
I love to read in the tub, too - especially through the cold New England winters.

For years I read my Rocketbook in the tub, and now I'm using the Reader; the trick is - just don't drop it! Have a towel by the tub to dry your hands with before you pick it up, and you should be fine.

I've never dropped a paper book in the tub, and the same goes for the e-book readers... I say just go for it, be reasonably careful, and you shouldn't have a problem. (though that tub rack is a pretty cool idea!)
randyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 12:17 PM   #15
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyman
I love to read in the tub, too - especially through the cold New England winters.

For years I read my Rocketbook in the tub, and now I'm using the Reader; the trick is - just don't drop it! Have a towel by the tub to dry your hands with before you pick it up, and you should be fine.

I've never dropped a paper book in the tub, and the same goes for the e-book readers... I say just go for it, be reasonably careful, and you shouldn't have a problem. (though that tub rack is a pretty cool idea!)
I've dropped a few! I've even managed to drop one in the...cabinet!