Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 05-06-2010, 12:47 PM   #31
lilman
Addict
lilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle DX, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjl View Post
i was glad to give up my sony 600 (which i liked, a lot) because i got tired of always having to have enough ambient light or a booklight to see the screen. the ipad, i never worry about available lighting or carrying around a booklight.
Yes, that is one of my main annoyances with my Kindle DX. The screen looks amazing, but you have to put it under the right lighting to read. The lighting in my room sucks so I usually have to sit in a weird place or place the DX at a weird angle to get the right lighting.

Quote:
eink never gave me a headache, and neither does my ipad (nor do any of the lcd monitors or tv's i watch).
I haven't noticed any headaches from either my DX or iPad. I think as a strictly book reading device my DX still has the edge over my iPad (the epaper screen is just beautiful), but the additional features of the iPad (choose your own reader app, color, easy zoom, better organization, larger storage, backlit so I don't need perfect light settings, and of course it's more than just a reading device) has made me switch to using my iPad more than the DX. I'm still undecided if I will sell of my DX since it has so many great qualities... I'll have to get more reading in on the iPad to see if it can completely replace the DX.
lilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 06:08 PM   #32
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Quote:
now that statement shows ignorance. eink vs. lcd is simply a personal choice.
It's more than that. It's a matter of quality. Every aspect (excluding color and refresh rate) of the eInk-technology is better.

To use an iPad for e-book reading is as practical as using the iphone for writing word documents.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-06-2010, 06:15 PM   #33
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by joblack View Post
It's more than that. It's a matter of quality. Every aspect (excluding color and refresh rate) of the eInk-technology is better.
that may be your opinion, but there are many who have a differing view and i'm one of them. the only aspect in eink that is "better" is that it has a higher resolution. that doesn't make it any "better" a technology, or any "worse" for that matter. it is just different.

Quote:
To use an iPad for e-book reading is as practical as using the iphone for writing word documents.
really? i've been using my ipad for ebook reading and it is quite practical. i also have not suffered any ill effects, headaches, heart attacks, loss of vision, boils or the plague.

i'm guessing you don't own an ipad, and from the sound of it, have no plans on buying one. so you're not really qualified to comment on what it is and isn't good for, are you?
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 06:57 PM   #34
donnakamla
donnakamla began at the beginning.

Device: iPad (prospective), iTouch
I thought by now enough time would have passed for the 'LCD is bad for your eyes' and 'e-ink is superior' debate to have been settled. Yet e-ink supporters proclamations of e-ink superiority are starting to sound more than a little fanatical :-)
Consider an argument where instead of display technology we argue the merits of newsprint vs novel grade print vs high grade gloss paper and high dpi printing. Isn't it all relative? Our commonality, I assume, is we enjoy reading and so why are we arguing over the superiority of this or that technology. By the way I like reading from the iTouch and when I can, I will purchase an iPad for the primary purpose of eReading. I have used a Kindle and whilst it seems fine, my preference will be to read on an iPad.
Arguing whether someone gets less eye-strain on better quality paper with a high resolution DPI print quality is moot to me. I dont care. I just want a device that I will enjoy reading on and that device happens to be the iPad. Just as I can read on poor quality newsprint paper with low DPI print quality, I still enjoy reading the newspaper.
donnakamla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 07:06 PM   #35
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Quote:
... i'm guessing you don't own an ipad, and from the sound of it, have no plans on buying one. so you're not really qualified to comment on what it is and isn't good for, are you?
You tell'em, Scottie!

How dare anyone complain about anything relating to the iPad, or disagree with you?!

Ask them to leave this forum, now!

And wave that "Troll" sign at them, for good measure!

You da Big Geezah and you squash dem li'le whiners!

Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-06-2010, 07:51 PM   #36
lilman
Addict
lilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle DX, iPad
Quote:
For normal books I still prefer my Kindle DX, but this is a comics thread. Comics on the iPad look fantastic, especially if you read western comics (i.e. full color comics). I'm using it for manga which is mostly b&w and it still looks great. I still think my Kindle DX screen is better for manga, but the iPad has so many additional features (like true full screen, easy zooming, organization, etc.) that I'm now reading manga more on my iPad than my DX.
lilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 07:53 PM   #37
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Yawn. Look. The resident troll walked in...

Well, since you felt the need to but in, you opened yourself to response.

He's free to disagree with me, just as I'm free to disagree with him. But I question where the authority of his opinion comes from. He can't speak from experience if he doesn't actually own an iPad, can he? Or should we all just assume we're expert authorities on everything out there without one shred of experience? Coming on this forum and posting things like "Every aspect (excluding color and refresh rate) of the eInk-technology is better" is a statement one would make if they had some authority to back it up. You know, kinda like the ones you make, trying to sound like an authority without any evidence, poor research and spouting opinions as facts. Sorta sounds like..

Old 05-06-2010, 09:51 PM   #38
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Quote:
e? Coming on this forum and posting things like "Every aspect (excluding color and refresh rate) of the eInk-technology is better" is a statement one would make if they had some authority to back it up. You know, kinda like the ones you make, trying to sound like an authority without any evidence, poor research and spouting opinions as facts. Sorta sounds like..
It's easy - try to read your iPad e-books from the side. And then try the same thing with an eink display.

It's out of question that eink displays have a better black and white contrast than your tft lcd in an ipad.

Anyway, you're well known as an ecstatic Apple fanboy - so there is no need to convince you with rational arguments.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 10:01 PM   #39
scottjl
Reader of Books

From the side? Are you talking about viewing angle? As I said, you really don't know what you're talking about with the iPad because you obviously have never used one. Go check out the viewing angle on the IPS display in an Apple store, then come back and talk. Besides, who the hell reads at a 45 degree angle? Now you want to talk about getting a headache..?

And all the eInk I've seen has been grey and black, not white. And as much as I liked my Sony 600, the contrast was far worse than what I get on my iPad. But we can blame Sony's touch-screen layer for that.

When you go out and get some actual experience, then come back and argue. Making statements based on opinion and conjecture are hardly planks to stand on. Backing them up with personal attacks pretty much means you're here to troll.

If you read my postings you'll see I've got my share of complaints with Apple, Jobs and the iPad. I'm hardly an Apple fanboy. One thing I certainly not a fan of is idiots though.

PS. Let's see how much "better" that eInk display is when we turn off the lights. Ooops, can't read that in the dark. Yup. So much better.

Last edited by scottjl; 05-06-2010 at 10:07 PM.
Old 05-07-2010, 12:47 AM   #40
valkyriesound
Connoisseur
valkyriesound doesn't littervalkyriesound doesn't litter

Arrow

UGH... getting back to comics...

I'd want to leave my huge 500G cbr files alone... put them on a network share (my router has a USB drive option) and access them from my Ipad.

Anyone done this? Anyone know which APP is best for this type of system?

Thanks!
valkyriesound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 07:32 AM   #41
deltop
Zealot
deltop doesn't litterdeltop doesn't litterdeltop doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
It's easy - try to read your iPad e-books from the side. And then try the same thing with an eink display.

It's out of question that eink displays have a better black and white contrast than your tft lcd in an ipad.

Anyway, you're well known as an ecstatic Apple fanboy - so there is no need to convince you with rational arguments.
Seems someone doesn't know what an IPS screen is.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/18814...explained.html

Seriously maybe you should go and actually you know TRY a device before knocking it.
deltop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 07:41 AM   #42
deltop
Zealot
deltop doesn't litterdeltop doesn't litterdeltop doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Glo
If you jailbreak your ipad you can browse your comics on a network share (using ezShare) and then copy them across and move them(via iFile) to where ever your comic app looks for them. A roundabout way of doing things but not as bad as it seems. Beats having to go and use your computer/laptop to copy them across.

The only problem is that the best viewing software for them (Comic Reader Mobi) has been banned from the store due to the developer trying to keep usb file transfer in by sneaking it past the review process. Luckily I bought it before it was banned.

Maybe we'll see another comic reading software with proper network share browsing turn up at some point.
deltop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 09:56 AM   #43
Sischa
Evangelist
Sischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it is

Device: Nokia 770, Ilead, Cybook G3, Kindle DX, Kindle 2, iPad, Kindle 3, PW
Quote:
that may be your
i'm guessing you don't own an ipad, and from the sound of it, have no plans on buying one. so you're not really qualified to comment on what it is and isn't good for, are you?
I have one and it SUCKS for reading for hours compared to my Kindles even compared to my Cybook (to be fair the Cybook in good light conditions).

That shiny LCD's hurt the eyes after reading for hours is a fact and it let you stand in a ridicolous light in my eyes that you still deny it in every 2nd thread.

People can have their different opinion, ok but it gets dangerous and hilarious if they deny scientific facts.

I wear glasses since i am 4 years old and i always had a big interest in themes around the "eye & optic science" and NEVER ever in all these years there were any serious doubts out there about "shining reading source fatigue eye syndrom".

But since January when the fanboys crawled out their are always these threads on the internet with people talking about how they never had any problems with LCD's ...

Nice if you never had experieced this issue (yet ) on your own but maybe you should stop trying to tell people that it doesn't exist. It was and still is a matter of fact that eye strain exist

Sorry for the OT but i thought it is important for all the people out there who care for their eyes to make their decisions

If you are a hardcore reader (reading more then 5 hours in a row if you have the time) get yourself an e-ink if you love your eyes.

Back to comics i would say the iPad is altough the better choice to read comics.

I never read any comic in the last few decades since i "discovered" it again now on the iPad. I would not read them for hours but coloured and in nearly A4 format is just gorgous. And i love the Marvel App its such a professional platform - i like it.

Is there any other source out there then marvel for nice comic books? Maybe with a science fiction background like star Trek or Star Wars? Seems i have missed that development the last few years
Sischa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 10:35 AM   #44
scottjl
Reader of Books

Scientific facts? That LCD causes eye fatigue? Show me the research.

I have read for hours on trans-atlantic trips in dimly lit plane cabins and have been thankful to have a backlit LCD vs straining at a poor-contrast eInk screen with a reading light.

I have been fortunate enough to not need glasses, even at my age, but everyone's eyes differ. Some need glasses. Some don't. You can get eye strain staring off into space for too long. Sheesh. And here's some health tips, you shouldn't be staring at any fixed distance for too long. Take a break once a hour and change your focus to something farther away. Doesn't matter if you're reading a paper book, a computer screen or driving. Google ""tips reduce eye strain" and you'll find plenty more.

As for reflections, don't you dare tell me eInk screens don't have them because my 600 had plenty. Fortunately the solution is simple, just move the screen a few degrees.

eInk vs. LCD debates are completely stupid. Neither one is better, neither one is worse. They both have their advantages and disadvantages but there is no scientific or medical proof that either one is better or worse for the eyes.

PS. The New York Times recently did an article on e-Readers and eye-strain. They spoke with researchers from MIT and Cornell, "reducing eye fatigue is less a matter of choosing a specific display than of taking short breaks from looking at the screen." Common sense advice for everyone, regardless of reader.

Last edited by scottjl; 05-07-2010 at 10:55 AM.
Old 05-08-2010, 11:10 AM   #45
shrktank
Connoisseur
shrktank has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony 650,Nook Color and iPad
Just to let you know your little ant had me freaking out thinking a bug was in my iPad!
shrktank is offline   Reply With Quote