Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 03-09-2010, 04:34 AM   #1
bthoven
Evangelist
bthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Possibility to implement more touch gestures?

The purpose of this gesture is trying to minimize the need of LCD display; thus saving battery life.

When we are reading, now we can swipe left and right for page turning only. There are some cases where we need more functions and we have to activate the LCD display first before we can do that. Here is my suggestion of some gestures:

1. press only the "n" area to display the LCD, leave the left and right of the "n" , and the LCD area for other gestures
2. tap left of "n" once to move the hyperlink up, tap right of "n" once to move to next hyperlink
3. double tap any touch area to confirm selection, like touching the "o" icon in LCD area

I prefer to have at least the above gestures which I use most when reading enews fetched by Calibre where there are many hyperlinks.

Some users may not like such gesture, so Nook should have some setting to enable or disable the additional gestures.

Is it possible to implement this gesture in rooted Nook?
bthoven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 05:36 AM   #2
ctos
Enthusiast
ctos has learned how to read e-booksctos has learned how to read e-booksctos has learned how to read e-booksctos has learned how to read e-booksctos has learned how to read e-booksctos has learned how to read e-booksctos has learned how to read e-books

Device: Nook, G1
agree with you, nook use Synaptics touchpad and which support several kinds of gestures as below

http://www.synaptics.com/solutions/t...tures/touchpad

According Nookdevs, in nook, synaptics-rmi-touchscreen.kl is used to define gestures and has below default setting

key 102 HOME WAKE
key 528 LEFT_SWIPE
key 529 RIGHT_SWIPE

I tried to change 528 and 529 to Menu and Back, but it doesn't work.

my two cents.
ctos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2010, 05:43 AM   #3
beartard
Minister of Linux
beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: nook, T-Mobile MyTouch 3G Slide
I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's certainly *possible* but not probable.

Someone could code a gesture system into an application that would work on a rooted nook. Android phones already have this, including some apps that even use multitouch.

The problem might be that, when reading a book, the nook's "reader" application (whatever it's called) has control of the LCD screen. It might be that a custom reader application would need to be written (assuming B&N have not released the source to their own reader application) in order to have additional or alternative gestures work while reading. If B&N have open-sourced their reader application, it should be no problem for a good coder to hack up something that does exactly what you want.
beartard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 11:12 PM   #4
FireRunner
eAddict
FireRunner is on a distinguished road

Device: Nook
I could see the Nook getting more gestures. What's nice is it could be as simple as a software upgrade and not new hardware.
FireRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 03:27 PM   #5
sahmad88
Zealot
sahmad88 will become famous soon enoughsahmad88 will become famous soon enoughsahmad88 will become famous soon enoughsahmad88 will become famous soon enoughsahmad88 will become famous soon enoughsahmad88 will become famous soon enough

Device: nook color
This is a great idea. I love using my nook to read the paper, but it uses up the battery pretty quickly since I have to activate the LCD screen to navigate through the articles. (I wish I knew more about programming than my days of Fortran 77 back in college.)
sahmad88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert