Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 10-16-2009, 06:31 AM   #1
Xerxes
Addict
Xerxes has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Astak EZReader, Pocket Pro
Libre ebook reader Pro (Jetbook) -$149 at Fry's

Title says it all. Currently the page shows $169, but it changes to $149 in your cart. This is good at stores as well.
http://www.frys.com/product/6049268?site=frysecampaign

Quote:
Introducing the "Libre" eBook Reader pro by Aluratek and the latest craze in the current digital revolution. Now you can digitally store and carry around with you thousands of your favorite books saving money, space and the environment. Aluratek's "Libre" connects to any computer with an internet connection for easy access to the most recent books that are published as well as access to free timeless classics.
After looking on the website, I wonder if you could just put the Ectaco software on it. Ectaco is pretending to get DRM support and at least with them you get a dictionary.

I was tempted to get one these once upon a time. Jetbook that is.
Xerxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 02:51 PM   #2
pjones11
pjones11 began at the beginning.

Device: none
I don't think they're the same....

Aluratek clearly states that they use ePaper technology while Ectaco uses TFT LCD technology although they look virtually identical.

I don't have one, but, I've been very tempted.
pjones11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2009, 02:59 PM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjones11 View Post
Aluratek clearly states that they use ePaper technology while Ectaco uses TFT LCD technology although they look virtually identical.

I don't have one, but, I've been very tempted.

They say "exclusive e-paper LCD technology". As far as I can tell both this and the Jetbook are rebadged M218A's.

Last edited by AnemicOak; 10-16-2009 at 03:02 PM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 03:14 PM   #4
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
They say "exclusive e-paper LCD technology". As far as I can tell both this and the Jetbook are rebadged M218A's.
That's what it looks like to me.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 03:30 PM   #5
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
There's a listing for one on eBay that sounds very much like the Jetbook.
  • Supports PDF, TXT, FB2, EPUB, MOBI, PRC and RTF electronic book format
  • Supports BMP, JPG, GIF, animated GIF picture format
  • Exclusive LCD screen Technology
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2009, 05:58 PM   #6
Xerxes
Addict

Oh it's definitely a Jetbook, just looks like the sellers know what they are selling.

Unless they replaced the 5in display, but I doubt it.
Old 10-17-2009, 10:29 PM   #7
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Very enticing. But I have a question.

I learned a couple of weeks ago that you can cut and paste anything on the internet onto a MS Word document, and then transfer the document onto your eBook reader. All of the readers that I have been looking at support DOC, so I assumed that that would take care of that issue.

But looking at the Fry's webpage, it says "Supports PDF, TXT, FB2, EPUB, MOBI, PRC and RTF electronic book format ".

I don't see DOC listed.

So does that mean that this reader will not allow me to transfer what I have cut and pasted into Word onto the reader?
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 10:58 PM   #8
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
Very enticing. But I have a question.

I learned a couple of weeks ago that you can cut and paste anything on the internet onto a MS Word document, and then transfer the document onto your eBook reader. All of the readers that I have been looking at support DOC, so I assumed that that would take care of that issue.

But looking at the Fry's webpage, it says "Supports PDF, TXT, FB2, EPUB, MOBI, PRC and RTF electronic book format ".

I don't see DOC listed.

So does that mean that this reader will not allow me to transfer what I have cut and pasted into Word onto the reader?
You can save as RFT in Word.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 12:07 AM   #9
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks AO. How do I do that?
Old 10-18-2009, 12:57 AM   #10
Xerxes
Addict

Quote:
Thanks AO. How do I do that?
RTF, rich text format, is available in most word processors I believe including Word for sure. I think you can edit it as much as you can a doc.

From the RTF wiki:
Quote:
RTF is an important format for ebook readers because of its interoperability, simplicity, and low CPU processing requirements, and some devices, including BeBook, work best with this format.
If I didn't buy EZ Reader for my mom to use, I probably would of jumped on this. It's more open, but I would of had to convert her book regardless.
Old 10-18-2009, 01:18 AM   #11
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!

Thanks Xerxes. I went to Wikipedia and read the material, which I sort of understand(!).

My question is fundamentally about what I type when I want to save a cut and paste as an .rtf file.

When I use Word I enter a title without any extension. I have always assumed that the document is saved as a .doc. Correct?

So to save it as an RTF, do I just type in "title.rtf"? Or do I do something else?
Old 10-18-2009, 01:43 AM   #12
Xerxes
Addict

Right below where you type in the title of your filename, there is a line that should read "Save As Type". If you drop down that bar you should see the option Rich Text Format (*.rtf).
Old 10-18-2009, 01:50 AM   #13
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!

Hey, I see that! That's great. Thanks Xerxes!
Old 10-18-2009, 02:05 AM   #14
Xerxes
Addict

Quote:
Hey, I see that! That's great. Thanks Xerxes!
No prob. I think if you used calibre you could even convert files to several of the other compatible formats. I haven't used it myself that much but everyone talks so highly of it.