Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-12-2012, 01:55 PM   #1
atordo
Connoisseur
atordo is a splendid one to beholdatordo is a splendid one to beholdatordo is a splendid one to beholdatordo is a splendid one to beholdatordo is a splendid one to beholdatordo is a splendid one to beholdatordo is a splendid one to beholdatordo is a splendid one to beholdatordo is a splendid one to beholdatordo is a splendid one to beholdatordo is a splendid one to behold

Device: Kindle Touch
Kindle Touch: execute script when wifi connection is established

I'm trying to trigger a script when wifi connection goes up, so I placed it in /etc/network/if-up.d (a symbolic link to it to be specific, but I guess that doesn't matter). The script has the correct permissions, but is not executed automatically.

Anyone knows if it's possible to trigger a script when network connection is established?

TIA.
atordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 01:57 PM   #2
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by atordo View Post
I'm trying to trigger a script when wifi connection goes up, so I placed it in /etc/network/if-up.d (a symbolic link to it to be specific, but I guess that doesn't matter). The script has the correct permissions, but is not executed automatically.

Anyone knows if it's possible to trigger a script when network connection is established?

TIA.
You can make an upstart script that triggers on whatever combination of conditions you want. Just model it after scripts in /etc/upstart. Be VERY careful, because ANY script that fails can make the rest of them NOT run, bricking your kindle.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-12-2012, 02:21 PM   #3
atordo
Connoisseur
atordo is a splendid one to beholdatordo is a splendid one to beholdatordo is a splendid one to beholdatordo is a splendid one to beholdatordo is a splendid one to beholdatordo is a splendid one to beholdatordo is a splendid one to beholdatordo is a splendid one to beholdatordo is a splendid one to beholdatordo is a splendid one to beholdatordo is a splendid one to behold

Wow, that sounds scary. Thanks for the hint (and the warning), I'll have a look at /etc/upstart, and not write anything for the time being, there's much (almost all) of KT internals I don't know.
Old 07-12-2012, 02:22 PM   #4
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by atordo View Post
Wow, that sounds scary. Thanks for the hint (and the warning), I'll have a look at /etc/upstart, and not write anything for the time being, there's much (almost all) of KT internals I don't know.
It was a LOT more scary when you had to solder serial port wires inside your kindle to debrick it. Not so bad now that we have USB "simple debricking" methods (even for the K3 now).

You will need this to get started: http://upstart.ubuntu.com/cookbook/upstart_cookbook.pdf

Last edited by geekmaster; 07-12-2012 at 02:26 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 03:13 PM   #5
silver18
THE NOOB
silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 5.3.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
Be VERY careful, because ANY script that fails can make the rest of them NOT run, bricking your kindle.
Agreed!
That's exactly how I bricked mine!
silver18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-13-2012, 05:06 AM   #6
atordo
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
Thanks for the link. Obviously I have a lot to learn before adventuring in tweaking the KT