Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 05-03-2012, 05:28 PM   #31
CharlieBird
¿Huh?
CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HiSense A7 CC, Fire HD6, Kobo Libra2
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
...if is Asus makes good and delivers a 7" T3 for $250

=X=
Are you referring to the Asus MeMO ME370T? I really am wanting a 7" device but feel I may be missing some deals waiting for this thing to show up.

I've not been able to find anything new. Has anyone else?
CharlieBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 05:37 PM   #32
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieBird View Post
Are you referring to the Asus MeMO ME370T? I really am wanting a 7" device but feel I may be missing some deals waiting for this thing to show up.

I've not been able to find anything new. Has anyone else?
Yes that's the one I'm referring to. I'm a bit skeptical it will come out at the $250 price point but who knows.

No there is nothing else rumor/announced on the horizon. There is only the rumor that Google will come out with a Nexus 7" tablet that will cost anywhere from $150-$200 and will have similar specs to the KFire.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2012, 05:59 PM   #33
CharlieBird
¿Huh?
CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HiSense A7 CC, Fire HD6, Kobo Libra2
I was reading up on the KFire just this morning as Amazon has it on sale today. Interesting, but think I'd get bored with it pretty fast and most definitely would end up kicking myself and feeling prodigal because some "must have" (MeMO?) is bound to shows up in the next couple months with better specs, so decided to save the $139 to add to $$ for a ???
CharlieBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 06:22 PM   #34
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieBird View Post
I was reading up on the KFire just this morning as Amazon has it on sale today. Interesting, but think I'd get bored with it pretty fast and most definitely would end up kicking myself and feeling prodigal because some "must have" (MeMO?) is bound to shows up in the next couple months with better specs, so decided to save the $139 to add to $$ for a ???
My wife gifted me the KFire for Christmas. I tried it for a week(I always try gadgets out for a week to give them a fair spin) and came to the conclusion I did not like it. It's a real nice looking device but it's not for me. I wanted a real tablet and freedom to read any format I wish as well as purchasing content from any vendor. I had this and more with my nook (CM7) I ended up returning the KFire.

=X=
Old 05-03-2012, 07:34 PM   #35
luismonkey
Banned
luismonkey can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsluismonkey can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsluismonkey can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsluismonkey can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsluismonkey can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsluismonkey can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsluismonkey can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsluismonkey can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsluismonkey can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsluismonkey can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsluismonkey can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Yes
Why didn't you try to root the KFire like the nook to get those extra features. I have a friend working on rooting the KFire too see if he can get ICS on there. Just for fun.
luismonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2012, 08:21 PM   #36
Harry_Y
Addict
Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle DX, Galaxy Tab 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by luismonkey View Post
I'm thinking about getting one. How is reading?

I really like it, no complaints at all.

I will admit for being historically anti touch screen
and anti back lighted reading this device could
change my mind on both counts.

Edit: I still prefer reading on my Kindle

Last edited by Harry_Y; 05-04-2012 at 10:44 AM.
Harry_Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:25 PM   #37
Harry_Y
Addict
Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle DX, Galaxy Tab 2
Quote:
Why didn't you try to root the KFire like the nook to get those extra features. I have a friend working on rooting the KFire too see if he can get ICS on there. Just for fun.
This one had 1GB memory the fire has 512MB, it also has a Mic, GPS,
2 cameras, Bluetooth, and an memory slot that can take a 32 GB card.

Quite a bit more for $50.

the Kindle fire is good for what it is intended for,
but if you plan to root it I'd go with the Galaxy tab
Harry_Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:30 PM   #38
=X=
Wizard

Quote:
Well to be honest I never rooted the nook for fun. At the time I didn't have a tablet and my wife gifted me the nook as well. I didn't want to hurt her feelings so I rooted and kept the nook. The Kindle was a repeat of the year previous but this time I had a tablet.

A the moment I want a real tablet experience for businesses reason and am not interested in tinkering.

Don't get me wrong the ROM devs are awesome and do some great work but their efforts are charitable, sometime its good to have company accountable.
Old 05-05-2012, 10:14 AM   #39
dougf4
Connoisseur
dougf4 has learned how to read e-booksdougf4 has learned how to read e-booksdougf4 has learned how to read e-booksdougf4 has learned how to read e-booksdougf4 has learned how to read e-booksdougf4 has learned how to read e-booksdougf4 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Nook Tablet (Rooted), jetbook lite
I bought one at Costco for $238.00 with a leatherette pouch. Costco gives a 90 day return on it so if Asus or Google or anybody trumps it over the next three months I may return it.

I really like it. The screen resolution is more than adequate. It plays at 720P very well, smooth and crisp.

The Samsung software overlay on the ICS OS is really intuitive and easy to manage.

Speakers are very loud for a 7" form factor - a real bonus when you can actually not have to plug in earphones to hear anything at all.

Processor is fine. I play "Riptide GP", a very intense jet-ski racing game with full fluidity and rapid, crisp graphics and sound.

E-reader functions are very good.

One apparent glitch is the functionality of the Micro SD card. I am experiencing what many others are reporting and that is that external apps refuse to be moved to the card. Hopefully between the OS and Samsung a fix will be forthcoming for this.

Finally, build quality is excellent - very solid feel and very light and comfortable in the hand. It's a fingerprint hound, but what tablet/phone isn't?

For the price, this is an amazing value. I don't see it as a stripped down version of anything, but as a stand-alone, more than adequate entertainment and light business tablet.
dougf4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 01:13 PM   #40
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougf4 View Post
One apparent glitch is the functionality of the Micro SD card. I am experiencing what many others are reporting and that is that external apps refuse to be moved to the card. Hopefully between the OS and Samsung a fix will be forthcoming for this.
The developer has to enable "move to SD" on the app, not all apps can be moved, and not all developers have enabled the feature in their apps. But anyway, unless you're running low on space, you're better off leaving the apps in the internal memory, they will load faster.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 10:58 PM   #41
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SGS3/PW2/Nexus72
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougf4 View Post
I bought one at Costco for $238.00 with a leatherette pouch. Costco gives a 90 day return on it so if Asus or Google or anybody trumps it over the next three months I may return it.

I really like it. The screen resolution is more than adequate. It plays at 720P very well, smooth and crisp.

The Samsung software overlay on the ICS OS is really intuitive and easy to manage.

Speakers are very loud for a 7" form factor - a real bonus when you can actually not have to plug in earphones to hear anything at all.

Processor is fine. I play "Riptide GP", a very intense jet-ski racing game with full fluidity and rapid, crisp graphics and sound.

E-reader functions are very good.

Finally, build quality is excellent - very solid feel and very light and comfortable in the hand. It's a fingerprint hound, but what tablet/phone isn't?

For the price, this is an amazing value. I don't see it as a stripped down version of anything, but as a stand-alone, more than adequate entertainment and light business tablet.
I picked up one the other day from costco after my KF ticked me off. Such a nice little tab! I had a tab 7.0 plus and I returned it because I couldnt justify the cost along with an ipad. I have no problem doing it with the GT2 7"
volwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 03:08 PM   #42
Serena
Zealot
Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Another vote for this tablet. I had the original Galaxy 7" tablet, but had problems with it lagging when I had too many apps open. No problems at all with this one. I haven't had to install the SD card yet, there's plenty of internal memory for all my apps.

This + Cool Reader makes a very nice nighttime reader. I still prefer my Sony PRS-350 when I have enough ambient light to read.
Serena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:49 AM   #43
anabolina
Groupie
anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current: tablet, kindle paperwhite, onyx boox t68. Past: Sony, nook
I'm really tempted by this one. While I have the nook color with cm9(ICS), it would be nice to have a tablet with a more reliable version of it. My nook killed Ann old 8GB flash card months ago and a couple of weeks ago, it froze up and when I restated it, none of the apps on the ad card loaded. Turns out, I had to format the new card and stay from scratch. grrr. My problem is that I keep changing my mind about form factor. 7 inch vs 10 inch... Thurs size of the nook is so portable and easy to hold, but a larger screen would be, you know, bigger.
anabolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:23 AM   #44
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by anabolina View Post
I'm really tempted by this one. While I have the nook color with cm9(ICS), it would be nice to have a tablet with a more reliable version of it. My nook killed Ann old 8GB flash card months ago and a couple of weeks ago, it froze up and when I restated it, none of the apps on the ad card loaded. Turns out, I had to format the new card and stay from scratch. grrr. My problem is that I keep changing my mind about form factor. 7 inch vs 10 inch... Thurs size of the nook is so portable and easy to hold, but a larger screen would be, you know, bigger.
I used a Nook color for a year, year and a half or so right after they first came out. Went to CM7 after about 6 months of rooted stock.

I'm running a 10" Toshiba Thrive now instead (a bit of a chunky 10" tablet). The difference in portability from a 7" to a 10" is huge. My wife has had an ipad 1 and now the Transformer Prime. 7" fits in a cargo pants pocket, coat pocket, small glovebox, etc. 10" is barely more portable than a laptop IMO. Think it over carefully.

I use my NST for reading on the go and use the tablet mostly at home now.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 02:31 PM   #45
Marseille
Guru
Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
Yes that's the one I'm referring to. I'm a bit skeptical it will come out at the $250 price point but who knows.
I'm not even confident it's still on the table at all. I'm hopeful, but not confident. Rumors of cancellation aside, there's just been such a blackout of new information even while info for transformers and the memo 171 flow freely and regularly.

If it did come out priced higher, I'd be okay with that. I like tegra 3 more and more these days and pixel density is still something I care about. Add to that the possibility of it being a transformer mini, and it's alluring even at a higher price point.

But the existence of tabs like this one and the nexus cut off its legs -- forcing Asus to at least mull downgrade or cancellation, or possibly to upgrade it and forget budget conscious altogether, making it into an infinity mini.
Marseille is offline   Reply With Quote