Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-09-2007, 12:30 PM   #1
pomlover
pomlover began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Two Gigabyte Ceiling?

Hi,

Does anyone know if the 2 GB ceiling which exists for SD cards also applies to memory pro duo cards? Does anyone have a 4 or 8 GB pro duo card where they've put more than 2 GB on it and the 505 reader doesn't recognize it?

Thanks!
pomlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 12:32 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
On the 505, memory sticks up to 8GB are supported. The 2GB limit applies to SD cards. This is of limited practical relevence, however, unless you plan to use the Sony as an MP3 player (which isn't a very good idea); the cataloging facilities of the Sony (like those of other readers) leave a lot to be desired, and having thousands of books on it just isn't practical.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2007, 04:57 PM   #3
pomlover
pomlover began at the beginning.

That's actually what iwas planning to do with all the mem - put mp3 files on it to listen while I read. I take it that you don't think it's a good idea cuz of the power drain?
pomlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 12:28 AM   #4
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
Between power drain and memory considerations, I would sooner use a regular mp3 player that's separate from the Reader. Frankly.I dunno why they even put mp3 capability in the Reader. It's not a Listener!
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 03:44 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pomlover View Post
That's actually what iwas planning to do with all the mem - put mp3 files on it to listen while I read. I take it that you don't think it's a good idea cuz of the power drain?
No, it wasn't actually that. It's more because I don't think you'll find the experience very rewarding; tracks are played in strict alphabetical order of ID3 tags and there are none of the sort by album/artist/genre that one finds in even the most basic of MP3 players.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2007, 07:48 AM   #6
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

Device: HP iPAQ211 / PRS 500, 700 and 505
I did put mp3 files on my reader when I first got it and tried reading/listening at the same time and quickly found that my listening experience was much improved when I reverted to using my normal mp3 player and kept the reader strictly for reading.

I have put my memory stick back into the reader to hold books which I have used PDFtoLRF to convert from googlebooks (strictly graphic files) and also books I have converted from html (with graphics) to lrf files, leaving the pure text files on the reader itself, since those are what I read most. The books on the memory stick are music books (history/theory/dictionaries) which I only use occasionally for reference.
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 04:45 PM   #7
spooky69
Stats:
spooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheese

What was Sony thinking with the MP3 interface? It seems like the device would be fully capable of performing basic folder management, but Sony has neglected to leave out this feature which would be very easy to get right. It really sounds like the user interface of this product varies from half-assed to completely incompetent, depending on what feature you're trying to use. Are there any user-created interfaces that address these problems?
spooky69 is offline   Reply With Quote