Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-02-2011, 11:16 AM   #1
plague006
plague006 has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookplague006 has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookplague006 has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookplague006 has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookplague006 has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookplague006 has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookplague006 has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookplague006 has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookplague006 has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookplague006 has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookplague006 has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single book

Device: kobo touch
Question <Resolved issue> FW 1.9.9 clipping text at the page bottom

Issue resolved. Big thanks to JedV, The Terminator, kiwipippa, PeterT for letting me know that with FW 1.9.9 epubs loaded from calibre had lines missing at the bottom of the screen.

In my opinion this topic is closed, but those who want to flame me for not upgrading the firmware of a defective KT can continue to do so at will.

Last edited by plague006; 12-02-2011 at 08:51 PM.
plague006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 11:33 AM   #2
Sound
Sound has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitySound has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitySound has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitySound has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitySound has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitySound has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitySound has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitySound has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitySound has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitySound has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitySound has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by plague006 View Post
I bought a KT yesterday, and because of another problem with my device I'm going to have to exchange or return it. I'm posting this to find out which of the two it will be.

The long and short of it: I have a library of ebooks from a previous ereader but when I try to read them on the KT, I find every 3-4 pages the bottom line is obscured by the page count. I can 'cheat' and modify the font and line spacing to see the hidden line but this is a wholly unacceptable solution.

I use calibre for my ebook management, my firmware is 1.9.9 (with no possibility of upgrading). Book previews included on the KT have no issues at all.

Thanks,
Matt

Enclosed: pics of two different books (from different sources) showing what I'm talking about. In photo 1, the blurring is just to prevent possible spoiling in the Song of Ice and Fire series.
Why exactly can't you upgrade the firmware? You are asking for a fix which is probably in the firmware upgrade.
Sound is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-02-2011, 11:49 AM   #3
plague006
plague006 has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookplague006 has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookplague006 has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookplague006 has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookplague006 has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookplague006 has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookplague006 has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookplague006 has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookplague006 has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookplague006 has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookplague006 has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single book

<Obsolete>

Last edited by plague006; 12-02-2011 at 08:40 PM.
Old 12-02-2011, 11:57 AM   #4
Sound
Sound has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitySound has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitySound has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitySound has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitySound has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitySound has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitySound has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitySound has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitySound has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitySound has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitySound has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

1) Do a factory reset
2) Uninstall your current kobo desktop
3) Make sure Calibre (and any other related programs are closed)
4) Attach Kobo to PC and leave it attached
5) Install Kobo Desktop from kobosetup.com
6) Run through the wizard

Hope that helps
Sound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 12:00 PM   #5
JedV
Kobo Toucher
JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

I avoid using the 'KDS' with my KT, with the exception of the first time setup of the device. After that initialization process, I have not had the need to launch that software at all.

I use wireless to update the firmware (simply press the sync button on the KT home screen) - do you have wireless? Text cut offs were a fixed glitch from a previous firmware upgrade.

I always sideload books by drag and drop or calibre. The KDS software is by no means needed except for initialization.
JedV is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-02-2011, 12:40 PM   #6
plague006

<Obsolete>

Last edited by plague006; 12-02-2011 at 08:40 PM.
Old 12-02-2011, 12:42 PM   #7
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
This was a problem in 1.9.9 just update it using the Kobo desktop app. Everyone had this problem with that firmware.

Just update the firmware it will fix it and you should always have the newest firmware for features that are added, like these;

Multiple bookmarks for all books.

Highlights and notes for all books.

Battery warning

Clock on menu

And I think some more that I can't remember.

Last edited by The Terminator; 12-02-2011 at 12:45 PM.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 12:43 PM   #8
kiwipippa
Fanatic
kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo glo, kobo touch (dead), kindle touch, android phone
Yes, I experienced this several firmware releases ago with books loaded via calibre. It was fixed some time ago and I've never seen it again - I'm now on 1.9.14
kiwipippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 01:03 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If you are unwilling to update your firmware, we unwilling to feel for you.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 01:40 PM   #10
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
There WERE issues with some fonts and an earlier firmware release. I did report them and the issue was resolved in 1.9.12.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 07:01 PM   #11
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Seconded. And why wouldn't you want to update your firmware? I always can't wait to get it loaded to my Kobo.
Old 12-02-2011, 08:38 PM   #12
plague006

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You're trolling me. I explained clearly why I _couldn't_ and not _wouldn't_ update my firmware. I exchanged the PoS and now things are fine and I'm running 1.9.14.

Thanks again to all those that pointed out that 1.9.9 was the problem, it made me opt for the exchange instead of the return.
Old 12-02-2011, 09:47 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You then have a problem with your computer if it cannot run Kobo's program to get it updated. I hope you get it fixed before the next firmware update.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 11:23 PM   #14
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
As a minor point of courtesy, it IS very nice for you to leave your posts alone... it tends to destroy the chain that others might learn from if they too have problems.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 11:32 PM   #15
The Terminator
Retired

Ok for one I had no idea that you COULDN'T update the firmware, my apologies.