Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-14-2011, 03:21 PM   #1
evwool
Connoisseur
evwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverevwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverevwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverevwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverevwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverevwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverevwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverevwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverevwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverevwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverevwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Palm M515, Palm VX, Kindle 3 WiFi
Kindle freezes when I highlight

A find on this forum shows that other Kindle users are experiencing the same problem with Kindles freezing after a Highlight. Any new solutions found on this yet?

I have found one thing...if I Highlight by using the Across arrow rather than using the Down arrow to highlight a line at the time, this seems to prevent freezing. I've also noticed that it helps if I don't hightlight too quickly and allow a second or two before I make the second click to end the highlight. I'm also learning not to keep clicking if it does freeze but simply to wait it out and let the Kindle shut down by itself which it eventually does do.
If I'm planning to do lots of highlighting, closing and re-opening a book occasionally also seems to help.
Also under suspicion is the Sort Order on the Home which puts the Most Recently used document at the top of the list. It would require the Kindle to constantly keep processing documents.
evwool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 08:00 AM   #2
Snowman
Zealot
Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.

Device: iPhone 5, Kindle K3, Kindle Voyage
Try this:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...4&postcount=11

My K3 has now been in this mode for about 4 months, and I have not had a repitition of the highlight/note issue.

I also seen suggested that you could set the Index.db in the search indexes to read-only, but I haven't tried that.

snowman
Snowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2011, 04:31 PM   #3
evwool
Connoisseur
evwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverevwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverevwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverevwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverevwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverevwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverevwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverevwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverevwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverevwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverevwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Hi Snowman, the writer of your link says that he wants to disable indexing since he never uses Search but I use Search alot and it sounds as if performing this routine could obstruct Search. Apart from preventing Highlight Freezes, what other effects would this routine have on a Kindle?
Old 08-16-2011, 03:27 AM   #4
Snowman
Zealot
Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evwool View Post
... but I use Search alot and it sounds as if performing this routine could obstruct Search. Apart from preventing Highlight Freezes, what other effects would this routine have on a Kindle?
evwool:
What this option does is to prevent the indexing procedure from starting at inconvenient times. And starting a re-index of the current book as soon as I enter a bookmark or a highlight is thoroughly inconvenient to me! The option does not inhibit searches of already indexed material.

Although I rarely search, my own routine is
  • add a new block of books
  • enable indexing (or reboot would also work)
  • leave device connected overnight to index the new content and charge up
  • disable indexing again

I have not noticed any adverse effects, and I do a fair amount of highlighting. I do not use the "shared highlighting" social aspect, so I don't know if this is affected.

snowman
Old 08-16-2011, 04:40 PM   #5
evwool
Connoisseur

When you say 'Reboot' do you mean just put the Kindle to 'sleep' with the slider switch and then 'wake' it the same way?
Do I really need to leave the Kindle connected overnight? Does it really take that long to index books?
How do I switch Indexing on again?
Advert
Old 08-16-2011, 09:15 PM   #6
Snowman
Zealot

Quote:
When you say 'Reboot' do you mean just put the Kindle to 'sleep' with the slider switch and then 'wake' it the same way?
Sleep is just screen-saver or low-power mode; wakeup takes maybe 1.5 secs. Reboot on the other hand restarts the complete operating system, and takes several minutes to do so. Do this by holding the slider for about 40 secs, or by the sequence [home]->[menu]-><settings>->[menu]-><restart>.
Quote:
Do I really need to leave the Kindle connected overnight?
I just do this to ensure the battery is charged. Also if you have loaded a lot of books since the last indexing run, the indexing process can drain the battery quite quickly since it is cpu intensive, so it is as well to leave the kindle attached and therefore using external power.
Quote:
Does it really take that long to index books?
My observations show that a typical novel will take about 90 secs to index. YMMV.
Quote:
How do I switch Indexing on again?
I've always rebooted to do this, then disabled indexing again once the indexing process completed. I've had another play around, and in fact this is the only way to do it. When I originally found the ~disableIndexing trick, it worked so well I never bothered to test the ~stopIndexing and ~startIndexing debug options

snowman